Team 8 Tommyknockers

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default no joy

Hunted hard Wed and Thur, no luck. Public land and the birds are call shy, knuckleheads have been calling to them for the last month thinking they know what they are doing roosting birds but they have been educating them. Got reservations for the bombing range sat(Shaw AFB) and I've had good luck there in the past.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

7 days and counting. My brother has scouted some what on the property we are hunting on and only heard 14. LOL Hopefully we can make something happen. This week is going to drag on and on and on. Keep after them Springspur.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Got my gun and gear shipped here this week. Saturday is gonna be the day. Never hunted here in West Texas, or any state other than Ohio for that matter. Not sure what to expect, so wish me luck.

I have a guy from a pro filming company supposed to be going with me, maybe, but not sure if he will. He has a funeral of a close friend today and tomorrow that was a cop killed in the line of duty in Austin.

I'll chime in with my results.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

And BTW, my neighbor just called us to tell us that a huge tom was strutting in my front yard in Ohio today. I have never seen a turkey within a mile or so of my house, and now that I am over 1200 miles away, they are at my house taunting me. Go figure.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

In 7 days hunting Kansas on the start of a 9 day hunting trip.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jmedenf
And BTW, my neighbor just called us to tell us that a huge tom was strutting in my front yard in Ohio today. I have never seen a turkey within a mile or so of my house, and now that I am over 1200 miles away, they are at my house taunting me. Go figure.
Isn't that just your luck.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowa Jaybird
In 7 days hunting Kansas on the start of a 9 day hunting trip.
Good luck Jaybird whack out a monster. i leave this sunday but looks like strong thunderstorms. All well can't kill em at home.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default First Rio to be Tommyknockered!!!!!

TEAM # Team 8, Tommyknockers
TEAM MEMBER jmedenf
BIRDS SCORE
SPECIES Rio Grande

Weight 19 lbs 12 oz
beard 8.5"
left spur 7/8"
right spur 7/8"

19.75 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 17 = 54.25

Went turkey hunting for the first time this year, in a place I have never been before, hunting a species I have never hunted before, on public land. Walked a trail for about a mile or so, then found a spot to sit in the dark. It was very gusty and windy this morning. Never heard a single gobble. I was just sitting and went through some of my old mouth calls. They sounded horrible so I stuck with the one I had just bought that was actually too small. Pulled out my slate and peg call and messed with it for a little while. It hasn't been touched since last year and needed sanded. All my calls were sounding horrible. I looked around me and saw nothing but mesquite trees. Then I heard a cluck in front of me and looked up to see a head bobbing about 50 yards away and disappeared in the mesquite. Then two gobblers came around to me right and one stuck his head up looking for a hen at about 30 yards. And, BOOM, it was all over. He was Tommyknockered!!!!! My first Rio Grande, first time ever hunting here in West Texas.

FYI: just noticed the date/time is off on the camera.
Attached Thumbnails Team 8 Tommyknockers-sam_1683a.jpg   Team 8 Tommyknockers-sam_1686a.jpg   Team 8 Tommyknockers-sam_1689a.jpg   Team 8 Tommyknockers-sam_1690a.jpg  

Last edited by jmedenf; 04-14-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added FYI info
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default congrats on the rio

nice bird. I've had no luck, things better start happening or it's tag soup for me!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job!! My brother got a jake this morning and I'm getting up to call for my dad in the morning. Wisconsin is weird and has 6 different seasons instead of one large season. My season starts on wednesday and i can't wait to hit the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.