Community
View Poll Results: Should Rule 7 be changed?
Yes
34.78%
No
65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

For every one to Vote on.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default For every one to Vote on.

7. You must have a picture posted on the contest page within the,
Official Score Card thread to enter a deer.
The Deer must have a tag visible (if tags apply to your state),
No skull pictures, and no rack pictures - the Deer the gun and yourself,
Must be in the picture.
The first Deer Posted to the score thread, their team gets a 50 point bonus.
Since the 2013 - 2014 Contest is so messed up from not many people perceptatating should the Gun, Hunter, and Deer in the picture rule, be changed to, allow just the deer, and the gun in it.

Only people in the contest Vote.

And reply, why you voted yes, or no.

Thank You.

jrbsr

Last edited by jrbsr; 12-03-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I voted yes to change it. It can be difficult, if you hunt alone, to get a picture of yourself with the deer. However I managed to do it by holding the camera way out away from the deer, the picture doesn't come out very nice.
-Jake
Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why change it? It's simple to take a pic of yourself with a camera. Just bring a camera with you.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why change it? It's a good rule. Picture doesn't have to be one at the moment of kill. Only a hermit wouldn't be able to eventually have someone take his picture within the requirements, and, I'd bet even money even he could get it done.

That's one of the problems with law,rule changes in general. Create them to address the few, rather than the majority.

Rule 7 is so basic, if someone can't follow it IMHO, se la vei.

My next issue is, what does this have to do with the lack of participants this year. That's a redd herring, IMHO.

Let's play devils advocate. Why have the deer in the picture? Your providing the score. Why have a gun in the picture? These three rules help keep people honest. Sure the filthiest of the filthy will figure how to outlaw, always have, always will. Fortunately, IMHO, they are a minority.

Last edited by crokit; 12-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the deer and the gun. If you hunt by yourself, getting yourself into the pic can be a little difficult, and what's more, field tags often fall off.

Besides, how many people actually LIE about shooting a doggoned deer? I've shot more deer than...(well, let your imagination run wild here). There is precious little incentive to lie on a hobby board, and I have a LOT more faith in the folks on here than that. If that faith is misplaced, I'd just as soon not know.

The real problem here is scoring. The system is kinda weighted in favor toward those of us who are fortunate enough to hunt on private land and harvest primarily, or exclusively, bucks with more than minimal racks.

That isn't unfair; most of us would rather shoot a big ol' mossy antlered monster than a 60-pound fawn.

But the reality for some of our members is that they get one shot, and one shot only, per season, at a legal deer, and that deer isn't always (or even very often) a deer with a ginormous (or even extant) rack.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Keep the rule! I hunt by myself all the time and its not hard to take a quick selfie pic or wait till you get home. It doesn't have to be the pic you keep as a dang memory just one for the contest. This rule prevents the morons that like to cheat on a free (bragging rights) contest from doing so. Either way though I would still enter the contest as I like to see how real hunters do across the country instead of the TV "hunters". As far as the lack of participants go it was probably cause of the late start to the contest this year. Just a guess though
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Keep the rule! I hunt by myself all the time and its not hard to take a quick selfie pic or wait till you get home. It doesn't have to be the pic you keep as a dang memory just one for the contest. This rule prevents the morons that like to cheat on a free (bragging rights) contest from doing so. Either way though I would still enter the contest as I like to see how real hunters do across the country instead of the TV "hunters". As far as the lack of participants go it was probably cause of the late start to the contest this year. Just a guess though
This is why I'm here. I enjoy the contest, I enjoy seeing everybodys deer, and I enjoy the little bit of competition it adds to the forum. My entries are rarely (never) competitive, just regular old six, seven, eight points. And usually a doe every year. I get competitive here, and enjoy being on a team that competes. But it's all for fun. I don't care about the rule either way really. But I know it can be tough to get that picture. Where I shot my doe this year, I shot it just before dark. And I didn't have it back to the barn until nearly 9PM. I had to be at work at midnight. Luckily, right before skinning her out, I remembered to snap a picture. Which is why I would support the rule change. I snapped several pictures in the woods with the deer and my rifle, but none with myself. Depends on the situation but getting that self shot can be tricky at times. But I really don't care either way. Maybe we should have a vote on it next season before the competition and leave it at that for this year.
-Jake
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grawlix

The real problem here is scoring. The system is kinda weighted in favor toward those of us who are fortunate enough to hunt on private land and harvest primarily, or exclusively, bucks with more than minimal racks.

That isn't unfair; most of us would rather shoot a big ol' mossy antlered monster than a 60-pound fawn.

But the reality for some of our members is that they get one shot, and one shot only, per season, at a legal deer, and that deer isn't always (or even very often) a deer with a ginormous (or even extant) rack.

When you look at the team results over the years, including this year, this observation, with all due respect, doesn't hold water. Most teams through the years only have several scoring buck, regardless of size. It's generally not the size, of the rack, it's the amount of racks that would make a difference. I dare say many of us are passing on younger, smaller bucks, and as we all know, this often leads to no bucks. Look how few contestants even register does.
I still say IMHO, leave it be.

Last edited by crokit; 01-03-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Leave the rule. I concur with those who say it's not that difficult to comply; I take self pictures every year by sticking my camera on a short (~9 inch) flexible tripod. Failing that, use a stump.

There's lots of planning and preparation that goes into a season's worth of hunting and to add a camera in the mix is a very minor problem. I don't think that anyone who truly wants to be in the contest would be deterred by a picture requirement such as this.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didnt do the event this year but will say keep the rule. Its not a dificult rule to follow and looking over the scoring or anything public or private land doesnt seem to matter.