Community

Team 2 ~ Team Turknado

Old 03-18-2015, 05:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jepcho
Just had to stop by and say I love you team name. It is pretty awesome. You're gonna lose to the defending champs, but you name is great! Lol
Here is a Fact you will need to overcome!

No Defending Champ to date was a repeat champ yet and I have been conducting this contest for quite some time!

Luck to you but the odds are against you.

JW
Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol. Time will tell. Good luck to you as well
Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Joe....Arrow has the score thread up. Don't forget to post on there.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Any turkey wearing a grass skirt & coconut shell top would get a pass from me.

Here's the numbers from the first one I busted.
wt: 16#
beard: 6"
L spur: .875"
R spur .75"
NWTF Score: 44.25

I shot this joker at 15yds. I sat under a scrubby tree/bush uphil from where I had heard a few gobblers the morning before. I waited for the first hen to tree call before I made any calls. I heard 2 gobbles 60-70yds to my 1-2 o'clock. After a 5-10mins, I heard him fly down, but couldn't see anything. He was across a treeline, in a open area I know. Over the next 35-40mins, I responded to 3-4 hens at my 12, 10 and 9). The whole time, a gobbler repsonded to just about every call, from me or the real hens. Once he sounded like he was moving off, I angled to my right moving about 50yds closer to the tree line. I called softly and he gobbled right back, but farther. I waited 5mins, and heard one hen do a kee-kee and then some cuts. I moved 10yds closer behind a fallen tree and tall grass. I called 2 X and he gobbled sounding like he was moving off with his hens. I waited and he gobbled closer to the opening in the treeline about 40yds away. I waited some more, and he gobbled even closer...then I see his head at the grass tops. He was following a shallow dry wash into the field he thought I was in.

As soon I could see his beard, at 7am I punched his ticket. It was a cold drizzly AM, and being the only hunter in that area helped. Good packable rain gear is a great thing to have!
That's a good way to start, congrats!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My grandson, Trevor, and I went out and set our blind up today. This is where we will be doing most of our turkey hunting this spring. Here are some pictures. Trevor is practicing doing some calling here in the 1st one. In the second picture Trevor is in the blind. I took a view of the field we will be hunting. The turkey roost in these trees surrounding the entire field. Here is a pic of the front of the blind. Most of the turkeys roost in the trees behind the blind. They fly down in the field or in the surrounding trees. The last picture shows that the yotes have been eating good unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-trevor-blind.jpeg   Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-trevor-blind.jpeg   Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-view-field.jpeg   Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-view-blind2.jpeg   Team 2 ~ Team Turknado-trevor-bones.jpeg  

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 03-20-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ManofTheFall,
Best of luck to you and Trevor this spring. Geat job.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I need to get this current Hunter Ed course taught so I can go north. Easter weekend I teach a Learn to Turkey Hunt program with the WI DNR, Local NTF Chapter and my local Trap club. I present the 5 hour seminar and then we take the students out for a half day free Mentored turkey hunt.

Then the following weekend is Youth Hunt. Hoping I can find someone from that class. That is one reason we go the weekend before. For those students under 17 yrs of age we can re-date the kill tag. Make it a youth tag.
Then I take old people out for opening.

My first hunt is 4/20 in Michigan.
And then every day after that until May 26 in WI.

JW
Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats, Joe Great job!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well, the NWTF Banquet is over. Now I can start shooting my bow. April 13 is my big day to start hunting. I have been scouting, saw some big old toms. I will be going to IL, CO. and Neb. I wish everyone good luck
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Team Turknado, if you haven't sent me a snail mail address, please PM it to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.