HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-deer-bowhunting-contest-97/)
-   -   Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-deer-bowhunting-contest/258923-official-team-dark-horses-thread-returning-champs-13-a.html)

dukemichaels 12-02-2008 12:28 PM

RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

ORIGINAL: mcouey

Hunted hard in West Tennessee this weekend. Saw some real good sign, but the only buck that came by was a 4in spike. I let him walk.

I still have a late Archery Only season coming in Mid-December, plus I have yet to hunt the local WMA archery only area. I'm aiming for that this weekend. I just hope I get some free time, before dark, this week to scout it out better. I'm certain there's some good deer hiding out in that WMA, and there's very little pressure in it this time of year, but the pumpkins have it absolutely surrounded. It's only 400 or so acres.

Good luck Marty!

130woodman 12-03-2008 07:55 PM

Fran how was camp? Your Dad get anything.

DanII how's the hunting?

Marty it's December your time to shine.

We are rocking this thing and the goal of 900" is in reach so keep at at.

Watch out for these kind of trees;)

NY/Al 12-04-2008 01:22 PM

LMAO Dan thats awesome!

Anyways, not much going on for me now, bow/muz opens back up on monday so i'll be able to go out there and look for a doe or two, I should have some success, hopefully. Other than that just been cramming for finals week, it blows.

Good luck to all hunting. Lets get a few more inches!:)

NY/Al 12-07-2008 04:16 PM

Where ya'll at?

130woodman 12-07-2008 04:46 PM

I've been hanging out at home it's been cold and windy and I haven't felt like hunting but next weekend I'm out doe hunting.

Fran texted me last week he had a good time gun hunting but he's been busy.

That is all I know I'm just waiting for Marty,Dan and AD to post ther bucks.

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Where ya'll at?

NY/Al 12-07-2008 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I've been hanging out at home it's been cold and windy and I haven't felt like hunting but next weekend I'm out doe hunting.

Fran texted me last week he had a good time gun hunting but he's been busy.

That is all I know I'm just waiting for Marty,Dan and AD to post ther bucks.

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Where ya'll at?

Im going doe hunting in the morning. If I can get my ass out there. As of right now its 3 degrees, and falling [8D]. I would REALLY like to whack one with the recurve, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Keep the foot on the pedal men.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-07-2008 09:15 PM

I've been out a few times but haven't seen much. Am already starting to do some research and stuff for next year. A bowhunting addition is a crazy thing :D

Looks like next year I'm going to be a pro-staffer, so I'm pumped about that! I don't think things aren't technically all finialized yet, so I don't want to jinx it...

NY/Al 12-08-2008 06:41 AM

Who are you pro-staffin for Jason?

mcouey 12-08-2008 08:09 AM

I didn't get to bowhunt this weekend. Friday morning I closed a door behind me and my right shoulder popped loudly and started really hurting. Saturday it was sore and weak, I couldn't pull my bow without pain, so I took the weekend off. I did take to kids gun hunting and we saw a bunch of does, but they wanted to wait for a buck. Luck wasn't with them this saturday, but they still had fun.

My shoulder feels much better today, so when I get home I'm going to give my bow a pull and see how it feels. I really need it to get right and fast, the late Archery Only season opens on the 15th.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-08-2008 08:14 AM

Al, I sent you a PM… Call me superstitious, but I’m waiting until things are fully finalized before openly making the official announcement… ;)

130woodman 12-08-2008 12:13 PM

Jason your killing me....:DGood luck I hope you get it, Free product for your teammates;)just kidding

Marty buddy good to hear from ya to bad about the shoulder that had to be smarts. Keep at it. When did you shoot yours last year? I could look it up but I'm lazy.:D

Mike I'm heading out thursday or friday afternoon to go scout and hunt the new property. It's the 4 day shoot the does until there's nothing left weekend. So it works for you come on up?

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

[align=left]Al, I sent you a PM… Call me superstitious, but I’m waiting until things are fully finalized before openly making the official announcement… ;)[/align]

mcouey 12-09-2008 08:42 AM

It was after Christmas and maybe in early Jan. This year I have until 11 Jan to get mine down, and my shoulder feels better today. I think this weekend I will be pretty good.

NY/Al 12-09-2008 11:27 AM

Go get em man! The season is still young for you!

