Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009 Archery Turkey Contest
 **RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail >

**RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail

Community

**RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail

Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: **RETURNING CHAMPS** Team 3 thread

Boy that bird had some nasty hooks on him Germ. WCL
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Congrats!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well took my brother again yesterday mornin after an unsucessful morning takin my mother out saturday. Roosted one bird sat night so that was the only tom we had within workin distance. Woke up LATE yesterday at 5:15 cuz we were out till 1am shootin fish sat night. Woke Kevin up and said lets go we are late. Left the house in 10 min and made it to the farm at 5:45. The tom started gobblin when we were half way to the blind. Got set up and started callin. He answered almost every time. Waited till fly down time and did a series of 4 excited cuttin yelp sequences and he answered everytime. Then I shut up and didnt say a word. Told my brother to draw his bow once and was still gettin set up in the blind. Looked out the window and did a call and he landed on the edge of the field 200 yds and was puttin his feathers away and shakin off the nights rain. Called again and he let one out. Started walkin towards us fannin out and and got about 1/3 of the way to us and then he realized our jake decoy was on top of our hen and he was comin hot n' heavy all out runnin. Half strutted the last 15 yards and told him to draw. Bird came to full strutt next to the jake and Kevin hit him good. Threw the blind of and said go get him. The bird started half flyin and runnin across the field. One wing and one leg was messed up so he couldn't fly. We finally caught him abotu 150-200 yards across the field and he died shortly after from blood loss. Was a great hunt and shot him at 6:12. Got it on film and first bird with the bow for my almost 15 year old brother and firstkill with his outback since he got it a week ago friday. 21 lbs 8.25" beard, 7/8" spurs.He owes me big thisyear, haha.O well my season will be the first weekend of may so hopefully I canput one down too.... Nice job Germ. WCL

Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Great story WCL, hopefully the good karma comes back for you and you can lay a big thunder chicken down! The 25th can't get here quick enough!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope so. Good luck on Saturday. We got 3 more to go. That would be sweet if all 5 of us got birds. WCL
Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

WCL, that's a cool big brother story! Congrats to both you and your brother! You'll get yours....Karma for sure!

Hey, have you guys noticed the radar screen? That blimp is team eight on your six! Three birds down and two members still waiting for their season to open. This one might be a photo finish!

Congrats on the birds guys!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Went out opening morning BUT no luck....had hens no Gobblers. heard one bird. that makes for a long day as we all know. Congrats to birds already down.......hopefully a repeat. i will keep you posted......I am also in a transition. I am moving back to my hometown to help run the family business. so I may be touch n go on here.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

How'd ya do buck? I hunt this weekend so we'll see. WCL
[align=center] [/align]
Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM

I got my butt whooped by turkeys the past week. I had a fewclose encounters but they are really hen'd up and its more or less a waiting game and hoping one comes past. I will be back out tomorrow morning by myself for the first time this year. I have high hopes but no promises.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I got my butt kicked this weekend too and had some bad luck to boot. Birds were henned up and not talkin much after they flew down. Sat mornin didn't have anything near us so went home early scoutin a couple other places on the way. Found a tom and jake with 4 hensby mybuddies on the neighbors land (doesnt get hunted) and decided to come back around noon and try it hoping he would leave them then. Went back at 12:30 and there he was right on the fence line huddled up in the corner of the field with the jake and one hen. Problem was we were having 25-30 mph winds with gusts way stronger than that. Blind was no option so we decided to just try and sneak above them and hope we would have a place to hide in some cover. Well there wasn't anywhere to hide. Got within 100 yards of them couldn't find cover so we climbed into my buddies box deer stand. We could see the birds still sittin in the field now. Made a call and they started coming right away. Tom came to 20 yards struttin but couldn't see the decoys and didn't come all the way up the hill. If he would have, it would have been a perfectly level shot against the hill side.He was on the down hill side and was hard to try and shoot over the box stand sides. They lost interest and I couldn't call being right above them so decided to try a shot as they turned to go back to the neighbors. Drew and put it on him and shot but my bow was touching the box stand side and not relizing it I shot and the bow jumped from hitting the side and my arrow did some crazy stuff. Blew it!! Took two more shot but they were through the thick woods at 30 and 40 yards and both arrows hit braches and missed.... Just not the ideal situation and didn't work out. Sunday had birds around us but would not work for anything. To many dang hens!! Still got this saturday to hunt and one more weekend in may so we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll take the good luck charm (AKA my brother) on saturday. WCL

Quick Reply: **RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.