Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team X Factor Thread (10) >

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wont be posting until sunday, good luck out there this week guys! Stay safe & hunt hard!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Going out tomorrow morning, then going to look at some ground to buy. Next weekend we're heading down to some IL public ground for a 3 day hunt. Hopefully I'll have something before gun season opens.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Ed - I haven't been hunting the farm, but did see a v nice buck last night. Maybe it'll be your lucky day when you come down, lol.
---------------
I had an 8 and 10 ptr yesterday afternoon on another property, both less than 20 yds away. Unfortunately, neither qualified for herd-bull status, and I gave a pass to both. The 10 ptr was 110ish. Tonight, a 4 and 6'er passed by in range. I have any of four bucks in my dreams, no joy yet.

I went to VA to turk hunt with my friend Chuck Weds morning - first time in years I didn't work any fall birds. I got a call from a friend who gut shot a buck that morning. When I got home, Kathy, Ruby and I went to look for the buck 4 hours after the hit. No initial blood, but Ruby found the buck after doing the 250yd track under 5 min. This is the first time I have ever got my wife (a non-hunter but very tolerant of my habits, 38 yrs married) to help me look for a deer - woohoo!

-fsh

Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is awesome fsh! Give your dog a pet on the head! Sounds like a great track!

And what the heck is up with that deers rack? Got any other pics of it...man it looks weird, or maybe its just the pic? Looks like a reindeer or something, LOL

Glad to hear you are seeing bucks, its still slow here. I passed a doe this morning...cause I heard more deer coming and one grunted one time. I hoped there was a buck worth shooting. They didn't come out of the pines unofortunately, but I did see 6 total this morning. I'm hoping next week will turn on.

Edit: and WooHoo on the wife! Baby steps, right!

Last edited by WV Hunter; 11-05-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

FSH- CONGRATS TO YOU AND RUBY
HAVE BEEN CHECKING SEE THE MONSTER I EXPECT YOU TO GET.
I'M IN ALBERTA , TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY TO HUNT THEN OFF TO COLORADO TO GET A LOAD AND DRIVE BACK TO ALASKA
SAW AN OK BUCK AFTER DARK DRIVING FROM HUNTING AREA, ON THE TAIL OF A DOE. I'M ON TEAM 30 THIS YEAR.. GOOD LUCK FRIEND.
PAT
TAKE CARE
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Mike
The buck was older than 2 1/2 (-?) and carried a rather poor rack, so that my friend decided to take him out of the gene pool. I guesstimate the live weight at ~170#.

-fsh

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

It's that time guys - get in your stands. I've had bucks in range just about every time I've been out - unfortunately, no shooters. Several does have been close too, but its not the wisest move to shoot a doe who comes running in and is looking at her back trail... This morning, a 100 ish 8 ptr stopped at 15 yds. Tonight I had a 2 1/2 yr old pie bald buck at 10 yds - he was a 7 ptr that is about 50% white. Maybe next year, if he is still around. My friends have been telling me about the very nice bucks they are seeing in the daylight hours.

-fsh
Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a doe tonight. Felt really good. Going down to some public ground next weekend. Hopefully gonna tag me a buck.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey guys, made it back from my VA trip. I screwed up big time, I hit a super nice buck (10 or 12 pt, bout 20" wide) with my muzzleloader and I didnt recover it. I basically got excited and took a quartering-too shot, miss judged the range and I think I hit it high in the neck/back. At first I thought I hit 1 lung but the way it bled I think I just hit muscle, and I'm hoping the deer survives. It was late, just a few min of shooting light left and I rushed the shot. We tracked it to the river after 3 hrs wait, then I waited till morn to wade accross the river and tracked it till 4 pm, only going about another 300 yrds. All in all we tracked it about 1/2 mile before the blood trail went away, sure could have used Ruby But the water from the river rinsed the blood off, we had maybe 20-30 yrds of good blood (watered down i think) then it was specks here and there, I ended the day crawling on hands and knees looking for blood. The last bit of blood I had was on the underside of a leaf about 18" off the ground on a small tree. Which is why I think it was a high shoulder hit, the deer never bedded, and kept a good pace (we were getting blood every 8ft). The most frustrating part is I dont know why I took the shot! I knew better, I should have slowed down, I even remember thinking that I should wait on the shot!!! For some dumb reason I thought the ML would go through the shoulder bone and that it was 125 yrds, not 85 so I held a little high!!!

Anyway, I've been beating myself up over this all weekend. It was one of the better bucks I've ever shot! I'm chalking it up to one tough learning experience. Other than that it was a great trip, had some great time w/ friends and was covered up in game. Saw 4-5 different 2.5 yr old bucks, and 2-3 nice shooters (the buck I shot was with an 8 pt ~18" wide and really tall, that I almost shot before I saw him) I saw a ton of turkeys, and almost shot one but I was seeing so many deer I didnt want to take a shot.

Anyway, I wont be out till thursday when I head down to Andy's place for a hunt! I'm really pumped about that hunt! Then I have fri-sat to hunt around home so my fingers are crossed that I'll redeem myself

Andy - great find, glad Ruby was working well and your wife was involved!! I'll send you an email about this week.

Crenth - Congrats on the doe! I'm sure it felt great! Got any pics?

Last edited by HuntingEd; 11-08-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Well Guys I hunted this weekend and the deer activity is starting to pick up. I saw a 125" 8 point Sunday morning and some of my friends have killed good bucks. I will be out every chance I get so keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck and be safe.

William

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.