Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Birds are killing me. Sat up real close to the roost and they decided to fly to the other side of the creek which is heavily flowing since our last storm. Had some strutting to every call but they wouldn't fly over. Then they all took off running for an unseen reason. Few minutes later I seen a guy and his dog walking around on the neighboring property. Never did catch back up to them.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Well the Bro-in law was nice enough to give me first crack at our honey hole! made the drive this morn to take a peek and talk to the land owner. Here's a couple pics i took while out there.

And yes, these were takin today and the season opens tomorrow!!! Land owner claims he has over 50 birds that frequent the prop but wind and rain yesterday and 40 mph wind and snow today is keepin them hidden, but the opener is supposed to be light wind, partly sunny and in the low 40s. So i would think they would have to be all over tomorrow. Signman53 and myself will be leaving here at about 3:30 am to get up there befor daylight, hopefully by this time tomorrow we will be puttin a bird up for ya guys, wish us luck, we are definately gonna need it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'm back and again with no dang turkey. The weather put a hurtin on the hunting. We started off with 40 mph winds with gusts up to 80. I think all the birds were blown south to TX...

I did have one this morning come to about 60 yards but would not come in. He just gobbled and headed to the green fields and then off thru them. Hopefully I can get one or two chances closer to home before the season ends..
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Ok I'ts 3 am, 32 degrees, no rain, no snow, and no wind! Got an 1 hr and a half drive and a half hour walk, HERE WE GO!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just checking in. Although my season doesn't open until Wednesday, I went out with a buddy this weekend. Seen birds, but tough hunting conditions. Between strong winds, rain, snow, and temps in the 30's....the birds were hiding out. Heard a few gobbles, but nothing like a warm spring day.

I will be back out later this week or next weekend, going to watch the weather. Good luck everyone.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Well my seasons over. Will give details and pics tomorrow, got to get to bed.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Iowa Jaybird
Later guys. Good luck to everyone going hunting. There's a couple of Gobblers waiting to die in Kansas, and hope to help out the team. Will be back late Monday. Jay
Sorry guys. Didn't go down. Had one huge Gobbler come into our set up, but in high wind, deke started spinning, and he left running spooked. Tried to hit him on the run, at 50, and put the spread over his head. By not staking the foam deke down, like I know to do, I maybe cost me my biggest Tom ever. Rookie mistake, and I'm not happy about it. Will be after them again on vacation starting Sunday for 9 days. Have 4 tags to try to fill in 9 days between Kansas and Iowa. That's going to be a challenge.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well my seasons over. Will give details and pics tomorrow, got to get to bed.
Does that mean you got one? If so, let's see the pics.

My season opens tomorrow, but the storms moving through aren't going to play well for me. Might sit out tomorrow, then give it a shot Thursday.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowa Jaybird
Sorry guys. Didn't go down. Had one huge Gobbler come into our set up, but in high wind, deke started spinning, and he left running spooked. Tried to hit him on the run, at 50, and put the spread over his head. By not staking the foam deke down, like I know to do, I maybe cost me my biggest Tom ever. Rookie mistake, and I'm not happy about it. Will be after them again on vacation starting Sunday for 9 days. Have 4 tags to try to fill in 9 days between Kansas and Iowa. That's going to be a challenge.

Well Jay, at least ya seen him, that had to be a thrill!! 4 tags in 9 days!!!! Sounds like it would be a fun problem to have!!! Good luck to ya!!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Well, temptation got the best of me!! Sorry this is'nt more impressive but the way the rest of yesterday and today went combined with the crappy weather forcast we have coming, i now think it's a good thing i took what i did when i had the chance!!

We went in to this spot blind yesterday morn, as daylight started to break we had a ton of gobbling on the roost just a 100 yrds or so in the woods behind us. They hit the ground and went quiet for a bit then a couple started back in. My uncle started calling and a hen that was with them started calling back, within a couple minutes we could tell she was close in behind us. Spotted a string of birds coming around and out to the right of us a bit and could see it was about 5 jakes and 6 or 7 hens. They hit the feild and swung around and crossed about 20 yrds in front of us and 3 of the jakes went right to the dekes on our left side. We planned on just letting them walk but as they left the dekes and walked away right out in front of us i noticed the one had a double beard. I've never got one with a double beard, really didn't want to wind up having to hunt till the last minute of the last day like last yr, and with scouting going as poorly as it has this yr was really doubting i'd get another chance like this. So i peeled him. After i took him i was kinda regreting it, but after hitting a couple other spots this morn trying to get my uncle one, the outlook is pretty grim, not much happening anywhere!! With 6 inches of snow on the way, my descision is looking better by the minute!!

17lbs 3 oz
3 1/4 and 3 1/8 beards
1/4 in spurs (nubs)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.