Thread: Scope Size
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
younggun308
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Size

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I use a 3x9x50, it's better than a 3x9x40.
I know some people that are very into optics that would dissagree with you. I see no need for a 50 mm objective lens on a hunting scope unless it is a very cheap one. All you are doing is adding weight and raising your scope higher than it needs to be.

The Elites have good enough optics that you could use a 32 mm objective with normal powers. Unless you wanted to hunt at night.

Paul
If you see no reason to put a 50mm lens on, that's not that great.

Lots of deer are shot in the fading minutes of legal shooting hours, or right after the sun comes up when it's still dark,and the 50mm lets in more light, which ends up lightening the area through the scope better than you can see with your eyes, whichis VERY helpful.

As for weight, that's not an issue, you're going to try to shoot with a rest, otherwise, your chances of making a shot, even with a 40mm, is very small.

All in all, the 50mm helps, and it really pays off, I use a Shooter's Edge 3x9x50mm scope, and it only costed $100.00! I use it on my .308, and it works great. It's a very good scope for it's price. It's actually manufactured by Bushnell, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.