Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44) >

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Community

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: official team 44 thread

Hey guys, I just got the call and im gonna be guiding this weekend, for youth gun season, friday through sunday, im not thrilled ,i wanted to be hunting for myself, but at least im in the woods, im hoping to sneek out friday morning and get in the stand , will keep you posted
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

do some videoing for the kids. Make a movie about them and send each kid one. Im sure they will like that.
Good luck to the youth and good luck to you if you can make it out.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys all I can say is what a weekend! Three misses, one bad shot, and adead doe.
Ill start off the story by saying we have seen about 20 differant bucks (10 which were over 130" and 2 that were 150-160") along with about 60-70 does. In just Saturday and Sunday. That was the last weekend I was gonna have for hunting for about a month or so. thanksigving week I will be in arkansas bear hunting and sharing time with the family then the weekend after that is gun season.
Sense it was the last weekend I figured I better try my hardest to get something on the ground.
Start off on saturday morning. Walking in to my stand I scared about 10 differant deer up. Its hard getting to this stand because its at the end of a cornfield and theres no trees along the side to get a little cover. Once I got in my stand I started seeing deer. I had three bucks come about 70 yards and one was limping by the back legs (I thought it was hit by a vehicle.) It was also a decent buck and if it got close there was no way I wasn't going to take the shot. Sadly the two other bucks walked back out and he followed them. 10-15 minutes later some does came out. Then they went back. I got the horns out at daylight and did some rattling. A huge 140" bucks comes up over the hill to the brand new fence. The fence is just a little to tall. at the begginning of the season I was watching deer struggling to get over it. Most of them just walked around it. But that buck never jumped the fence. It was trying to but it just went back over the hill like it wasn't worth it. There is much more story to that saturday morning but I dont want to make this read to long.
About 3 hours of sitting I got out of the stand and walked to this special log that I have. I saw a deer pop its head out and out it comes. It was a big 8. Heentered the creek so I silently ran to wear it came out at and then I saw the horns come back out of the creek and I froze. He started walking in front of me about 20 yards. He stopped head turned away from me. I pulled back. He put his head down and started grazing again. His front leg was forward and I let the arrow go. Off he runs.I shot a little forward and we didn't have much blood. We followed the blood trail forever. Never once did we find a spot where the deer stopped or layed down. We searched the whole day and a little the next day but never found him.
Saturday night wasn't the best night for hunting but we saw a few does, none of which would come in.
Sunday morning I had a doe come out followed this little guy I have on camera. He comes in within 20 yards, but to bad he didn't have about 130 more inches of horn on him.
Later on this big doe comes out with 4 others. the range finder wasn't working so I had to guess it. I aimed at 33 but it was at 25. Over the back it goes.
I got out of my stand, got my arrow. I figured it was about time to head back to the cabin. I was walking back and spotted another doe on the edge of the field. My position sorta sucked. I was right on top of the hill about 40 yards away. Good thing she was facing the opposite way and had her mind on the food. I krept closer. I got to about 35 yards and she looked up and spotted me. instead of running off she starting walking to ME! I was so confused. I stood there as still as I could for about 20 minutes as she kept stepping closer then eating, steping close then eating, and so on. She finally got about 15 yards (sounds unbelieveable but im serious). I was pulled and let the arrow go as she stopped. Over the back it went.
Started walking back and there was two more does in the timbera little. I dida fawn bleat and the does slowly moved to me. I pulled on one. I let the arrow go. Over the back it went.
Okay now the good parts coming. sunday evening I was climbing my stand and for some reason I knew there was gonna be a deer looking at me. I looked to the left and sure enough there was a small doe looking at me. It never spooked I just waited till it went back to the food. I got up got all ready and then three more does pop out. Then a little buck. I did the doe can call and two of the does and the buck comes my way. One of the does comes pretty much under my stand. I pulled back and guessed she was at 7 yards. I knew I was shooting high so I aimed low. Knowing the deer was right under me I aimed even lower. I let the arrow go. Perfect double lung pass through shot. She jumped the fence and she started getting all wably and started to stumble to the ground but caught her balance and ran about 40 yards and plopped down dead.
What a weekend. I wished it would have turned out just a little bit better but we have some meat for the freezer so im good for now.
by the way I lost about $40 in arrows.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

nice work buddy!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the doe Andrew! Great story too. Sorry about that 8 pointer getting away but it sounds like he surely will be fine and maybe you'll meet him again!

Congrats on the buck Joejr. Always good to see the team get on the board!

Just got in from Illinois last night. What a season! I had 10 good shot opportunities at bucks between 110" and 130" but I was keyed in on a very tall and respectably wide 4x5 that I would estimate was in the high 160"s at least. I saw him 5 times while hunting and had him as close as 29 yards once but didn't have a clear shot. We had at least 7-8 different bucks seen on the property that were easily 150+ including one that would easily hit 180+. The best one we killed grossed 171"

I'm hoping I can get back for a late season bowhunt. We have turnip patches everywhere and the recent freezes should sweeten them up nicely.Maybe I can catch one of those big guys when they start flocking to the turnips.

Here's a picture of Jim with the big one

Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow that is a nice buck. Too bad you didn't get a shot at the big one. We need to get some more points on the board.

Im heading down to Arkansas tomorrow for thanksgiving and then for some bear and deer hunting.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I looked hard at that 130 buck. He was at 15 yards and there for several minutes. I let him walk because last year, I shot this guy only to see two that were considerably bigger while hunting to fill a doe tag. I did'nt want to take a buck that is a twin to one already on my wall when I had monsters in the area

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I dont blame you bob ,im in the same boat, but i havent seen anything else any good since i passed. thats hunting, im waiting to head back out as shotgun season is going on right now.we had a few clients back a few bucks and several does , but nothing that is really huge, im waiting on pictures from my buddy, will post as soon as i get them.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just got back from the second gun hunt on our Illinois lease.Two of the bucks I passed in archery season were takenwith shotguns this week.One was 125" and the other was just over 130"

Still got lots of bowhunting time back here in PA and I have a spot that just gets better and better in the late season. Hope all is well with you guys. Looks like the contest is slipping away but we aint dead just yet!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You all know that droptine buck that I had pictures of in the summer? My dad shot that buck monday morning.

I haven't gotten a shot at anything at all. During shotgun season my uncle and dad missed a 170-180" deer 6 times.

They were prety upset.

Quick Reply: Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.