SouthDakotaHunter 12-10-2008 08:43 AM

Good luck Marty, keep us posted!! It's just a matter of time until you put one down, I have faith in you buddy :D

I just got a different sight to play around with. It's a G5 Optix XR. Looks sweet, can't wait to get it mounted on a bow and all dialed in!

quiksilver 12-10-2008 07:32 PM

Whatzup boys! Haven't been online in a while (living at work).

Deer camp was a blast. I got to escape reality for a few days and share a handful of brewskies with the boys. Good times. I hunted my ass off and only saw 8 deer. The deer herd was spread pretty thin, so I never pulled the trigger on a doe. I saw two bucks, both legal. Our camp ended up dragging out 3 bucks, a 4x4, a 3x3 and a spiker for our youth hunter. Good times.

I won 14 dollars at poker, but had to give it all back once they figured out I was cheating. LMAO I took a few pics, but I'm too lazy to upload them from my digital camera. I will get around to that soon.

Good to see that everyone is doing well . . . all fattened-up from Thanksgiving.

Saturday is the last day of gun season here, so things are really winding down. I'm going out to push deer for my homeboy. Hopefully he can close the deal. I'll have the camera with me, so if there's any killing getting done, you guys will get some nice pictures.

Marty - keep that shoulder active. We're gonna need you back at 100 percent next year.

So what's Santa bringing all you guys?

I bought myself a $300 Dream Season jacketbackon Halloween- a "Christmas" present to myself. But, being the cheapass that I am, I already wore it for the whole bow season, killed my Ohio buck with it,andreturned it this weekendbecause it "didn't fit right" and "wasn't really that warm." God bless Cabelas and their return policy. Now I havea $300 gift card waiting for next fall. LMAO Low. I know.

I'm thinking about selling the gift card on Ebay and using the money on a Russian Bride. We'll see....

Y'all should give me a call sometime. I usually leave work around 7-8 (eastern) on weekdays. I like talking to you boys. We really need to all get together.

It's almost shed season! I've got about a million areas that I'm hell bent on checking out. Tick. Tick. Tick.

130woodman 12-12-2008 09:03 AM

I went out this morning to the new property by my house. It was 3 degrees with a wind chill of -10. I bumped 2 deer walking in and that was it for me. It was more of a scouting mission than hunting,I left my truck at first light. I found the stands my cousin hung and I'll be ready to rock in the morning. It's a doe only hunt with the boom boom stick but I'll get a buck tag good for the rest of the season and for next year.

It's a good chunck of land,It has an oak ridge that goes down into a cedar swamp. It's bordered by 120 acres to the west that is not hunted (against the law to hunt there) to the South is private to the North and Eat is crop fields. (picked Corn) I hunted the south east side this morning it seems they bed on the edge of the swamp.Saturday afternoon I'll head to the northeat and hunt the corner by the fields.

There is some good sign I found a rub on a 8" cedar tree. Lots of fresh tracks. My plan is if my property doesn't look promising next year I'll hunt this. It's probably my best chance of scoring a buck over 150".

NY/Al 12-12-2008 01:18 PM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3233172

Check out my latest![8D]

quiksilver 12-13-2008 02:34 PM

Boomstick? Did somebody say Boomstick?

The first set of pics are from Deer Camp. My cousin bagged the 4x4, and the spiker was shot by a kid that my aunt used to babysit. He's all grown-up now (15) and expressed an interest in deer hunting. He asked my dad to take him out. My dad loves kids, so he guided him into a spike buck at first light on opening day. We got a six pointer on the last day, but I didn't get a pic.

I think my dad was more excited than the boy about the spike. LOL

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

These are from today, when I wasbraving the coldwith the .300, looking to bring the rain andfill a doe tag.

Cold as balls

Foot Mittens - better than sliced bread

Boom goes the bomstick

Happy Meal

Freakin' Awesome.

I had fun today. It was nice to point-and-click. So easy with the gun though. Nice place to visit, wouldn't wanna live there. Bring on bow season, 2009. I'm ready.

130woodman 12-13-2008 05:47 PM

Good job Fran nice pics. I don't know if you ever got the picture in the text I tried like 3 times and my phone was acting stupid.

It was a Doe only gun hunt this weekend so I went out to the new property and checked it out. My buddy told me where his stand was as I headed out to it I walked past it 3 times before I found it. By that time it was getting light so I climbed up and with in 5 minutes I had a 140+ walk right under the stand [:@](doe only). That was it for the morning I got out of the stand and looked at the rest of the property. I found a spot for the afternoon. We had 30 MPH wind and light rain. As I sat there I thought this is stupid but with in 1/2 an hour Hear comes a doe. Sorry about the Pic I shot her in the head with a 7mm it was almost gone.

