Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Indoor Leagues
 Week 2 Standings and Discussion >

Week 2 Standings and Discussion

Community
2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

Week 2 Standings and Discussion

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Week 2 Standings and Discussion

Here comes the obvious question, are you ready? Why? With my .029 covering up the entire 10 ring, I don't have a fine aiming point, it's more of a loose aiming point. Can't hit what I can't see, right?
After the first end....I've got a HELLUVA aiming point!

I think the larger sight pin was to eliminate so much float (or give the archer the appearance of less).
Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

ORIGINAL: mobow

Well I was actually pretty disappointed in my score, I'm capable of better. But, I got my "official" targets from Lancaster today, and last evening I installed my new Sword Apex Micro 3rd plane, 5 .010 pin sight. I don't have a lens on it to keep me in the bowhunter classes, but I'm really believing the .010 pins will do nothing but help. That .029 I had covered almost the entire 10 ring @ 20 yards.....LOL
I'd actually rather have a larger pin to shoot spots with.
Here comes the obvious question, are you ready? Why? With my .029 covering up the entire 10 ring, I don't have a fine aiming point, it's more of a loose aiming point. Can't hit what I can't see, right?

I shot it a few times last evening to sight my 20 yard pin in, and I noticed a huge difference just with that. I'm pretty sure it's going to do nothing but help me, but I don't have near the experience you do, so I may be wrong.....

For those that may be interested ( I know of 1....) here is a picture, and I'm working on a full review of the sword sight. I'm currently writing it up, and have a few more pictures to take.

I have had mine a little over 2 weeks and absolutly love it. It is taking a little bit to get used to the .010 pins because they do float. I am improving every week so thats what I was hoping for.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because you're not "aiming" per say. You're just floating. Look at what most of your dot shooters are shooting. With a big pin, you ARE blocking what you're "aiming" at out. RJ will explain this better than I can. Just wait for his response.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 PM

There it is again.....Because that's what they ALL do.......I realize the big pin covers up the dot, and I realize you aren't aiming, you're floating........BUT......If your pin is completely covering the X, you will float right out of it and not hit it, yes? Makes sense to me. Where as a small pin will still float, but remain in the X ring....

Ok, I'll use it too......Why is it that all the 3D guys are shooting .010 pins? I realize that I am new to the target archery arena, and I realize that I sure have a hell of a lot to learn......But I still say you can't hit what you can't see......ESPECIALLY when the X ring on a vegas face is the size of a nickel....

Seems to me, and I could be wrong, but my logical brain tells me I was floating outside of the X ring, which is why I was hammering the 10's but not the X's.....If I'm floating inside the X, I'm gonna hit it more than I was.....Does that, or does that not, sound logical?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mobow, for 2x reasons a larger pin is usually used in the bowhunter freestyle class for spots. First is because you will see less percieved movement, and trust your pin float much more just allowing your self to focus on where you want that arrow to go, instead of where you pin is. Analogy........when driving your car what would happen if you looked at the road directly in front of the hood, instead of100 yards in front of you?You would likely see a lot of choppy, controlled corrections to your steering. It's too tempting to try and overcorrect this way, andforce your aim, instead of just focusing on the spot you want to hit. Make sense? If you have a pin large enough to just cover up most of the yellow, your eye will automatically center things up, it's human nature. It's just sooooo much easier to trust your hold this way.

In addition to this, if you get a big hole in the target that isn't in the middle, your arrow has a tendency to go where you are looking.......sucking you into these holes. If your pin is big enough to cover most of the yellow, you can't see these holes (unless they were really bad [8D]).

I do shoot a lens, but I use a black ring on my lens, it allows me to just stare at the X instead of the movement of my scope.

Now for 3D throw all that out of the window. Completely different game. Now your not able to see a specific dot like on a spots target, your looking for a specific detail, hole in the target, corner of a shadow, etc. Most will also agree that it's much easier to trust your pin float on a 3D target because you can't typically see the X ring and can't see exactly how much your floating on it. Most of the time my aiming point is on a chewed up spot on the target and I've got to see as much detail as possible there to know I'm holding on the right spot. Make sense?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Matt, that makes perfect sense, and I understand completely what you mean. Maybe I just don't have the experience to truly know, but it still seems to me that I can't hit what I can't see. Like I said earlier, my pin will float outside of the x ring......I see what you mean about the perception of less float w/ a bigger pin. I've never shot pins other than .029 so maybe I just don't know.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I knew he'd explain it better. I just didn't know how to put it into words. For 3D I want the smallest pin i can see (.010") and for spots, I like either a Black circle that just seems to straddle the white (5spot target). I like using a big black DOT on a Vegas face. Just me though.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, at leastI can not go any lower[8D]
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

no worries, Oneshot. It's good to see that you're in.

Interesting, though not unexpected, how most scores improved over week 1. I guess I would expect this as shooters get past the uncertainty of the first week and get more comfortable with the format.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm shooting .019 for my top pin. As I mentioned earlier....right or wrong....once the first end has been shot.....I have a good reference point for the next arrow in that target.

Quick Reply: Week 2 Standings and Discussion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.