Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 12 - SPURminators 2011 CHAMPS >

Team 12 - SPURminators 2011 CHAMPS

Community

Team 12 - SPURminators 2011 CHAMPS

Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i didnt score this morning, worked that bird on roost a little but was staying pretty quiet since i was pretty sure he had hens with him. I had my blind set up on a bench where they almost always work across naturally so i figured id let the hens bring him over past the blind. Well two guys came in just across the property line shortly after the tom flew off roost and they started calling aggressively and just like i thought would happen if i called, the hens took the tom straight away from both of us.

I will be back out in the morning on some game lands where i know there are a lot of birds so hopefully I will get another one. good luck anyone else who is hunting
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slow morning today. Didn't hear a peep. Packed it up about 9:00 and back to work.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got on a big group of birds early this morning. Got to the spot I wanted to listen from, heard one gobble in the distance but couldnt tell exactly where it was, then a tom started gobbling closer. I started slowly toward him and next time I stopped multiple birds gobbled where he was. I kept moving closer and an owl must of been perched right near them. Every time he hooted the birds went nuts. there was at least 6 birds gobbling in the group. I got to about 150 yards and got my decoy out and was slowly walking toward them looking for a spot i wanted to set up. Owl hooted again and a lot of birds gobbled, sounded like 8 or so.

I was pumped as they sounded hot and were all close together. I kept looking up to make sure I couldnt see them as I took a few more steps and found the tree I wanted to set up at. Started walking toward them to put my decoy out and heard a wing, looked up and there were more birds only about 20 yards away. I was busted, and those birds flew right toward the birds gobbling and shut them up. Saw around 10 birds fly and all looked like toms or jakes. Never heard another peep from those birds, but I blew a good chance right off the bat. I wasnt very happy with myself

Took a long walk around the game lands listening but never could hear another gobble. Ended up going to a big private piece of land with my two fiends and called them in a bird. they both shot at it at about the same time. Nice 2 year old bird. We ended up seeing another bird strutting off of a logging road. I knew another trail that skirted around it so we got around and got set up, but never got him to gobble and dont know where he ended up going. Will be back at it in the morning trying to get my second bird.

Heres a quick pic i took of my buddy's bird, prob a 10 inch beard and 20 pound bird.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, it's killing me. I want to get back out and turkey hunt so bad. I have one more Texas tag left. I'm thinking about going to the LBJ Grasslands next weekend, even though reports are very bad this year. I'll probably end up changing my mind and go fishing. Who all is hunting this weekend? How much longer do you northern guys have to hunt? Lets hear some reports.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

got out the last two days again. yesterday i didnt have a vehicle so i had to wait for my dad to drop me off at game lands on his way to work. i got there around 6:15 and heard birds gobbling within 5 minutes of being in the woods. ended up calling in at least 6 toms but couldnt get a shot off as a hen came in ahead of them and kept circling me while they stayed back at 60 yards. wanted to leave them alone so went to find other birds, ended up hearing some gobbling below me and got set up. called in 4 toms with 3 hens and at 8:45 ended up shooting one of them at 45 yards which improved my score. So yesterday I called in 10 longbeards and killed one of them.

Was back at it today with two of my friends at the same spot. Called in 4 more longbeards but no shots were fired, had something go wrong in each setup.

But as of yesterday im tagged out here in PA and most likely done hunting. Might go out and try to call my dad in a bird tomorrow morning but i leave for my job tomorrow afternoon. Ended up having a great week of hunting here in PA, killing 2 mature birds getting one for my buddy, and calling in many more. Ill get pics and the score posted up later, but it did have the longest spurs of any bird ive ever shot, just wish the weight and beard length matched that!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pics and measurements from yesterdays bird:

18 lbs 10 oz, 10 inch beard, 1 4/8 right spur, 1 3/8 left spur, which should give me a score of 67.375, improving from my first bird.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job. That's a beautiful bird. I will submit the score and replace your previous high score. Congrats on a great season.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our score for best bird per hunter is now 369.385. We have killed 10 birds for a total of 578.1375. Who all is still hunting?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still hunting. Birds were quiet today, I checked out 2 different properties didn't hear or see anything. I had a pretty good idea where they roosted last night too (I get intel from the landowner since its so far away.) I think my season runs thru may 25 or so, I have to check the exact date.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Well gang it has been a blast our season in Kentucky comes to a close tommorw. Hunted most of the day but flood waters have kept us from our hony holes and most of our back up locations are under water. Tommorw being mothers day I feel that my son needs to be with his mother so today was the end of the road for us till spring. Good Hunting to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.