HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

that statment is not true of ALL gun hunters and ALL bowhunters. I hunted with a bow the first time last year, but hunted with a rifle for 8 years prior.

i did not change. just my weapon did. i have killed most of my deer with my rifle within my own bow range. some of my best rifle spots were in thicker cover than anyone could weave an arrow through. and some of my best bow hunting spots have been fairly open areas on ridges.

funny thing... i bowhunted 1 area alot all season. come the first day of rifle season i was in the same spot...with a gun in my hand.

im not like ALL gunhunters though. ive always hunted thick areas and scouted my butt off and played the wind etc etc. to me, the transition between gun and bow hunting is the weapon in my hand..i cant stand getting lumped together with spray and pray gun hunters...or the snipers that shoot deer 500 yards away etc etc.

i also hunt with a flintlock rifle. i really enjoy that. im not sure what i enjoy more, flintlock or bow hunting. rifle hunting sorta lost is spark with me. too many guys in the woods, and shooting a deer at 20yds with a 3006 didnt get my heart pumping like it once did. it became a filled freezer. i enjoy rifle hunting still. but like flintlock and bowhunting more. diffrent seasons, diffrent atmosphere, more of a challenge etc etc...