Community
2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

3D/Target guys....Fitness

Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3D/Target guys....Fitness

heck of an accomplishment Matt keep at it
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

58lbs last count and I've probably packed on 6-8lbs of muscle as well. Thanks for noticing. LOL
278 down to a current 220.

I can tell you with certainty that my working out and overlal physical fitness gains are helping my 3D shooting.
I'm not winded after getting to an uphill target, and I seem to be holding much steadier overall.
Some of it might be attributied to shooting traditional bows although I'm not sure?
All I know is that my shooting feels as good or better than ever.

I hit it pretty hard 3-4 days a week in the basement but it's nothing anyone couldn't do........a simple full upper body resistance excercise routinenot really with archery in mind but I know archery is benefitting.

I typically just do a 3 cycle routine of sets of various exercises.(And trust me I had to work UP to this )
First set:
65-70 push-ups
30 sit-ups
12 pull-ups (flat handed on my steel Ibeam in the basement
20 dips
100 fast count on the heavy bag
20 side shoulder raises with 2 block targets.
30 dumbell curls (not sure of weight but it's pretty heavy?)
100 count jump rope

I do this 3 times and the only thing that varies is that I'll burn out on push-ups on the next 2 sets at around 55-60 and then 50-55 for the 3rd
And pull ups at about 10 and 8 good ones respectively, the rest remains the same.

I start running as soon as the weather gets above - 35 degrees here.

Archery was not my intention when I started this process back in June 2007 but it's a heck of a nice side benefit and I'm confident it will give me a leg up in the serious shoots this spring and summer.
I can already tell my back doesn't get tired like it used to after 20-30 targets.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

like rick james, the best shooters ive ever seen, keep in mind i havent seen many, but a couple of the ones i have/do see are some of the biggest dudes ive seen lol...

like RJ, they carry the backpack/stool deal, huff and puff all 50-100yds to the next target and are half dead when they get there...usually have a smoke or get a drink...bust out the binocs and the score ring cards and the whol 9yds..ponder the actual distance, though they shot that target 20 times before in their life...ponder the wind and angle and everything else...by the time that group shoots, im usually at home and finished the course lol...

but, they can shoot. they sit there and gripe about being off a yard or 2 on the distance threw them into the 10 ring..yes, they range the targets after shooting to take up MORE time...really, they must make an afternoon out of a 3d shoot, while im out of there in about an hour unless they are spread out far or theres extra guys in our group...

i dont think their size effect their shooting....sure i can see it HELPING if they werent 150lbs over weight, but they take their time and they do what they do....

same thing with shooting target guns...the best indoor 3 position shooter ive ever met in my life is old and way out of shape...but ive seen his targets and got to watch him shoot...dont let the size fool you...the big guys can and will shoot accurately...

that being said, i wouldnt start eating fast food 5x a day because i doubt their size HELPS lol..just wierd some of the best shooters i know are large guys
Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

like RJ, they carry the backpack/stool deal, huff and puff all 50-100yds to the next target and are half dead when they get there...usually have a smoke or get a drink...bust out the binocs and the score ring cards and the whol 9yds..ponder the actual distance, though they shot that target 20 times before in their life...ponder the wind and angle and everything else...by the time that group shoots, im usually at home and finished the course lol...
I don't buy that argument one bit to tell you the truth.........or see that same thing especially (OK maybe exclusively since I don't shoot spots) on the 3D courses. Take a gander down the list of IBO Open Prosand if you know the names there and can put the faces with the names you'll have a hard time finding one of these guys who isn't built like an athelete. OK maybe Hopkins but he's a BEAR of a guy who is just BIG.
guys like Tim Gillingham, Nathan Brooks, Chance, Dan Mccarthy, Matt Bressler you name it, they all look like athletes.
Matt Bressler is a good friend of mine and he's built like an MMA fighter. He told me "You don't think I work out to look good do you?, it's ABSOLUTELY an advantage on the course"
He told me that I won't believe the benefits of changing my bodycome the middle of June in 90 degree heat at the 2nd leg of the National Triple crown. I'm starting to see that old fighter style build I had in college and it's gonna help no doubt about it.
Good shooters who would otherwise do just fine strolling around an ASA course will simply wilt hiking an IBO. fat guys might have time to regroup on each target from huffing and puffing around the course but each one will take more of a toll as the day progresses.
You need to be able to shoot every shot as strong as the first.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

matt, dont know that they are true pros or anything...know the one works at the local "pro" shop and pretty sure he shoots ibo...either that or he just liked to tote around the gear and act the part...really have no idea...i watched him shoot more than once, and i was impressed, though i guess i never hung around any real pros or anything...so for all i know he really stinks lol..but him and a couple other guys in the group are all good sized guys...guess i always do see and pass them at the beginning of the course...

i can definently see the point of being tired/exhausted/fatigue taking its toll on their shots, exspecially on 3d shoots...exspecially in the hills of PA...but, for standing there, drawing back a bow and shooting i dont know that size matters...factor in the walking and carrying the gear around on a nice humid August morning in the hills of PA, and them guys are huffing and puffing and no doubt feeling it...