Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went out the last two mornings and didn't hear anything either morning. I'm not too concerned yet because I know they are in there. But at the same time it's reassuring to hear something. I did drive around tonight I saw several strutters, a few that I can hunt. I see we got some new team members. Hopefully we hear from them.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
backwoods13 has been added to your team. I have given you an extra and will add others if they sign up to other teams. Phil can you PM your new members?
Ok will do thank you..

Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jepcho
Well I went out the last two mornings and didn't hear anything either morning. I'm not too concerned yet because I know they are in there. But at the same time it's reassuring to hear something. I did drive around tonight I saw several strutters, a few that I can hunt. I see we got some new team members. Hopefully we hear from them.

I agree it is a little early to put to much stock in not hearing much gobbling, but the main thing is you are see birds where you can hunt, I'll take seeing them in my area over hearing the gobbling any day when I go preseason scouting. But it is nice to know where they are rousting.

I am going to try and go listening in a couple of areas I hunt either this weekend or the weekend after youth season which is April 11 and 12 and my season starts on the 20th so I have plenty of time.

I just have to drive so far to get to where I hunt one place is 140 miles round trip and the other is about 180 miles round trip. So it is to costly for me to take more than a couple preseason trips. But the birds are always at either spot but the closest one they have been doing so logging the past couple of years and I am not sure if they are done. If they are i expect this spot to have alot of birds with the new clear cut sections, some are grown up but other are pretty clean so there should be some nice ambush spots in there.

I used to think logging messed up a spot for hunting deer or turkey but they logged these woods right so far anyway. I seen more deer in there this last season than I have ever seen in there in about 8 year, I hope the turkeys are in there in more numbers this spring.

I have a plan right now on how I am going to hunt this spot, but I would like to ask for some input from you folks. This spots has clear cuts that are grown up and clear cuts that where really clear during deer season and all the clear cuts have good timber around them.

My plan is to go in chase the gobblers and if no luck, setting up on a spot that has grown up clear cut and set up close to the edge of about 40 or so yard from the clear cut in the timber they didn't touch in hopes of them funneling through these areas.

Tell me what you think!

Last edited by bigc870; 04-03-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have sent out the pms and also sent of to blackheel to get some posting done..

I hunt right in the cuttings here after the birds have been hunted as well as sometimes the very first day of it.. I would set up where you have an idea on where they are traveling and close to the opening unless they have been pressured,, Turkeys like the cuttings as well. But as we all know they can be hard to catch in one area or another.. At least here they can be because the travel around a lot.. Good luck guys..
Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

It suppose to be clear and cold in the morning, can't wait to get out there and get in the woods. Still scouting. Next weekend is youth weekend, and then the big kids get to play the next weekend
Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Just got back from four wheeler riding around my house. Stopped on top of this big hardwood holler and just watched the bottom of it and saw what I think was a hen in the bottom of it. Might have to try and listen there one morning
Old 04-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Luck with taking the young ones out!!

I also hope you good luck hearing a few birds.. I have heard that in some areas they have already quited down and on the hens?? I am not sure whether or not they have though.. Here our youth day is the Saturday before our season opens up full swing.. May 2nd is youth day and then May 4th is opening day for all.. It runs the entire month of may for us with a 2 bearded bird maximum and a fall hunt for 1 bird of either sex. That is a 2 bird maximum for the entire year..They both can be shot in the spring season however.. That takes some of the fun out of it during the fall season.. But, it is what it is..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-05-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Heard a few birds this morning, didn't really seem to be gobbling all that well. It was a little windy, so I might have not been able to hear them.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

This afternoon my daughter shot a shotgun for the first time. She shot several times, and was not scared of it. I was really worried that she might be scared, but she did good. Her last shot she had several in the kill zone. I am so proud of her. Just wanted to share
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good for her swambuster !! It is good seeing the young ones out trying there luck! Every young person out there hunting is the future of hunting.. I am glad she is not scared of it and hopefully will be able to blast a cap on one and get a tag filled!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.