HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 2 ☆☆~ Holler back ~ ☆☆
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ok I have asked the contest committee for a ruling on Uncle Nickys bird.

I am on that committee of 3.
We did have a Claus at one time stating if you did not have a wt score but pictures you did receive a general NWTF score.
But now I don't see it listed.

So I asked for a ruling.

I'll get back to you....

My Learn to Hunt was very rewarding. 3 brand new hunters scored birds. And I got taught a great lesson by my student which was my own grandson.
Finally I have a grandchild interested in hunting. For this LTH you must attend a half day class all about hunting and this time turkeys.
Presentations on wild turkey biology, the current hunting regulations, firearm safety, and then hunting strategies are are presented.
I taught 3 segments and a dnr biologist taught what a turkey is.
I am a certified hunter ed instrucror.

so after that I took my grandson out.
I did get a 2 yr old in at 15 yards. My grandson did get the birds head in the scope. But he never took the shot.
So after the bird ran off and the whole flock moved on I asked what he saw through the scope on that youth 20 ga he used. I mean he had fired that shotgun several times at turkey head spate targets with great success. I was at a loss.
But then he says....Poppa... I saw lots of turkeys facing me in your pictures you showed on the big screen. I did not see any of the back of the head. I had the scope on the bird as it ran away from me. I clearly could see the back if the head and my cross hairs centered where the neck skin starts....But could I shoot the back of the head?
Whoa!!!!! SON...YES...not your fault. You should have had a better teacher!
Wow....did I learn something there.
And then we talked about not taking the shot and why.
Was a successful hunt. The boy has the start to some very fine Ethics! To which I am helping with.
and he wants to come back......
I have helped many students over the years. Very proud of over 1200 hunter ed graduates.
But was never prouder of my own.
Well done Bryant!

Signed
Proud Poppa