Almost forgot I hate dragging. At my place I have ATV's so no dragging for me but today sucked.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-14-2008 11:56 AM

Nice pics guys! Boy, it does look cold Fran!!

As a side note... In addition to having the Primos blind named after us, I see they are offering a finish option on The Truth 2 this year. They are calling it "Dark Horse"......

mcouey 12-14-2008 01:18 PM

Guys, I can't believe what happened to me yesterday. After several scouting trips to the archery only public land near me I had finally decided where my setup should be and the best route to take in for Saturday afternoon. Due to wind and parking restrictions my walk was going to be about 1 mile, but I figured that I knew where the buck who's sign I located was going to be, if he hasn't been killed yet.

So Saturday afternoon I park get my gear and off I go. About halfway there, I hear a deer hauling tail through the brush right toward me. I kneel down and knock an arrow. Well then I see what's making all the ruckus. It's a mature 10 point buck, and he's about 20 feet away from me trying to run backwards braking because he's seen me. When he finally stops, he's about 10 feet away, but he doesn't take the time to stare, he bolts on down the draw away from me. By the time I get turned in his direction to draw he's already at 40 yards and having nothing to do with the bleats I'm mouthing at him.

Oh well, I didn't get him. On the bright side I know he's there, and he's a real good buck. I'm sure he was running because another hunter, NOT using the wind walked in on his bedding area and spooked him out, but maybe the other guy didn't get a look at this bruiser, and will just think he jumped a doe. I don't know how to play this now, I doubt that he'll keep using this same area too much after being run out like that. So any advice is welcome. I have to say with 25 days left in my season and this whole week being archery only, I have to give myself some fairly good odds at getting another shot at this buck. And the next time will be on my terms if I can help it at all. LOL.

dukemichaels 12-14-2008 05:27 PM

Marty... sounds like you were close bud. You'll get one.. I'm sure of it.;)

Gents.. I am taking a much needed and LONG step back from HNI til whenever I feel the need to return. I will be back of course by next season to help defend the dynasty that we've created.. one more buck will seal the deal.

Too much popular contests for me. LOL! Way past an annoying level.

When I return I will likely be under a different user name.. at which time I will inform the peeps behind the scenes.. since I know them personally.:D I will let you all in on the name change too.

To reach me either check out www.bowhunting.com and PM me there. Or email me at anytime.. [email protected]

Dano.. we will do our scouting still soon. Email or call when you're ready after the holidays.

And some others have my number.. feel free to call.

We got this in the bag boys. Good luck to you all who still hunt. One more and we'll seal the fate for sure.:)

NY/Al 12-14-2008 05:30 PM

Have a good break Mike! Your advise has been incredibly valuable over the last few seasons, keep it real.

quiksilver 12-16-2008 07:07 PM

Mike - U got my number buddy. Ring my phone sometime. Or I'll ring yours... You're a hell of a guy- I don't wanna lose touch.

Al - any tags left, buddy? I have a single doe tag remaining, but not sure if i'll bother with it. Maybe attempt a recurve hunt before i start shed hunting.

Marty - You are showing some real determination - still grinding away at it, even this late in the game. I tip my hat bro. Proud to have you as a teammate. Eventually, your hard work will pay off. Bank on it.

NY/Al 12-16-2008 07:40 PM

Well as I watched the sun set from class I realized that that was it for our deer season here in NY. I only ended up eatting one doe tag, so thats not bad. Pretty damn good year for me though! Im going out tomorrow to start scouting for next year!:D[8D]

130woodman 12-17-2008 05:48 PM

Since I got my buck tag I haven't had time to get out work is going nuts right now and snow is in the forecast every other day this week. 8 to 12" on thursday night to Friday morning. I might try and head out an Sunday with the bow. There is another special gun hunt Dec 24 to Jan 4th I might only be able to get out twice for that. I want to go Christmas afternoon but the wife might get PO'ed.

Come Jan 4th WI season comes to an end. Then I'll take a month or so off and start shed hunting.

quiksilver 12-17-2008 07:33 PM

Danno - good luck with that buck tag. If you don't fill it, it carries over, right? Are you and Jason still running trail cams up at your cabin? Any bucks make it through? I'll give you a call one night in the next week or so.

