Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Spike

Default always listen to advice...

Originally Posted by camokenny
I agree Phil if anyone on our team needs some helpful advice please ask. It sure can't hurt to get another point of view on things. I'm not bragging at all but this spring make my 35th year hunting gobblers and two grand slam that were not paid hunts. I have just a little experience however as most of you know you learn each time you go out.
Hey Camo,
Appreciate your offer...i'm relatively new to tureky hunting and my biggest problem right now is with so much available land here in Colorado.....where do you start looking for birds?
I've checked the state's hunting atlas that shows the migration patterns and i've read the various hunting guides available. I've basically picked out a county that seems to be hot with turkeys and am heading out there to do some scouting soon. My season starts april 12th...
anything you can share around what to look for to narrow down your scouting would help tremendously!

Thanks guys....
dano
Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

First thing I would do is put my eyes and binos to good use. Look the area over from the road and make mental notes of some land marks that might help you later on during a hunt. I am assuming you are hunting heavy timbered country. Anyway look for turkeys from the roads if possible and then go out at daybreak and sunset and listen for turkeys on or going to roost. I assume you will be hunting merriams turkeys? They typically roost in the same area each nite. Use a good locater call such as a crow or coyote howler early and late in the day if you are not hearing birds. You can walk the area looking for scratchings and droppings however I personally don't like to walk a new area right before the season starts so as to not bump the birds. DO NOT use a turkey call while scouting save that for when you are packing a weapon.
Hope this helps you . pm me if you need anymore ideas I will give you my number its easier to talk about it then to type it.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know some may disagree with me.. But, I normally look for a small stream or run off as well. I hunt easterns though and do not know anything about merriams. I find most of my birds around wet areas and normally within 400 yards of the streams or run offs.. Most of the time much less than that. It would also depend on what the weather has been like where you are hunting.. If it has been warm and fairly dry I would most deffinately check areas around these types of places as we.. They should be around them if the food source is some place close..
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

blackheel has been added to your team
Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the team blackheel. It is great to have you. Could you let us know when your season starts..
Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I am here in NC and opening day is April 12th.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for checking in with us!! All right guys we have a full team now! We will soon be showing them all how it is done!! Again blackheel it is good to have you on the team. As we had mentioned above anything comes along where any of us gets stumped on these wise birds chime in.. We will do what we can to suggest some ideas good or bad to try and help each other out.. Good Luck everyone and most importantly stay safe and enjoy your hunting...
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by camokenny
First thing I would do is put my eyes and binos to good use. Look the area over from the road and make mental notes of some land marks that might help you later on during a hunt. I am assuming you are hunting heavy timbered country. Anyway look for turkeys from the roads if possible and then go out at daybreak and sunset and listen for turkeys on or going to roost. I assume you will be hunting merriams turkeys? They typically roost in the same area each nite. Use a good locater call such as a crow or coyote howler early and late in the day if you are not hearing birds. You can walk the area looking for scratchings and droppings however I personally don't like to walk a new area right before the season starts so as to not bump the birds. DO NOT use a turkey call while scouting save that for when you are packing a weapon.
Hope this helps you . pm me if you need anymore ideas I will give you my number its easier to talk about it then to type it.
Great feedback! thanks! Yes, I am going for Merriam's in the foothills of the mountains. Colorado is unique in that we also have Rios on the east and south side of the state in the plains. I may try that as well depending on how it goes.

thanks again and good luck!
Dano
Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I know some may disagree with me.. But, I normally look for a small stream or run off as well. I hunt easterns though and do not know anything about merriams. I find most of my birds around wet areas and normally within 400 yards of the streams or run offs.. Most of the time much less than that. It would also depend on what the weather has been like where you are hunting.. If it has been warm and fairly dry I would most deffinately check areas around these types of places as we.. They should be around them if the food source is some place close..
Thanks Phil!
I've heard that as well. and in fact i've marked up areas with streams nearby. Will definitely let you know.

Thanks,
Dano
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the team blackheel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.