HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011-2012-bowhunting-contest-127/)
-   -   Team 4 Red Mist (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011-2012-bowhunting-contest/348942-team-4-red-mist.html)

halfbakedi420 10-06-2011 09:53 AM

im guessin they recovered the arrow? and their was no sign on it?
nice video, may i suggest in the future you dont point out the flaws of the video?
why did all 3 of those does get out alive?
i woulda taken the 3rd doe fer sure, she was ripe in age, and i thought ya said yall were doin some doe mngmnt?

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-06-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3857467)
im guessin they recovered the arrow? and their was no sign on it?
nice video, may i suggest in the future you dont point out the flaws of the video?
why did all 3 of those does get out alive?
i woulda taken the 3rd doe fer sure, she was ripe in age, and i thought ya said yall were doin some doe mngmnt?

Yeah, we got out of our stands and walked over to where they were at. The arrow had gone right over his back; clean miss.

As for the three does, we had contemplated taking the last one that came through (last one shown in video) but she was moving through really fast. The other does however got the early season pass because of the fawn. Two of them were mature does and we couldn't distinguish which one was the mother... If they come in with a fawn that has any distinguishable spots, the mother is given a pass.

As for the doe management, I have 3 other new hunters coming in to do that early season (gives them an opportunity to harvest their first deer; and saves me a tag for later in the season), if none of them score, we settle the doe ratio with the muzzleloader come the early season next week.

As for the flaws in the video, it was shoddy editing and nowhere near how our actual hunting experiences pan out, but we thought we would throw it up for comparison with our next video we have coming soon.

AR Bowhunter 10-06-2011 03:37 PM

Well guys, the lows felt good Saturday an Sunday morning but it sure did warm up in the evenings. I saw an 8 point about 15" wide the first morning an a forkhorn an 3 does. The buck was short on tine length.

luckyshot 10-06-2011 06:01 PM

Hey PJarrows, I've Goose hunted up to Kirwin back in 2001 and 2002. You gotta try the Triple C diner. Their burgers are as big as frisbees! Good luck to you, and stay safe.

pjarrows 10-07-2011 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by luckyshot (Post 3857693)
Hey PJarrows, I've Goose hunted up to Kirwin back in 2001 and 2002. You gotta try the Triple C diner. Their burgers are as big as frisbees! Good luck to you, and stay safe.

thanks for the info I will look that place up.

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-11-2011 08:46 AM

Bump... :)

Just a little update; went out this weekend, it was unusually hot again in Iowa. Mid to high 80's all weekend with a mean 15-30 mph wind out of the SSE. Saw a few does saturday and sunday really early and really late.

Yesterday we had a storm front move in and it dropped a little bit of rain, and cooled off into the 60's. Had a nice 10 pt with change hanging out at about 50 yards, probably would score in the 150's... I wasn't comfortable taking that far of a shot with the new broad heads I am using this year. I think I might have passed him up any way even if he gave a better shot; we have a monster roaming the woods that should score high 160's possibly 170's that I would love to give a dirt nap to.

How is everyone else faring early season?

BUCKMARK 10-11-2011 11:29 AM

We did also go out on this last Saturday, mainly for the youth gun hunt, the temps where in the low 80's and deer movrment was almost nil. The ggod news is they started to cut some of the corn around us and the temps are going to be more normal this weekend. Time will tell if we head out or not...

razor6570 10-14-2011 04:09 PM

Looking forward to heading out tomorrow morning. It has been very slow this past week, full moon with wind and rain. Leaves are coming down hard though!
Good luck to everyone, it will only get better from here!
Early season muzzleloader starts tomorrow, it may get the deer up and moving. Can only hope, usually it only makes the hunting tougher!

halfbakedi420 10-14-2011 07:04 PM

grrrrr..hate bein a weekender, but the temps will be right in the mornin...did a lil scouting, not looking good...with our record breaker heat and no rain records, looks like its been even harder for the deer...bunch of thin, mismatched, crab claw havin racks...see what tomorrow holds.

razor6570 10-15-2011 01:45 PM

Well this morning was a bust. No deer, just high winds! Did get some time to do some scouting though.
Found good deer sign. I am going to make it out tonight, mowed gress and had to work in the barn today. Doesn't really bother me though, wind is still hallowing!

halfbakedi420 10-16-2011 10:57 AM

welll...scratch my last post...saw a bunch this mornin...i counted 9 before he ran off with the whole herd....what is it about snapping tree limbs that makes ya automatically turn around? grrrrrrr...i need to work on that...gonna wait for thursday, posed ta be 46...thats -2 for you northerners...anyway, cant wait ta count the rest of em tines.

anyone else been out?

AR Bowhunter 10-16-2011 04:08 PM

Well spent the weekend at the farm. Saw two buck it is just too hot. The highs were in the md 80's. Lows were in the upper 40's. The buck I saw Saturday evening took a picture of about 60 yds away in the woods. We have a cool front coming in Tuesday night. Taking vac. time. Wed thru Sun.

pjarrows 10-19-2011 03:54 AM

well I did a little QDM on Monday evening, let the air out of a nice doe, no bucks yet not sure if I am going to make it out before going out of state.

razor6570 10-20-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by pjarrows (Post 3863276)
well I did a little QDM on Monday evening, let the air out of a nice doe, no bucks yet not sure if I am going to make it out before going out of state.

