Team 5 ~ Strut Stoppers

Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 PM
  #31  
Typical Buck
 
Arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 955
Default

welcome aboard, Clemson! Great pics everybody and congrats on your big deer, Zim.
Arjuna is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM
  #32  
Typical Buck
 
Arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 955
Default

I'm taking my boy out for opening day this Saturday...supposed to rain, but maybe we can get a break and catch them headed to the fields to dry off...
Arjuna is offline  
Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 AM
  #33  
Nontypical Buck
 
RPD63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lutz, Florida. Turkey woods in the spring.
Posts: 1,143
Default

Good luck to you and your son.
RPD63 is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  #34  
Typical Buck
 
buckman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW, missouri
Posts: 822
Default

Seen the first 2 Strutters of the year Monday. With about 10 Hens. Things are heating up!
buckman11 is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM
  #35  
Zim
Nontypical Buck
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 1,111
Default

Originally Posted by skipper21
Hey Zim. I hunt in zone 2 as well. A lot of birds around here!
Ya I'll be grabbing a 6th season leftover. Already got a 5th season in 1st draw. I live in NE Illinois so zone 2 is the closest and spend a lot of time scouting there.

Just learned to leave decoys at home for these late season hunts. The toms are very well educated by then.
Zim is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
  #36  
Spike
 
skipper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by Zim
Ya I'll be grabbing a 6th season leftover. Already got a 5th season in 1st draw. I live in NE Illinois so zone 2 is the closest and spend a lot of time scouting there.

Just learned to leave decoys at home for these late season hunts. The toms are very well educated by then.
Yeah turkeys get very smart (for a bird) by fifth and sixth season so yes it is much better to learn their habits and set up according to that. I have a full body mount of my tom I got last year and they never expect anything with that as the decoy. It's crazy how much of a difference that makes!
skipper21 is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 PM
  #37  
car
Typical Buck
 
car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Circleville Oh
Posts: 974
Default

Checking in! I'll be hunting here in Ohio and WV. Hey Zim, I too had the highest scoring bird one year and I think I was right at the bottom the nest year. Good luck guys

Last edited by car; 03-12-2015 at 05:05 PM.
car is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 PM
  #38  
Zim
Nontypical Buck
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 1,111
Default

Originally Posted by car
Checking in! I'll be hunting here in Ohio and WV. Hey Zim, I too had the highest scoring bird one year and I think I was right at the bottom the nest year. Good luck guys
Did you ever get your check for first prize? I'm still waitin on mine three years later!
Zim is offline  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM
  #39  
Zim
Nontypical Buck
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 1,111
Default

Originally Posted by skipper21
Yeah turkeys get very smart (for a bird) by fifth and sixth season so yes it is much better to learn their habits and set up according to that. I have a full body mount of my tom I got last year and they never expect anything with that as the decoy. It's crazy how much of a difference that makes!
I have found pods of uneducated birds that ran in to my decoys at times, if a spot got isolated by flooding or something to keep hunters out. However, more often than not (~90%) this is not the case late season. I've seen some of the most interesting evasive measures taken then. Suspicious looks, skirting woodlines peeking out, big loops around if I was in their paths. You name it I probably saw it. All a learning experience.

When I finally gave in and put the dekes away, I had much closer encounters right up to my blind regularly. I won't hunt in WI without the blind due to Lyme's Disease. Know too many who contracted. Not worth the risk. Also keeps other hunters away because they see me from a distance.
Zim is offline  
Old 03-13-2015, 05:09 AM
  #40  
car
Typical Buck
 
car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Circleville Oh
Posts: 974
Default

Originally Posted by Zim
Did you ever get your check for first prize? I'm still waitin on mine three years later!
Check..... Sure I got mine lol.
car is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.