Community
View Poll Results: Doe harvests accepted?
yes
85.71%
no
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Team Pass Thru - #7

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting ground is a strip of trees around a creek that is right now dry. But the land itself with all the crops is about 1 1/2 miles long by 1/2 a mile wide. Neighboring properties have alot more thick timber but the deer use my land as a travel route from 1 property to the next.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Sheesh you guys got my heaven out there. My land is new to me and right behind the house. i got a 20 acre orchard grass field behind the house that nothing but turkeys come into, there was a big sweet corn field through the little section of woods so that's where most of the deer were all summer out of sight. The land buts up to a state forest so i got an endless amount of woods. Its mostly oak flats with thick briar patches scattered around. I still got a lot of exploring to do. Around here its really hard to pattern the deer before the season everything is woods not many fields or high spots to glass just flat ground full of oak trees and pine trees. Not that great but you gotta make do. Ill see if i can get an aerial shot for you guys just to show you how much timber there is. I love that we have so much activity in the team already. A little background about myself; been hunting since i was 10 i am now 23 the past 2 years i haven't done much hunting at all due to the spring and fall being busy times at work. I work at an Asphalt plant where i operate the plant itself so i can be on the computer all day long. I did find a dead 3 pointer Sunday when i went for a walk right by one of the ponds in the woods. Another friend i work with has found 5 dead deer on his land all around the water including 2 nice 10 pointers. I think we are having a minor blue tounge/EHD outbreak so hopefully i don't find to many more dead ones. I plan on hunting hard now that my spot is right outback i got a few ideas to put me on the bigger bucks. they like to hang in the marshes where no one can see them in the cat tails and phragmites and i have good acces to that where it would be difficult to get to from anywhere else so hopefully it pays off and i can put something on the board for us.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Boy oh boy its raining again! And its a cold, heavy rain. The deer outta be loving it after the dry summer we've had.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

The problem with my area is the deer dont hold a pattern very well. They seem to use different draws day to day to go to and from the crop fields. So every time i go out i stand on top of a big hill looking over several draws and just kinda scratch my head and play the inni minni miney moe game lol. luck of the draw i guess
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

You need to get out there & find the big bucks bedding areas & you'll find those areas by walking the woods & knowing which sign to look for. And if you can't find ol' bruisers bedroom, you might find the does bedding areas a bit easier & come rut you can count on the bucks to visit them there.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Risnerpse checking in.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Bowman, your land sounds like a real treasure. I've hunted several parcels adjoining public lands & if you can provide the public land herds a safe, low pressure bedding area in the tall grasses & maybe a small food source, you'll hold the deer. If that's not an option, I've always liked to use the back door to the public lands & let the public push the deer in my direction. At any rate, ya won't know where the deer hold up until ya get out in the timber & do some heavy scouting. Put in the long hours scouting year round & you'll find the deer.

I've primarily hunted the same 450 acres for the past 4 years with an occasional hunt here or there. We scout 365 though. We know this property as well as the deer do. We've named all the draws & sloughs, the two creeks, the abandoned pasture & even the ridges. We've got topo, sat.,& terrain maps on the wall here at home with pins & labels covering every acre. Hell, when the deer begin to favor one trail or change up their bedding areas, we know & adjust our map pins & treestands accordingly. I've scouted this parcel so often that I know it like I know the floor plan to my home. Now if I could only teach the local heard to pose for me while I arrowed them. Lol
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Risner, welcome to the team & thanks for checking in. Introduce yourself & make yourself at home.

We've been pretty active thus far, so do some reading, catch up & join in.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

on point you are right our shotgun season here in NJ is 6 days long and every yahoo and their grandma is in the woods i know ill be in the right spot that week. I have been sweating my arse off all summer walking around the woods at least 2 times a week after work so i got a semi good idea of whats going on, i think... Im really excited about this season coming up being its the first season ive deer hunted in 2 years my shooting is on point i just need some cooperation from the brown ones
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by On_Point
You need to get out there & find the big bucks bedding areas & you'll find those areas by walking the woods & knowing which sign to look for. And if you can't find ol' bruisers bedroom, you might find the does bedding areas a bit easier & come rut you can count on the bucks to visit them there.
I have 4 seperate bachelor group bedding areas figured out so far this season, problem is when the start moving in the evening they seem to use different draws to get up to the fields. I had the split brow buck pretty well pegged where he would cross a dam every evening but after the rancher let his cattle in that all changed and now i'm back to square 1. The good news is when Mr. split brow went to the other side of the property he ran into my trail cam so i think i can get his new routine figured out again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.