Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter? >

Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Whats the defining difference between a bow hunter an a gun hunter?

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Sure there are different challenges(mainly in taking the shot and max range) but you know that ahead of time and should be setting up your bow hunts taking those things into consideration. Hunting difficulty is measured by more than just the range of your weapon. Along with the challenges there are many advantages to hunting during archery season which more than balance the playing field in the hunters favor. It is deer hunting, not rocket science no matter what weapon. Deer for the most part arehighly predictable creatures of habit. Their lives are based on food, cover, avoiding predators and breeding( like I said, for the most part). Now deer are very cagey and skilled in the art of survival but they are not capable of a whole lot of complex thought and I would argue that we as humans pretty much have the corner on that market and an extreme advantage because of it, we are not average predators. Lots of people seem to think that bowhunting is more difficult, why? Because you have to get closer to the deer. That is pretty thin, it only takes into consideration the disadvantages of archery equipment andnever considers the advatages of archery season. But IMO if you are a good(or even average hunter) you should be able to put yourself in a position to kill deer with any weapon you want at any time of the season. Again, just my opinion but for the record I too hunt onthe Eastern Shore and if a hunterhas trouble killing deer on the Shore(with any weapon)they are doing something wrong.
Great post NEW61375......I'm glad someone else "gets it".
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: davepjr71
Your range is vastly increased with all other weapons than a bow, period.
davepjr71,

If you have hunted with a pistol like you said, you would have known that's not true.

I sometimes like to use my 4 5/8inRuger single action 45 Long Colt to hunt deer. It has the same effective range as my compound bow. Shots from this pistol should be kept under 40 yards.

In fact I would be more comfortable and I'm more accurate taking a 40yd shot with my bow than a 40yd off hand shot with my pistol. With that short a sight radius and iron sights anything out at that distance is tricky. Not to mention the killing power of the .45LC or even .44Mag out past 40yds is greatly reduced.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only reason I was "spouting off" was to let people know that these types of threads only serve to further divide hunters.

I agree with that. And it only took one sentence to state it.

I don't think it was the original intent of the topic though.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gun hunt and bow hunt. The terrain I hunt in lends itself to shots under 50 yards so gun or bow doesn't matter much. So why do I hunt with a gun? I believe, whether right or wrong, that a gun gives me a cleaner kill. I haven't had a deer go more than ten yards afterI shot him/her in the last ten years. I don't like for the animal to suffer. And sometimes I get a shot that is out of range of my bow....if it is gun season, I won't have the problem of range limitation.

Do I believe that bow hunting is more challenging? Absolutely. You can't just point and pull a trigger. The shot itself is more challenging and prone to give your position away.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:51 AM

you can walk right by a bowhunter but a gun hunter can be spotted a mile away,deck in orange. or five will walke by driving deer[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never intended to mislead anyone with this question, but some ran with it in the wrong direction. I guess I made a mistake when I asked for opinions,"my mistake", never meant tooffend anyone.Thanks for the positive post.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigJ12,

I think we are both on the same page about this. Hunting is hunting and everyone should consider it the same. The challenges in different states change how you may hunt too. It's a shame that people would ever consider themselves elite because of the style. The best hunters are the ones that spend time in the field learning about their quarry and soaking up info from others.

As for set-up and such. I try and set-up the same no matter what. However, usually I because I hunt in with others during rifle I sometimes end up on fields instead of in the little pocketsI like to bow hunt in.

As for dogs. I personally would not hunt deer with dogs.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

davepjr71,

If you have hunted with a pistol like you said, you would have known that's not true.

I sometimes like to use my 4 5/8inRuger single action 45 Long Colt to hunt deer. It has the same effective range as my compound bow. Shots from this pistol should be kept under 40 yards.

In fact I would be more comfortable and I'm more accurate taking a 40yd shot with my bow than a 40yd off hand shot with my pistol. With that short a sight radius and iron sights anything out at that distance is tricky. Not to mention the killing power of the .45LC or even .44Mag out past 40yds is greatly reduced.
Each to their own on this one. The effective range of a 44 mag on deer sized game is greater than 40 yds though. I'm comfortable at 80 yds with my 44. However, my 929 Powerport Classic has a 8.5 inch target barrel on it. Not a 4 5/8 stubby. That's where the equipment's affective range isan interesting discussion in itself and a good comparison.

I probably would not shoot past 40 yds with the barrel on your Ruger either. Short site radius adds to error. So, maybe not vastly increased. but still increased the same in my case. For your weapon of choicethat is not the case. Revolver hunting for deer is very challenging though. I have a tough time making myself keep the rifle home and just going revolver. I've even thought about just using the bow during rifle also.

In Western PA where I grew-up I didn't take a single shot past about 80 yds for 18 yrs. Then moved to MD and have shot past that distance every year.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

davepjr71,

Each to their own on this one. The effective range of a 44 mag on deer sized game is greater than 40 yds though. I'm comfortable at 80 yds with my 44. However, my 929 Powerport Classic has a 8.5 inch target barrel on it. Not a 4 5/8 stubby. That's where the equipment's affective range isan interesting discussion in itself and a good comparison.

I probably would not shoot past 40 yds with the barrel on your Ruger either. Short site radius adds to error. So, maybe not vastly increased. but still increased the same in my case. For your weapon of choicethat is not the case. Revolver hunting for deer is very challenging though. I have a tough time making myself keep the rifle home and just going revolver. I've even thought about just using the bow during rifle also.

In Western PA where I grew-up I didn't take a single shot past about 80 yds for 18 yrs. Then moved to MD and have shot past that distance every year.
Now were talking...I agree with everything you just said. And yes to each their own.

I too will take longer shots with my scoped 7 1/2 barrel Ruger SBH. But with my shorter barreled revolvers I won't. There is a big difference in ballistics between the two size barrels.......especially after 40yds or so.

I get a great sense of accomplishment when hunting with my revolvers as well as with my long range varmint rifles too. And yes I greatly enjoy bow hunting too, infact it's one of my favorite ways to hunt...for many reasons.

It just turns my stomach when I hear or read how bow hunting is the ultimate in hunting and how it's so much harder than gun hunting and how bow hunting is this and it's that and bla...bla...bla...freakin..bla.

Then there are posts like this that the mear subject line hints that there indeed IS a difference when in reality the only true difference between the two, the the weapon in their hands.

If bow huntert truely wanted to know how differently a gun hunterpursues their quary vs how a bow hunter does it, he should have asked that. But when you ask for a "defining difference" between the two "hunters" you are alreadypredisposing yourself to others that youbelievethereis one.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

It just turns my stomach when I hear or read how bow hunting is the ultimate in hunting and how it's so much harder than gun hunting and how bow hunting is this and it's that and bla...bla...bla...freakin..bla.

OK, I thinkI got your point.........