HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 check in
Thread: Team 1 check in
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
SouthernMDArcherer
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
nice passing on bucks... where I hunt primarily in CT, MA, & local NY, any buck is a good a buck... When i head out to Western NY next week, that is a strict hunt... need to shoot mature deer... 120 class plus, which is a great deer for the Northeast...
saw small buck last night... no shot... but would have shot him if i could have.. I leave for NY trip 19th and will be hunting 20-24. I have been out here 5 years and have shot 4 mature bucks... a 140 class and 2 130 class deer... i did take one that scored only around 100", but he was an old cull buck..
most of the deer I take locally are little... forks, 6 pts, etc...

I will be heading to KY 2nd week of november.. but it is a rifle hunt... would prefer bow, but going w/ some family and that's what they wanted...
Well the grounds I hunt generally does not hold any 130+ deer. Been hunting it for seven years and a few things I learned early on about this property are:
1. Stay on the doe and the big boys will eventually show up.
2. I always catch a glimps of atleast two to three good 130+ deer during the rut who move into my neck of the woods looking for doe.
3. My goals for each year are generally based off what the farmer tells me he has been seeing.

There are no cultivated fields within three miles of this property, this is big woods hunting if you want to call it that. Moving from beds and returning to bedding is my most productive buck hunting.

Acorns hit the ground and that is were you will find me most evenings, sitting among a group of oak trees. My initial thought this year was a 130+ buck but with what I have seen and the info the farmer is giving me that may be unrealistic. I may have to lower that standard but not by much.

Good hunting and be safe folks.

Dave

Last edited by SouthernMDArcherer; 10-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.