Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29) >

Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Community

Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 29 Thread

Yeah, I told her that based on the name we had, we needed a humor based avatar. I think she did the job!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Cool avatar!!

Tim
Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

the avatar looks great! I wish I would have found some ladder stands that cheap! Was it a well known store?

rick
Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TJF

ORIGINAL: FLboy77

Great deer guys Hope I can add to those inches (it wont be much). The deer down here are not known for their antlers we'll just say that much.
Nathan

What type of terrain do you hunt?? example... big woods, ag land, swamp landor ect... What is abig buck to you ( field dressed weightand rack size ) for your area?? When does your season start and end??

Tim
There are two main WMA's I hunt one is further north and has a lot of what I call ridges and pines Turkey oaks and its more open. The other place is about 20 mi. south and it has a lot of pines and oaks and swamp. It is over 100,000 acres of land so there is a lot to choose from. A big deer here will go 150 on the hoof and anything over 120 is HUGE.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Oh ya Nice Avatar guys!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

NICE AVATAR!!!!.......no the shop i bought them from was a local archery shop....i couldnt believe it when i saw them....they were like $80 and that isnt all that bad either..but i bought em up for 39.99..hahah.....16FT. ladder...jus perfect in my book...has a foam seat and hand rails...decent setup...lol

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

I want to take this opportunity to bring something up that JFergus7 mentioned to me last night. I don't want to have any of our team's hard work to be wasted by not having things square for the contest. I'm sure most of us here are veterans of the contest, but I can't stress enough how important it is to have a camera with you on EVERY hunt! I keep my digital with me at all times when I'm hunting, but I also keep a disposable film camera in with my gear at all times. Take multiple shots and poses with whatever camera you're using but try to make sure you have more than source. If it's man made, it can and will fail when you least expect it and generally when it's at a most inopportune time. Please be sure to go back and re-read the RULES post to make sure your photos are legal for the contest i.e. the hunter, the WHOLE deer, and of course your trusty weapon! We don't need a simple mistake costing us precious inches!
After I posted this; I had another couplethoughts come up that just had to be voiced here. In last years contest there was a person that tried to pass off a gun kill in this contest, and I believe there were legal ramifications. I highly doubt that this even needs to be brought up with this group, but some rifle and bow seasons run hand in hand in some states like it does here in WI.....it's just for fun so let's keep it clean.
I know I stressed to you the importance of photos for the contest, but it's more than that. The photos should also be great mementos for all you for remembering hunts past and to pull out once in a while for a trip down memory lane. I know everyone is different, but I will ask one favor from all of you that regardless of the contest, TAKE NICE PHOTOS! I really don't want to see a photo from anyone on team of a buck in the back of a truck or in a trailer! There are few things that rub me the wrong way more than the disrespect of taking like that instead of where the animal was taken. We all know what they should look like....it only takes a couple seconds so do it right, and I'm still waiting to see the annual TAKE QUALITY PICS thread and once it's posted I'd like you ALL to go read through it.
FINALLY.....it's a long season....LET'S HAVE FUN!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

i always try to take some nice photos but what exactly are the rules pertaining to the contest?

Basically, get a picture of you with the deer, the animal and the bow right?

What about points for does? do they count at all?

rick
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah Rick that's the basic gist of it. For a picture to be legal, the ENTIRE deer must in the picture (not just a head, skull, or rack), of course the hunter must be in the pic AND the bow.
To be official, the picture MUST be posted in the Official Score Card/Team List thread with the measurements and total. The picture must also posted within 10 days of the kill so as not suspect of the hunter holding out for a larger deer. ONLY the FIRST antlered deer you kill can be counted for the contest! No, I did not see anywhere on the rules about any points being awarded for does, but I will check into to make sure.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

Great deer guys Hope I can add to those inches (it wont be much). The deer down here are not known for their antlers we'll just say that much.
Nathan

What type of terrain do you hunt?? example... big woods, ag land, swamp landor ect... What is abig buck to you ( field dressed weightand rack size ) for your area?? When does your season start and end??

Tim
There are two main WMA's I hunt one is further north and has a lot of what I call ridges and pines Turkey oaks and its more open. The other place is about 20 mi. south and it has a lot of pines and oaks and swamp. It is over 100,000 acres of land so there is a lot to choose from. A big deer here will go 150 on the hoof and anything over 120 is HUGE.
Thanks, that is interesting. You've got a lot of land to hunt !! Is there a good population of deer?? I know next to nothing about Florida on how good the deer hunting is so I am curious. Do you have any pictures you can post of your hunting area if it isn't a problem??

This iswhat my area looks like....

It is not as flat as it lookswith quite a few cattail sloughs. This is Crp but we are mostly ag here. Just substitute cropinsteadofgrass and you've got a good idea what my area is like. The few trees we have here are shelter belts consisting of 1 to 12 rows of trees that we planted in the 40s. Deer really don't use them much during daylight hours. No mast producing trees.

Tim

Quick Reply: Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.