Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2017 Turkey Contest
Team 2  ☆☆~ Holler back ~ ☆☆ >

Team 2 ☆☆~ Holler back ~ ☆☆

Community

Team 2 ☆☆~ Holler back ~ ☆☆

Old 04-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Walmart sells a fish scale with a tape measure for less than $5..congrats on awesome birds but i dont think estimated weights will be allowed..
Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome bird Southernstrut, Congrats!

I missed a nice bird a couple days ago..maybe 6yards from my blind. With the close shot and down angle, my arrow clipped the bottom of my blind window...oops! Lol

Last edited by zmax hunter; 04-09-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmax hunter
Walmart sells a fish scale with a tape measure for less than $5..congrats on awesome birds but i dont think estimated weights will be allowed..
Not an estimate. Weighed on floor scales with me holding it, took difference without. Sorry no pictures of that process. Believe me if I wanted to estimate I'd say he was 24 lbs. I guess if he wasn't a mountain bird that has had his exercise this spring he would've scored 70. I don't care enough about an online turkey contest to cheat. I have real world problems to deal with. Not being a smart butt, just being real and letting you know there's no cheating going on. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

you are mistaken,
i never said i thought you were cheating,
i never said you were estimating weight,
That post of mine you are quoting is simply telling everyone about an economical scale.
it is uncle nicky who gave an estimated weight..which will most likely not be allowed.
I dont make the rules nor am i the one who enforces them.
I actually said "Congrats to you on an awesome bird"
Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

I do have one of the Walmart scales, but it was a hot day in Georgia when I shot the bird, and was more worried about getting him in the freezer than searching for the scale. Plenty of season left, if the bird I killed based on an estimated weight isn't legit, I'll shoot another 2 or 3 this year, no worries.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

I am just happy that our team members are scoring some feathers.
Congratulations to the team members bagging feathers.
Lets all bag some.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 AM
Spike

I wonder if there's a base weight that can be applied in the event of no weight...like 15# or 14# or whatnot. That way there's a score, it just might be a bit dinged. Unless it's a jake or an Osceola, I would expect it to be >16#
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmax hunter
you are mistaken,
i never said i thought you were cheating,
i never said you were estimating weight,
That post of mine you are quoting is simply telling everyone about an economical scale.
it is uncle nicky who gave an estimated weight..which will most likely not be allowed.
I dont make the rules nor am i the one who enforces them.
I actually said "Congrats to you on an awesome bird"
Understood zmax, I really wasn't meaning to come off defensive. I must have misinterpreted your comment. Apologies and thank you for the congrats. Good luck and safe hunting.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ok I have asked the contest committee for a ruling on Uncle Nickys bird.

I am on that committee of 3.
We did have a Claus at one time stating if you did not have a wt score but pictures you did receive a general NWTF score.
But now I don't see it listed.

So I asked for a ruling.

I'll get back to you....

My Learn to Hunt was very rewarding. 3 brand new hunters scored birds. And I got taught a great lesson by my student which was my own grandson.
Finally I have a grandchild interested in hunting. For this LTH you must attend a half day class all about hunting and this time turkeys.
Presentations on wild turkey biology, the current hunting regulations, firearm safety, and then hunting strategies are are presented.
I taught 3 segments and a dnr biologist taught what a turkey is.
I am a certified hunter ed instrucror.

so after that I took my grandson out.
I did get a 2 yr old in at 15 yards. My grandson did get the birds head in the scope. But he never took the shot.
So after the bird ran off and the whole flock moved on I asked what he saw through the scope on that youth 20 ga he used. I mean he had fired that shotgun several times at turkey head spate targets with great success. I was at a loss.
But then he says....Poppa... I saw lots of turkeys facing me in your pictures you showed on the big screen. I did not see any of the back of the head. I had the scope on the bird as it ran away from me. I clearly could see the back if the head and my cross hairs centered where the neck skin starts....But could I shoot the back of the head?
Whoa!!!!! SON...YES...not your fault. You should have had a better teacher!
Wow....did I learn something there.
And then we talked about not taking the shot and why.
Was a successful hunt. The boy has the start to some very fine Ethics! To which I am helping with.
and he wants to come back......
I have helped many students over the years. Very proud of over 1200 hunter ed graduates.
But was never prouder of my own.
Well done Bryant!

Signed
Proud Poppa
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Really, it's no big deal. Plenty of season left and I'm hunting multiple states. I'll make sure & weight the bird next time and take pictures. Sorry if I caused any hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.