Community

Team 2 ~ Team Turknado

Old 03-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Spike

Well, got my clothes, decoys, blind, chairs, gun, shells, calls all located, today. Now all I need to do before April 20th is buy a license, set out cameras, scout, buy an extra tru double mouth call. If I am lucky, I may get invited to Kansas before then.
Usually, I don't start getting ready until the day before season.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My seasons open on April 29. Gotta go visit some land owners in CT and get permission slips signed, also may pick up a new spot here in RI if things work out. Won't be able to get to it until after the beginning of April though.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I have just about everything ready here as well except the new license for this year. Now we just have to wait for April 18th for youth weekend then April 20th for the opener.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Not even started getting ready here yet. Cleaned out the vest last year and now need to restock it. Have to get permission slips signed and have my eyes on a couple new properties. The worst that can happen is they can say no. I did, however, already got my license and tag.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go Get'em guys!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Still getting shutout in Alabama. Two days in a row we had birds under a 100 yards that just wouldn't commit. First bird got to the point you could hear the rattle in his gobble. The second one we got in with him on the roost but he wouldn't answer a call. Neither day did we feel like the birds were ready.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I went back north quickly after I finished teaching my second hunter education class Saturday night. I am to teach a 3rd course here in Middle Inlet. I always have a bedroom window open even at 10 below. This morning at 6:39 AM I was awoken by the sound of a fly down Gobble - was a nasty morning too. He would not answer me at all as I did cut a bit at him. That surprised me so I left him alone. I have not seen him yet but I should. My neighbor say he is a 12 Incher! LOL
So we will see.
Later on Sunday afternoon after I had finished the workbood handout for this class I took a ride to scout as I am teaching a Learn To Hunt program for the State of WI. Yep Learn to Turkey Hunt! And I found that the big toms are splitting up. I saw mature Toms in pairs or singles all cruising. And I found the hen flocks - large groups yet. One flock was well over 100 birds.....I tried to take a picture but the truck behind me was far too close.

Our mentor hunt is Saturday.....Youth Hunt April 11, 12 - opening is the 15th. I am to help two others on the 15th. My tags don't start until 4/20. Then I hunt every day until May 26. I have 5 WI tags to play with and a Mich tag. And I will get at least 2 more WI tags.

JW
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I can tell you guys that things are starting to heat up. Tomorrow opens the northern portion of the Alabama season. I've got a good feeling. Weather is supposed to be fantastic.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Shutout yesterday. 4 gobbling birds all within "drumming" range. One came to my calling but busted me trying to peep around a tree to find him. The rest kept bringing it...for four more hours. Never could get em to break strut and come in gun range.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try 'small calls' and scratching in the leaves. Make a few tree calls, then no more yelps. Try using soft contented clucks, and maybe a purr or two every 15-20mins, and scratching. Try sounding like a happy feeding hen.

Are you putting a decoy out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.