2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 11 Natural Bone Killers!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntingEd
Hey guys, good luck this weekend! Keep us posted on your success. I'll be hunting some acorns tomorrow morning, not sure how the full moon is going to affect us... but I gotta go when I can!
Wouldn't you rather be hunting deer?

Seriously, thanks. I'm geared up and ready to go. I'll be on my stand an hour before first light. It's my ritual. Good luck to the rest of you.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Good to see some of you guys are out hunting. I just got back tonight from two weeks+ sight-seeing out west with wife and friends (earning my kitchen pass, lol). Anyway, I'll need a few days to make sure the bow shooting is still in order, and then I'll be headed out.

-fsh
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Wouldn't you rather be hunting deer?
Haha! Well I should have just hunted acorns, cause I didn't see any deer!! The full moon and heat had them in lock down I guess. The acorns were insane, they were so thick!

Anyway, looks like we're getting a bunch of rain the next few days, I'm going to try to make it out tomorrow morning before the rain. Then I should be out Friday morning again. But my sister inlaw is getting married this weekend, so I wont get out at all on saturday... I should make it out on Monday though
Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my Tennessee opening weekend has come and gone. I saw 25 does/fawns Saturday morning and I took two of them. I arrowed one of the small ones at 7:00 am and heard it go down close, but on the other side of some thick cover. A few minutes later I was sitting on the rail of my Summit Viper looking in the direction the does had went when I shot and I heard something behind me. I looked over my shoulder and there were two does feeding on some acorns in the road 15 yards from my stand. They never knew I was there until the arrow hit at 7:13 am.

I shot the first doe with a Slick Trick 125 Magnum and got a great blood trail. The second doe was shot with a 1 3/4" 125 grain Grim Reaper. Despite a massive exit wound, I had a sorry blood trail. Still, we found them both in short order. That was my last shot using Grim Reapers. It'll be Slick Tricks from now on.

Anyway, I had those two quartered and in the fridge cooling within 3 hours of finding the second one and I went back out that afternoon. Even though I had no more room in the fridge I couldn't pass up the chance to be out there and possibly miss a chance at a buck even though I've never seen a shooter buck at this spot. I saw 1 doe Saturday evening and 7 does/fawns Sunday morning. It was awesome watching them walk that road a mere 15 yards from me feeding on acorns and totally unaware that I was watching them. That's a great feeling.

I'll be headed out to Arkansas Thursday for the Friday opener. I have high hopes for a buck there. Here's a pic of the second doe. I had already changed out of my hunting gear for the recovery/field dressing. Nasty exit wound. It's hard to believe that the blood trail was so sparse.
Attached Thumbnails Team 11 Natural Bone Killers!-img_6420.jpg  

Last edited by LittleChief; 09-28-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Well done LC - some good eating there! I'm using slick tricks and have stayed away from expandables for the time being...

My first trip out was tonight, had a doe fawn and two bucks come by. I am hunting EAB property, and I was very tempted to take the doe fawn as she fed on acorns just 15 yds away. I glassed her several times, and was convinced that she was indeed a doe, but still gave her a pass. One of the bucks was an interesting-looking 7 pt piebald (2 1/2) - he needed another year or two anyway.

-fsh
Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe LC!

I didnt make it out this morning - kids decided we didn't really need to sleep last night and getting up early was out of the question.

I'll be out Friday morn, cant wait!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job LC, that is strange on the blood trail though.

Went out to scout my Managed Hunt area again last night and found a couple very promising spots. One strip of woods was so thick with hickorys you couldn't take a step w/o stepping on 5 or 6 or them. At another spot I was checking out an "L" shaped field and one my way back to the truck when I came around the bend there were 4 huge doe standing between me and my truck.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Went down to the marshland this morning and killed my first sika, a spike. Shot him around 715 this morning. They were bugling like crazy..... For you guys not from around MD they are a member if the elk family, small as hell, and spend most of there time in the marsh grass. I'll get a picture up by monday
Old 10-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Whacker!! Getting a sika is on my to do list.

I've seen a lot of deer, but am hunting does on EAB lands for now. I've had several bucks pass by in range, fortunately no shooters in the bunch.

My tracking dog, Ruby, got her first find of the season this morning - not a long track, but my friend hit a doe a bit back and there was little blood. Ruby and I are headed out early tomorrow morning to look for another doe - she was shot this evening, but evidence suggests we give time before searching...

-fsh
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

Got up early this am with Ruby and she found my friend's doe in short order - gut shot and no blood. The doe was only 150 yds away, so it was good that we let her lay over night.

-fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.