Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not afraid to try anything new or different.. Those birds have been driving me crazy doing all that gobbling and then just stay back. I am planning on sneaking in as far as I dare to and see if I can get one to come to me then. I did see one of them in a different cutting there once but no chance on getting close enough for a shot.. That one was strutting and saw me as I tried to find a place to hide in on him. He turned and run but, I am guessing he is now near those other birds as I have not heard him in that area anymore..
Old 06-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Kenny!! Way to end the season, on the last day too. Congrats!

Phil,
I agree with Kenny about calling at them a little more if they are gobbling that much on the ground, and about closing the distance. Again, this is based off of how I would hunt them in the midwest here. But if I was you, I would close the distance, just making sure not to get to close and get busted. Try and make sure they have nothing major between you and them if you can, such as creeks, fences or anything along those lines, and then call your little heart out. You kind of have to read the birds, there may be a time once they come part way in that you need to shut up, or they may just like you calling at them most of the way in. But get them answering you and keep them interested for a while, eventually curiosity may get the best of them.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys I will be back at it again on Thursday morning as early as I can get in there.. I will try to sneak in on top of a hill where there maybe less slash laying around. That slash is to hard to walk threw and not make any noise. Just so many darn many branches and tree tops laying every where.. But I am not about to give up on them as I know they are in there..
Old 06-02-2015, 01:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

camokenny sorry I was not able to get yours posted last night.. I had to replace a ball joint on the jeep. My wife had to go to Canada today to visit a sister who is in the hospital there. I will get them up for sure this evening once I get home from work..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-02-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, sorry I have not been checking in frequently. I have been very busy with work and my daughters softball. Congrats to Kenny on the great turkey season!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is camokenny's bird.. Way To Go Kenny !!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-02-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys it has been another great contest it is has been great being on the team with each of you.. I want to congratulate all of you on your birds as well as the others not as fortunate!! We all have enjoyed our hunting and stayed safe doing it.. Yes, give yourselves a pat on the back on a job well done!! I wish we would of won this contest so that we could give it another try!! I have enjoyed it all and hope you all did as well. Thank you all for letting me be the captain of the team.. It has been and is one of the best teams here!! Even with 2 guys missing we gave them all a good run for it! It has been great!

I know we still have a few more days left but it does not look good for us this time around. Even if I get an upgrade I am afraid it most likely will not be enough. I will be out there trying in the morning again and perhaps this evening after work to see if I can get one to roost for me.. Thanks again team !!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well every one I was not able to get on a bird this past week..Yesterday I saw 2 different hens.. They were in different areas 1 of the hens had someplace between 15 to 20 poults with her.. I wish I had my camera with me as they scampered threw the brush and grass along side the road.. It was great to see them..
I feel as if I let the team down when i blew it on those 2 big birds early in the season.. It has been a great team to be on for the last 2 years! I wish we all could of stayed together again for another year! Anyways I know we did well in the standings again and we were even running with 2 team members missing the whole contest.. So take care guys and hopefully some of us will be back on a team together next year..

We did come in first place for as far as the best total score of all birds.. As well as Congrats to camokenny on getting the highest scoring bird of the contest again! Way To Go camokenny!! I wish we all could of help you along as you surely did a fantastic job at bring in the birds!!

Congrats to everyone that brought in the birds again! Also to the rest of the team members for getting out there and trying to help us all along and staying safe while doing it!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-07-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Our turkey numbers is down as well bigc870.. But, it is not stopping me from hunting them.. Our count is down because of 2 harsh winters on them back to back.. The first was because of the amount of ice storms and this past winter was because the amount of fluffy snow that came back to back.. Taking a few toms out will not hurt them to bad.. As the toms are like an old buck deer traveling around looking for mates to breed with.. It just means less fighting and more hens to breed is how I see it.. Last fall we had a pile of turkeys every where and this spring I am guessing is only a quarter of what we had.. They will be building back up though.

Phil in my whole county only 12 turkeys where killed this spring and in the fall turkey hunting is closed for my county and a couple of others. That is why leave them be. We are ranked dead last in the state. I pass on them in archery season also even though I can take 2 birds.

Phil are you done hunting?

Is anyone still hunting on a our team?

Is the contest over for this year?
Old 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigc870
Phil in my whole county only 12 turkeys where killed this spring and in the fall turkey hunting is closed for my county and a couple of others. That is why leave them be. We are ranked dead last in the state. I pass on them in archery season also even though I can take 2 birds.

Phil are you done hunting?

Is anyone still hunting on a our team?

Is the contest over for this year?
Yes my season closed yesterday..

The contest was to close today bigc870.. I have quite a few stickers I will soon be sending out to those that has pm'd me their mailing address.. If you want any bigc870 or anyone else pm me your mailing address.. They are the HNI Hunting contest stickers for this year.. Joe A. put them together so anyone wants one feel free to pm me so I know how many to put in the envelopes.. Thanks Phil..

Also guys around a mile from where I have been hunting a lady that works on our crew hit one of those turkeys on me Friday.. She called me tonight here at work to let me know.. It did a lot of damage to her brand new pick-up truck.. The truck only had around 300 miles on it.. I told her she should of called me I would of heading up that way to try and find them.. She stated she almost did.. She hates them as she has hit a couple of them before..

It has been great being on the team with all of you and hopefully some of us will be back on a team again next year..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.