Community

Team 3 Sons of Fanarchy

Old 04-23-2015, 06:14 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Ok....7 days of season left here in AL. I'm off call now and took off work until season is over!! got a few places lined up, one large track that doesn't get turkey hunted if it all works out. Anyway, woods are thick now and birds are still out there....I'm gonna give it a go.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Good luck EFH! My youngest hunted wi the bro in law last nite and today since I had to work. Last n ite he had his first miss! had two within 20 yards. He's handling it pretty well and glad he got to feel that rush, said he started breathing heavy and the gun got wobbley! Next time I'm sure he'll deal with the pressure a little better. I'm taking his brother to my spot in the morning, weather looks perfect and hopefully the birds are fired up!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Think today was my most memorable hunt I've ever had. Just killin me I can't figure out how to get pics on here since my computer crapped out!! Posted in the turkey forum earlier but wanted to share the story with you guys. Both my boys first year after turkeys, last post was my youngest and was planning on taking my 8 yr old out after work last nite but my short day turned into a13 hr day and didn't get home till after8 last nite. Only get one tag here and my seasons over so as tired as I was it kinda hurt getting up at 4:30 this morning to take him out but he was ready so it was on!
Perfect morning, they gobbled good on the roost and continued on the ground but nothing very close. The boy fell asleep and curled up in his chair after the first half hour or so. I continued to call off and on, sometimes they'd gobble back but still nothing close. About a quarter to 8 one gobbled straight out on the neighbors prop about 300 yards out, by far the closest yet. A few minutes later he lit up again and this time it woke the boy up. Thru the trees way out in the neighbors feild I see a strutter and can catch a glimpse of another.
We are on the edge of a feild looking down into about a 60 yard wide creek bottom then the prop line. Two toms and a jake appear all in full strut just over the line. They are straight down in front of us about65 yards out puttin on a show, I call they gobble but won't budge. After calling light, aggressive, and everything in between over the next 20 min, they still hold tight. So I put the call away and waited. At least 20 more minutes go by and FINALLY one Tom followed by the jake cross the prop line and take the perfect path right down in front. The Tom steps into the best possible spot you could ever want a turkey to be, stops with his head up and the boy is shouldered with the safety off. Bam, he's down perfect shot he barely flops.
What a cool hunt! Was intense and took forever and the boy kept his cool thru the whole thing and made a perfect shot. I couldn't be more proud! 20 lbs, 8 in. Beard and 1 in. Spurs.
Sorry for the long read guys, but just can't stop thinking about this one and had to share it! Thanks!

Last edited by j76; 04-26-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

That is AWESOME!!

Got my heart racing just reading about it!!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Good job dad!!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Good story j76!
-Jake
Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just stopping by to post a pic of j76's turkey for him.. I had to down size it some in order to post it j76.. I posted your son's on the other thread you started.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-27-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Great job! Congrats to the first of many more turkeys in his career! Love the story
Old 04-27-2015, 06:45 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! Gotta try and get my youngest on one now. Only have hunted two days this season and have got two out of the same spot. So any things possible I guess. Hopefully we can make it out this Sunday.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job j76. It's just as fun helping someone else get a bird, especially their first. I helped a friend get her first turkey this season. I got it all on film. It was an 18 pounder with 1 1/2" spurs. Now go get you another bird.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

awesome j76 congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.