Community

Team 3 - Just Chasin Tail

Old 04-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 3 Turkey Contest

Congrats on the bird.... I struck out this weekend. Had birds workin and saw lots a toms but just couldn't close the deal/distance. Got some great video this weekend but no kill. They were puttin on a show for us but that was about it. Had a group of 5 toms (4 strutting non stop)and 4 hens in a group come to 60 yards but no further. Had 7 jakes in the decs within the first half hour on sat and a bearded hen at 35 yards but chose not to shoot any of them cuz I'd rather shoot a tom unless it was the last day. Had other toms workin but just couldn't make it happen as we would ahve to try and move to them and this and that. Got another 5 day season in 5 weeks so I'll try to put one down then. Good luck to the rest of you as your hunts come up.... Brother killed a nice tom with the gun friday mornin and my dadgot a goodtom this afternoon with the gun (last day of the 5 day season and his last three birds he has killed over thecouple yearshave come on the lastday and twoofthe 3in the last 10 minutes oflegal shootin time).I am calling him LastDayLarry now, haha.Good luck and take er easy. WCL
Old 04-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Well guys, I am getting ready to hit the sack soon. I am getting up at 4:30 and will be at my hunting spot by 5 a.m. I should be all set-up by 5:20 a.m. and then the fun begins.

I watched a field tonight where I missed a big gobbler last year, well, sure enough he was back, two missing tail feathers and all. He had a single hen with him and as I watched them feed out of the field, I watched the hen walk towards the woods on the west side of the field and the gobbler headed to the northern side of the field. I was pumped to see them split up, it was getting fairly dark and when they entered the woods they were a good 300 yards apart. Guess where I am gonna be in the morning...... right between them with a jake mounting a hen decoy right in front of me. We are supposed to have some light rain in the morning so things are looking great. Good luck to the rest of you guys!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

I am on the board. I killed a bird this AM apprx 8am. I will post pics soon. My personal photographer Matt / pa took some nice post field pics once again. specs; 9" beard 21.16lbs and 1" spurs. He is something I have never seen as far as coloration. You will see in the pics what I mean. I used the Diamond marquis CX 3-d select maxima and a stryker broadhead 100gr. pics will follow tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Sweet! Post some pics...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Congrats Frank, that bird is.... well.....ummmm..... unique He looks like an old warrior.

My first day didn't go exactly as planned. I got set-up in the morning on the edge of a green field. As it started getting light the gobbler lit up about 150 yards behind me. He was pretty fired up so I waited until I figured that he was getting ready to fly down and did a few soft yelps followed by a gobble on my box call, and he went crazy. He started triple gobbling and wouldn't stay quiet for more than 30 seconds. Well, as the sun started comming up I heard him getting closer, then he started getting further away I shut up knowing that this was the only green field near these woods and I was set-up close to where the turkeys always enter it. After about half an hour I did a few soft yelps without any replys. I waited around and about 15 minutes later I look out the corner of the blind and see a turkey step out of the woods about 10 yards to the right of my blind. It was a hen, I knew that I had the bird, afterall, I watched the field Friday night and only say that gobbler and one hen. I got my bow ready knowing that he would be on her tail following her out of the woods.... well, he never did! I sat there and watched her feed out through the green field and back in towards the woods. I sat there for over an hour after that without hearing/seeing any more birds and I packed it in. I then decided it was time to go fish Yellow Creek, get to the road and it is lined in cars, must have been over 300 cars at this one little spot. It was "Kids Fish Day" and the Yellow Creek Trout Club had stocked in the morning and they usually dump in tons of rainbows with the smallest being 16". I gave up and headed to a small stream that gets hardly any pressure and found a bunch of trout, but the water was so low and crystal clear that they were very skittish. I worked salmon eggs, nightcrawlers, and mealworms past a nice brown and he was scared of everything. He would quickly swim away from any bait when it got within 5 feet of him. After that, I admitted defeat on the day and just headed home to watch the NFL draft!

I am not sure if I am going to hit the woods in the morning before work or not, I will definetly be out before work on Tuesday though. Good luck to the guys who are still out there!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

BM's enemy[8D]posted pics for me and it is in the scorecard section. going out to try to fill my second tag.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Nice bird! Were in the lead. Let's get a couple more on the board and seal the deal!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BM scored this mornin. Now its up to me and Germ to finish er off. I don't have another season till may 21-25th. Way to go you 3 with birds on the ground so far. WCL
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

nice Job you guys!!!!

My MI season starts May 5th through 31st. I will give it hell!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Nice job guys!!!!

Quick Reply: Team 3 - Just Chasin Tail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.