HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
dano111
Spike

Originally Posted by camokenny
First thing I would do is put my eyes and binos to good use. Look the area over from the road and make mental notes of some land marks that might help you later on during a hunt. I am assuming you are hunting heavy timbered country. Anyway look for turkeys from the roads if possible and then go out at daybreak and sunset and listen for turkeys on or going to roost. I assume you will be hunting merriams turkeys? They typically roost in the same area each nite. Use a good locater call such as a crow or coyote howler early and late in the day if you are not hearing birds. You can walk the area looking for scratchings and droppings however I personally don't like to walk a new area right before the season starts so as to not bump the birds. DO NOT use a turkey call while scouting save that for when you are packing a weapon.
Hope this helps you . pm me if you need anymore ideas I will give you my number its easier to talk about it then to type it.
Great feedback! thanks! Yes, I am going for Merriam's in the foothills of the mountains. Colorado is unique in that we also have Rios on the east and south side of the state in the plains. I may try that as well depending on how it goes.

thanks again and good luck!
Dano