Congrats on the Doe, pj! I would like to get a doe very soon but they are cooperating very well with me. The bucks are not moving that much yet, but it is only a matter of time!

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-20-2011 06:54 PM

Quick update out of Iowa...

The weather that I have prayed for all year is here!!! We are looking at the 2nd frost of the year tonight, supposed to get down to 31. My buddy tagged out for the season, shot a 148 and a 158 respectively; theres a thread in the main bowhunting formu with pics... Time for a stud to step in front of me!

razor6570 10-21-2011 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR (Post 3864248)
Quick update out of Iowa...

The weather that I have prayed for all year is here!!! We are looking at the 2nd frost of the year tonight, supposed to get down to 31. My buddy tagged out for the season, shot a 148 and a 158 respectively; theres a thread in the main bowhunting formu with pics... Time for a stud to step in front of me!

Good luck IOWA, I am heading myself. Weather has changed here to. Hope it will have the deer up on their feet.

halfbakedi420 10-21-2011 06:54 AM

nj on the doe...gl to you guys..im headed out my self sunday ight myself..saw a nice north texas buck i got my eyes on. wish i knew where he came from the other day..i aint pickin up a gun til i deflate this dude.

jemrami9 10-22-2011 11:36 AM

Greetings friends... Just checking in up here in Wi. Made it out for the first time last night. Deployments have kept me busy this fall but alas I have free time. I have all my leave dates staged for the end of october and 2 weeks in November so I am stoked to say the least. Back to last night. First time out for the season. Had some does and one smaller 8 pointer that I watched for a few mins. Not too bad. Things will be picking up, cant wait to be a part of it!

halfbakedi420 10-22-2011 11:49 AM

Capn capn
we still missin sum1?
If so need alternate?

IOWABUCKHUNTR 10-22-2011 12:18 PM

If you are talking about Luckyshot, he checked in already back on page 6 or so... I just think his name was overlooked for the bold... Unless I missed someone else?

halfbakedi420 10-22-2011 12:39 PM

right on..i check in with you by lookin at the op..so i just assumed.

pjarrows 10-24-2011 02:46 AM

well I am leaving tomorrow after work and won't be back on line untill Nov 14, Good luck all and I will talk to you later.

razor6570 10-24-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by pjarrows (Post 3865542)
well I am leaving tomorrow after work and won't be back on line untill Nov 14, Good luck all and I will talk to you later.

Good luck, pj

halfbakedi420 10-24-2011 08:26 AM

nok em ded pj

hella weekend at werk....headed out tonight....stayin til friday and will return trip to grab the kids and go back out for youth season...8 year old is 1st chair as she proved herself at the range yesterday...she is stoked..usually she just gets to watch her big sis do all the leveling....i know who will be waking me up sat morning at 5am lol..
im on the trail of billy addbass and aint comin home til he's in the bag.
i wish you guys luck..i might get phone signal out there so maybe i'll be able to check in through the week. smell ya

razor6570 10-24-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3865659)
nok em ded pj

hella weekend at werk....headed out tonight....stayin til friday and will return trip to grab the kids and go back out for youth season...8 year old is 1st chair as she proved herself at the range yesterday...she is stoked..usually she just gets to watch her big sis do all the leveling....i know who will be waking me up sat morning at 5am lol..
im on the trail of billy addbass and aint comin home til he's in the bag.
i wish you guys luck..i might get phone signal out there so maybe i'll be able to check in through the week. smell ya

Good luck halfbaked! Check in if you can, things will start getting interesting this week, at least I hope!

jemrami9 10-26-2011 05:10 PM

Good luck everyone....

BUCKMARK 10-28-2011 11:40 AM

Sounds like everyone is starting to get out more, We will be hunting this weekend also. Talked to the farmer and the corn is out and things should be very good this weekend...

jemrami9 10-30-2011 06:43 AM

Sorry guys, blew my shot friday night at a decent 8 pointer. Is there something special I need to know about when shooting downhill? Shot right underneath him, crap! Off monday and tuesday. Rut signs were minimal where I was at. Just a few scrapes and a rub here and there. Does are out feeding in the field normal without any harrassment from the bucks yet... All in due time. Taking leave 6-12 November. I will be ready, cant wait!

halfbakedi420 10-30-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jemrami9 (Post 3868417)
Is there something special I need to know about when shooting downhill? Shot right underneath him, crap! Off monday and tuesday. !

rough..it happens..need an arc range finder...also..most important, ya need to draw yer bow like you are shooting flat ground..take aim at the sky if you will, cause you are uphill looking straight, i aint sure what yer seeing, but you ar not "aiming" at the deer yet...after you "take aim at the sky" you bend at the hips to aim down to the deer, do not use your arms or shoulders..gl...learning curve.

halfbakedi420 10-30-2011 01:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
had a good productive week out in the woods..didnt land my buddy the 9 point...he dont want anything to do with me lol...we played cat and mouse all week...it was like a scene right outta top gun...where'dddddddddddddddddd whoooooooooooo goooooooooooooooo? even with a dried out creek bed, i couldnt get in front of him...as he's got hoes....they are way smarter than he is, if it wasntfer them..his arse would be hanging on my wall...i thought about gettin the doe, but i wanted him, and gettin a doe woulda scared him off...so like homer simpson said...DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEE!!!!

