Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by j76
Thats really cool Jay! I can't wait till my boys are old enough to get them out after some birds!! My oldest is four, hopin by next yr to start takin him along, he's not quite ready as far as patiance goes yet but he's starting to get better. Here in Mich we are only allowed 1 bird. Which sucks in a way but numbers in my area are way down and the last few years it's been really tough to just get the one! There's myself, my uncle (teammate signman53) and my Dad, I've got to try and find birds for. My uncle and I have been able to pull it off just about every year for the past 6 or 7 yrs, but my Dad has yet to shoot a turkey!! Really gonna try hard to put him on one this yr.
It really helps a lot to have good land to get the kids out in. My grandson's grandma has plenty of land, full of Turkey, but she only allows it to be Bow hunted, which is fine for Gavin and his dad. He'll get his shot (s). Gavin has been a great Turkey hunting buddy for me. I'd put up a blind, and he'd sit in there all morning asking a hundred questions. He'd just beem, when I'd draw birds in, usually Jakes and Hens. Here's him bundled up at 5 on a very cold Nebraska morning listening to me call.

This pic is him barely 3 waiting for his dad to set up a blind for a next day Merriam hunt. Next day his dad took down one fine Merriam with his bow.

Some young kids don't have the patience to sit hours, but he's always been good at it.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I.J. , where at in Nebraska is he hunting? Wish him luck and we need to see some success pics from him. My sons 3 and he wants to go but while he's acting it out at the house he keeps yelling " Come here deer, Come here turkeys" so thats something we have to work on 1st
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Cool pics jAY!! Thanks for sharin! I love to see others gettin the kids out. For me, thats the main thing that keeps me goin! Thats why I still try to learn as much as i can and find new and better places to go, cause in the very near future, its gonna be all about them! I've tried to start mine with the easy stuff, like squirrel huntin, took him out last year a couple times, he really enjoyed it!

his second trip out last winter he acually spotted the squirrel befor me and we ended up gettin it, was awsome!! he was so proud!! And he has always been very fired up to see the turkeys that ive brought home

And last fall i took him out for the early doe hunt we have here. Got a hayfeild with a big blind on the edge thats always loaded with deer in the early fall, and as we walked out they were in the feild already. So we got in the blind, opened the window and pulled the trigger. Just a doe but he thought that was the coolest thing in the world!! Course i think he was more fired up about getting to ride the farmers john deere gator out to get it than the deer it self, but thats ok!! He helped me drag it and gut it then once we got it home helped with the skinnin and quartering. None of these hunts were anything to brag about but because they were with him, they are my best huntin memories, and hell yeah i like to brag about em!!! So when you show me pics of a little guy goin turkey huntin....that flat fires me up more than anything!!! Hope he knocks one down, and i know if he does yer gonna tell us all about it!!! Wish him the best of luck for me Jay!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mottz
I.J. , where at in Nebraska is he hunting? Wish him luck and we need to see some success pics from him. My sons 3 and he wants to go but while he's acting it out at the house he keeps yelling " Come here deer, Come here turkeys" so thats something we have to work on 1st
Gavin and his dad will be hunting grandmas in the Ft. Calhoun area. Each kid is different as far as taking them out. Some sitting 5 minutes is like punishment. Some keeping quiet is also impossible. I love blinds for taking kids out. I seldom use normally, but for kids it rocks. They can fidget more, use binocs to look out the windows for Turkeys, and if they get tired they can kick back in my Gobbler Lounge chair and take a nap.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

This year I Fall Turkey hunted, which I really don't like to do. It's just not the same as the Spring. However, I've been working with 2 of my daughters step sons on hunting, and they had finished up their gun safety so I decided to take the oldest out, being my Spring schedule is impossible to be taking anyone hunting. I basically live in my SUV, while I'm on the road for 10 days straight. Then I'm on 2 dayers thru May out of state. We didn't get a shot, but it was fun spending one on one time with the young man. I'll tell you this kid is a Hoss. He's just turned 14, weighs 265#s, and was the captain on the Freshman football team. The kid carried everything easily, and I had a load on a back pack. All I carried was my gun.
Here's him in the ground blind we made to sit together. I had seen birds in this area, but I think they were using the woods behind us to move thru vs the field.

If we would have been Deer hunting, it would have been a done deal on Does. They were constantly moving by us, sometimes within 20 yards. Here's 2 Deer going by us at about 40 yards.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, thanks for letting me back on. I will be hunting MO and maybe NE.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Good to have ya DTC. When do ya start huntin??
Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Well looks like my glimpse of spring is about to disappear! Callin for 6-10 in of snow tomorrow. Guess i'll have to wait another week or so to knock the dust of the trail cams.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by j76
Well looks like my glimpse of spring is about to disappear! Callin for 6-10 in of snow tomorrow. Guess i'll have to wait another week or so to knock the dust of the trail cams.
Get them out there j. They do no good in the closet. Besides, tomorrow is Tues so thats plenty of time for it to melt before the weekend. I'll be getting some of mine out next weekend when I head to my normal hunting spot. Try for some turks 1st, then spread some mineral for deer and set up some cams. Thats the plan now anyways.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mottz
Get them out there j. They do no good in the closet. Besides, tomorrow is Tues so thats plenty of time for it to melt before the weekend. I'll be getting some of mine out next weekend when I head to my normal hunting spot. Try for some turks 1st, then spread some mineral for deer and set up some cams. Thats the plan now anyways.

May still try to set em up this weekend, I don't know. Now they have changed the forcast, down to just of few in. of snow expected, but the temps have really dropped. Not supposed to get above 30 right up thru Sunday! Just Killin me!!! I know if I put the cams out i'm just wastin batteries, but gotta do somethin! I've learned that around here , for some reason if the birds are in a spot now, they ain't gonna be there come mid April. Last yr it seemed like I didn't see birds at any of my spots till a week or 2 befor the opener. Bird numbers are way down around here, but maybe this will be the year they start to come back up. Sure hopin I don't have to hunt em as hard as i had to last yr!! Signman 53 got a dandy opening morning, but then it took me the rest of the season to get mine!! Last hunt of the last day, and it wasn't a bird ya go braggin about either!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.