Community

Team 1 check in

Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've been going out most evenings and have drawn blanks on my last several hunts. Paying my dues, lol.

I took Ruby on a tracking job yesterday morning and she got her first find of the season. She tracked a gut shot doe ~450 yds from where the doe was hit the previous evening. We had almost a 1/4" of rain on the trail during the night, so there was no visible sign. The track took her with 10' of a smelly blue-tongue deer carcass that she ignored.

-fsh
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice passing on bucks... where I hunt primarily in CT, MA, & local NY, any buck is a good a buck... When i head out to Western NY next week, that is a strict hunt... need to shoot mature deer... 120 class plus, which is a great deer for the Northeast...
saw small buck last night... no shot... but would have shot him if i could have.. I leave for NY trip 19th and will be hunting 20-24. I have been out here 5 years and have shot 4 mature bucks... a 140 class and 2 130 class deer... i did take one that scored only around 100", but he was an old cull buck..
most of the deer I take locally are little... forks, 6 pts, etc...

I will be heading to KY 2nd week of november.. but it is a rifle hunt... would prefer bow, but going w/ some family and that's what they wanted...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
nice passing on bucks... where I hunt primarily in CT, MA, & local NY, any buck is a good a buck... When i head out to Western NY next week, that is a strict hunt... need to shoot mature deer... 120 class plus, which is a great deer for the Northeast...
saw small buck last night... no shot... but would have shot him if i could have.. I leave for NY trip 19th and will be hunting 20-24. I have been out here 5 years and have shot 4 mature bucks... a 140 class and 2 130 class deer... i did take one that scored only around 100", but he was an old cull buck..
most of the deer I take locally are little... forks, 6 pts, etc...

I will be heading to KY 2nd week of november.. but it is a rifle hunt... would prefer bow, but going w/ some family and that's what they wanted...
Well the grounds I hunt generally does not hold any 130+ deer. Been hunting it for seven years and a few things I learned early on about this property are:
1. Stay on the doe and the big boys will eventually show up.
2. I always catch a glimps of atleast two to three good 130+ deer during the rut who move into my neck of the woods looking for doe.
3. My goals for each year are generally based off what the farmer tells me he has been seeing.

There are no cultivated fields within three miles of this property, this is big woods hunting if you want to call it that. Moving from beds and returning to bedding is my most productive buck hunting.

Acorns hit the ground and that is were you will find me most evenings, sitting among a group of oak trees. My initial thought this year was a 130+ buck but with what I have seen and the info the farmer is giving me that may be unrealistic. I may have to lower that standard but not by much.

Good hunting and be safe folks.

Dave

Last edited by SouthernMDArcherer; 10-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Saw a few deer so far. Went back to indiana over the weekend only saw a small buck and three coyote pups. They havent done much harvesting around home and the deer seem to stay in the corn a lot. Quite a bit will change in the next couple weeks when the corn is gone.

The buck sign has picked up quite a bit in ohio tho. Walked around the woods at my work place and found about 10 scrapes. Planning on getting up early the next couple of days and heading to the woods.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

spoke to guy out in Western NY last night... been seeing some very good bucks... quite a few 120-140 class deer... i'm very excited to get out there next weekend. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed for cool temps and a good front or something to get them moving..
The outfitter in KY has some real studs on cam... that should be an interesting hunt.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

I saw three bucks yesterday evening, all dinks.

Ruby and I went out on two tracks this morning on deer that were shot yesterday afternoon, and recovered both deer. One was a gut shot doe (arrow angled back from the entrance wound), and the other was a liver-hit buck. The buck augered into a marsh and we were glad to recover him - he looks like he could score in the upper 130's. It's nice knowing Ruby's there if I ever get a shot at a deer, lol...

-fsh

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. Seems Ruby is doing what you need her to do. Grats and the recovery of both deer.

Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

One more tracking job for Ruby tonight, she found a doe I shot this afternoon ~600yds from where I hit it. I'll post a proper pic for the team tomorrow.

-fsh

Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

Nice nanny Fsh, I got up this morning to hunt but found a note on my keyboard" hey Dad, practice at 8am, need a ride". that pretty much blew the morning hunt out of the water))).

I am going to try to get out this eveing.

Dave
Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, howcome we dont have a score for our team with browtines buck? just wondering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.