Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 24--Main Beam Bandits

Old 11-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Kelly,

You get to take four H measurements. Even if it's a spike.

I'm not a 'scorer' but the way I understand it... on your buck, you would measure your H4 halfway between the tip of the antler and where you measured your H3 circumference.

I hope that makes sense.

Congrats!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Christine. I just found it online and you are right on the money.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Right ----- Left

MB 19 2/8 ----- 18 2/8
G1 4 5/8 ----- 6 6/8
G2 7 3/8 ----- 8 2/8

H1 4 2/8 ----- 4 2/8
H2 3 5/8 ----- 3 6/8
H3 3 ----- 2 7/8
H4 3 ----- 2 7/8

Inside Spread ----14 2/8

Total Gross Score 106 3/8

Dressed 160lbs
Old 11-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

106 for a six point is very respectable, congrats again. Anyone else been getting out? I have been out a few times with very little luck as of late. Hunting some spots that have been productive in the past, but have been seeing little to nothing. Friends have been seeing all kinds of bucks, hunting not far from me, so I guess it is just not being in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure how many more trips i'll be able to make, so I may just shoot the next thing I get a chnce out. It may only get us 40 points, but I'll have meet in the freezer, and it may make me feel a little better. Good luck out there.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Spike

Well just got back from 11 days straight. Pretty slow, not alotta chasing, warm weather, rainy weather....I guess all in all not too bad of trip. Passed a 140" ten a few days back, just too young (I believe him to be a 2 1/2). Did make a great shot on a 145" 9 in the pouring rain saturday afternoon at 2pm. Shot was right behind the shoulder about 10" down from the spine. He went about 45 yards downhill, stopped and dropped about half of a soda can of blood and kept moving downhill again. Problem is he crossed our fence into some land that we cant even go look for a deer. We looked a total of nine hours for him "slightly" crossing the fence a few times, but no luck. Dont know what I could have done differently, makes me feel horrible because I know he is dead ! Anyways three days earlier, my brother shot a 165 5/8, Congrats to him!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

That stinks that you could not follow the track. Here in MD if you don't make every effort to recover your game, including trespassing, then you are in violation of the wanton waste law, and of course if you go after it without permission you are violating the trespassing law. Most people around here don't follow the deer because the fine is less and usually harder, or impossible, to prove who shot the deer, compared to being caught trespassing. Never heard of anyone getting busted for it, seems like a dumb rule that you have to break one law to keep from breaking another. Hope you have time to get back out this year. Congrats to your bro.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Anybody getting out and having any luck?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I almost had one last week. Long story short. I drew back on a decent, but not huge, buck that was walking right into a shooting lane, and he stoped with just his head sticking out. He took another couple of steps and I took the shot, but it went right over his back. He was only 16 yards. I didn't think about at the time, but in the past I tend to let the string creep forward when I have too hold longer then normal. I most likley crept forward and threw off my anchor point. I didn't seam like I was shaking, but I knew I was getting clase to needing to let down. Interestingly a nicer buck showed up a couple minutes later, but didn't offer a shot. It is fireamrs season here now, so unless I get lucky in the late season, I won't be adding any points for the team.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

I had already posted about my kill but this is a recap of our season

Well the archery season was tough but I managed to connect on a decent 8 point(my best to date).

Last Monday while I had my nephew out for the mentored hunt I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen but he was not able to get a shot, Shortly after we saw another one that got past us and his dad killed it when it go to the field back behind us.

It is a decent 8

So I took the nephew out again this Saturday and it was cold but he sucked it up and we only saw 2 deer all morning. The afternoon he went out with his dad and I ended up connecting on a nice fat doe right before dark.

So today the snow is flying and my nephew gets off the bus at 4 gets to the house changes clothes and head to the spot with his dad that I told them to go to. Well wouldn't you know it he sealed the deal and showed us both up with a beauty of a 12 point.

I think the smile says it all

The deer on trail cam

Congrats to my 10 year old nephew on a great season and one heck of a buck. I just wish I would have been with you rather than at work.

I will however be mounting him for him so that will be a special one for me to do.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats to your nephew. I'm sure he will remeber it for a lifetime.

Do you do your own taxidermy work? I wish I had the patience to do it myself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.