Went back and got the kids friday after skool...1st time for my 8y/o...who put 3 in the bull from a 223 last weekend to prove she had the skills required...
Attachment 19415

and my 13 y/o who wasnt all that thrilled about being in 2nd chair behind her lil sister .. lol
Attachment 19416

all in all was a good time, 8 y/o couldnt get everything to work out to take a shot, but at least she saw plenty of deer. she isnt discouraged, its her very 1st time, and she knows her sis took 3 years to get her 1st...
she is ready for next time..
sunday mornin was a different story...my 13 y/o had the go ahead on my buddy the 9 point, he was 80-40 yards from us the whole time...i think she got buck fever, cause he was posing, i mean beggin for her to kill him...like he was posing for playboy or something. i could only stop him 9 effin times lol...i do commend her though, at any time she coulda took a crappy shot, but chose to wait for the right moment...congrats to her...she did put a heart shot on this lil momma here...i know she is 13, and the deer looks little, but thats because it is lol...average size doe for these parts..btw my daughter is 5'10" and 170 lbs...she did a good job
Attachment 19417

her lil sis didnt mind either, she felt like she won after all

Attachment 19418

fyi, hrordcae hnrtues..no bolod in da sctanh

jemrami9 10-30-2011 02:13 PM

Ya, bend at the waist.... I know better lol. Yeah one of those deals, everything is going so fast. Watched a 10 yd shot turn into a 30 yd shot. Deer stopped at 30.2 yds as advertised. Didnt quite do my part lol. Better luck next time right??

BUCKMARK 10-31-2011 12:22 PM

We hunted Saturday afternoon, kicked up a nice 8 walking into my stand, Was kinda bummed that some of the corn was still up. But we had a ton of pics on 1 of the cams showing deer moving at all times of the day. So things might be starting to pick up...

IOWABUCKHUNTR 11-01-2011 02:04 PM

Got out last weekend with the wife, she had a 2.5 year old 8 pt come in that she had in her mind to shoot. Grunted at him and got him in to about 20 yards. Unfortunately he cut the trail that a yote had ran in on about 20 minutes before he showed up and got a little nervous. He stopped right in the middle of the zipperline of the blind and she wasnt able to get a shot.

Aside from that, we are both looking forward to the 11-15th, got all the vacation time set in stone, and it looks like the early rut is already kicking off. Saw a 140 class on the side of the road Sunday morning, and a doe bedded with three bucks milling around her in the middle of one of the fields when driving home, needless to say the big ones will be starting to get stupid!

Ill keep ya'll updated, but here in a week or so there will be points on the board, whether it be a big one or just a cull buck, cause the 15th will probably be my last day to hunt. Hope for the big one! :)

halfbakedi420 11-03-2011 11:39 AM

must be nice to have a 140 to go after..the 9 i have my sights on will be lucky to get 110(maybe a lil modest..hopefully) lol. gl with him...leaving in an hour to head back out, get a night hunt in and come home tuesday...unless i get lucky.

yall get in the woods, time to get er done..if yer pickin up a rifle before ya land a bow kill buck for the team..i dont wanna know :rock:

AR Bowhunter 11-04-2011 02:28 AM

Big doe an two hogs on the ground so far. I will be off this coming week an they are moving here. Good luck guys.

IOWABUCKHUNTR 11-04-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter (Post 3870850)
Big doe an two hogs on the ground so far. I will be off this coming week an they are moving here. Good luck guys.

Least you are piling them up! Got lots of hogs in your area? I am looking to take a trip here next year with the wife, and am trying to find some reasonably priced hog hunts... :wink:

razor6570 11-07-2011 10:06 AM

Well, I have been hunting hard the last wto weeks. I have seen alot of deer but no shooters! The biggest buck I have seen is an 8 point about 14" wide. I am holding out, but our season comes to an end on Saturday!!

Hope you other guys are having better luck than I am!!

jemrami9 11-07-2011 07:19 PM

Greetings friends! Cashed in tonight after the gaffe on Friday. 9 pointer with a broken brow tine, pushing 17" inside spread. Just got home..... Pix in the morning, woohoo! Not sure if we are on the board yet but we are now for sure!

jemrami9 11-08-2011 07:32 AM

Here he is....

halfbakedi420 11-08-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by jemrami9 (Post 3872690)
here he is....

ohhh snap..nice effin job...need a capn round here to report this.

on a side note...i have been seein bloody pics of people and their catch...lets get em cleaned up guys, tuck the tongue back in their mouth, hide the wounds if ya can...jem did a good job....even with the tongue hangin out, with a smile like that, im sure it was the last thing he woulda ever thought about, but take it into consideration, this guy gave his life so you can eat..at least let the pic of the last day of his life honor him if you will.