HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Other Hunters a big concern
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
tschaef
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Other Hunters a big concern

crackacoldone, I can totally relate, and I hunt private land!
I am under direct orders to kick anyone that I see off the 100acres that I have permission to hunt, yet when we fire up the 4 wheelers my host always wants to make new trails or check out the field "next door" that he has been riding on since he was a kid.
Its really an uncomfortable situation for me, I keep trying to explain to him that he is being a hypocrytebecause the guys huntingthe next farm have permission and that they have the right of way over his 15yr old spoken permission (especially in-season), but he will ride right thru a turkey hunt and talk the hunters, then race to gaurd his borders if he sees camo heading his way.
Its a weird situation, and I feel like a total ass when I tell a hunter to "turn around, your tresspassing", then the next day my host pressures me into going for a ride and we run into the same hunter that I told to leave and tell him that I have permission to ride here but I don't cross the border when hunting. Its a different situation from yours, but I totally understand your fears and how interfering with a serious hunters best laid plans can ruin your day.
However, you're on public land, if you do everything in your power to avoid others and only do so by accident you really have nothing to feel guilty about, its gonna happen to everybody, no matter how carefull you are. If you are honest and make a mistake and the other guy gives you grief then he is the ass, not you.