HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - an unusual question
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
wingchaser_labs
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: an unusual question

My thoughts here are gonna come from my experience with my two dogs. I have a Femaleabout to turn7 years old now and a male about to turn 2. My female grew up a single dog and is very affectionat, and obediantwith me and very mild tempered with people but is very protective of her territory when it comes to meeting other female dogs. Male dogs don't bother her. A female she will fight...
Now my male grew up with her in the same or neighboring kennel. He is very obedient to me and loves to go everywhere with me and is very mild tempered to other dogs and people. Biggest baby, in a good way, I've ever seen. Great hunter and retriever too. Hes not as effectionat as my female though. Maybe a male thing or the other dog thng I don't know. He would rather work than let ya pet him all the time. My parents say that he seems sad and less energitic when I'm gone to college during the week but when I'm home he goes everywhere with me and loves the attention.He is also very jelous of other dogs when you show them attention...
Now to analyze...
My female I think is the way she is with other dogs possibly because she grew up being the only dog around andknows she ishead b*tch. Her effection and obedience prolly comes from being only with me and no other dogs I could supose...
My male I think is the way he is with other dogs because he grew up with her being boss and getting interaction with other dogs. I exposed him to many dogs and took him everywhere when he was a pup. His temper with people is great to however which just seems to be his nature so who knows. You should see him play woith the puppies in the yard. I think he is more heart broken when they leave than my female. Anyways he still obeys me and mostly me and he grew up next to my female.Doesn't listen real well to anyone else...
I guess my conclusion for now would be that interaction with other dogs is great for making a dog well rounded socialy with other dogs but may have some but not a ton of difference on how well they are attached to you orobey you. In the endfor my purpose of having a hunting companion,(not a field trial champ) and a healthy socialized dog who gets along with other dogs and I they do what I need them to is much more important to me than one who loves me and ony me and is a worry when around other dogs. WCL