Al - you had a hell of a season bro. Hats off to you. Maybe next fall, you can clear you calendar and come down to hunt Ohio with Danno and I. Maybe we can even drag Mike out of the cage forthe weekend, too. I'm starting to locate and prep the stand sites as soon as I start shed hunting next month. I'm 100 percent focused on what I need to do on my end.

I plan on being an angel for the next month - scoring some brownie points to open up some"Me Time"in Jan-April.

The longer I hunt, the more I believe that you really can dial in on a buck in February, then go back in there 8 months later and get in the action. One and done.

I am counting the days to October, '09.

NY/Al 12-17-2008 08:35 PM

Fran im hoping my college scedule is a lot like this year, and my personal scedule is a lot more clear than this year, next year. Then I know that I would be able to make it down there for a weekend.

Took down all my stands today, and what do you know, pull the 4 wheeler into the woods then I see a small 4 pt, a doe, then an out and out smasher! 20 inches inside and 8-9in tines. Atleast an8 maybe a ten. Im only hoping that he will make it till next year, no clue where he came from, but if hes there now theres a good chance that this is his range. I can only hope! Me and my buddy back tracked to his bedding area so we will be in there looking for sheds in a month or so. Id kiss your ass is he wont go over 140 next year![8D]

SouthDakotaHunter 12-17-2008 09:32 PM

Cool story Marty! Keep at it!

130woodman 12-18-2008 05:18 PM

The buck tag carries over to next year so I'm not sweating getting 1 but there's a 10 point out there that's topping 150" so I have to try. Jason has 2 cameras out they are close to his house so he can hunt those stans when he gets home from work. There is 2 good bucks that come in almost everynight. The 9 point that busted me early in the season and a small 8,he only wants the 9. Give me a call whenever you get time I'll be around.

Al it would be cool if you made it to Ohio next year it's a blast. I'll be sure to kidnap Mike on the way.

Marty I'm pulling for you. Good luck on getting that buck.

Dan Haven't heard much what's new?

AD How's it going with you.

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Danno - good luck with that buck tag. If you don't fill it, it carries over, right? Are you and Jason still running trail cams up at your cabin? Any bucks make it through? I'll give you a call one night in the next week or so.

NY/Al 12-22-2008 06:50 AM

I'll be outta here for a few days, Happy Holidays to all of ya!

130woodman 12-22-2008 05:56 PM

My buddy shot abuck last night on my property. There is some history with this buck,It's the buck that busted me the night before I shot mine. I passed on him the second weekend of gun season. So on to the kill My neighbor spent the last 3 weeks trying to get him to come in durning daylight. Everyday he went out the buck came in 30 minutes after dark and everyday he didn't go the buck would be there before dark. Last night with the temps at -5 and the wind chill at -30 to -40 he walked in over 3/4's of a mile and slid into the stand without making a noise. and sure enough he came in 20 minutes left. He made a great shot and found him within 80 yards. He run right back to his bed.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-23-2008 11:05 AM

Dan,

That's a great looking deer your buddy took! It even looks cold in the pic :D

quiksilver 12-24-2008 05:32 AM

Merry Christmas boys!

Jason, this will be a special one for you, with your little girl. Enjoy it bro.

Al - go chase some tail and get yourself a "christmas present." You only live once. LOL

Danno - tell J that I said congrats. He definitely deserves it. It was cold as balls. I couldn't imagine bowhunting in that kind of weather. Good grief. I bet he was happier than a pig in new mud!

Mike, Marty, Daniel, Dave, AD, Tim, Jason, Al, Danny- you boys all have a great holiday. Have a drink to salute another great, safe season. Most importantly, toast yourselves to great friends and great family. My hat's off to all you guys. Take this time to reflect on things.

Once the holidays are over, we'll all get our heads screwed back on, and start strategerizing to do this again next season. We are the champions . . . and we will be the champions again next year. I guarantee it.

130woodman 12-24-2008 07:24 PM

Here's a pic of my mount from my 2008 buck.

BlueRanger1 12-26-2008 08:33 AM

Hey Guys i just got my 8pt back from gun season.He's not bad for
Public land around here in arkansas.

NY/Al 12-27-2008 07:45 PM

Hope everyone had a nice christmas! As for me I got one nice little gift, his name is duke, and before you know it, he'll be hauling in waterfowl for me by the dozen.

Right now hes just a little runt, but he parents were both 90#ers, so he should grow up fast.

In other news, went out snowmobiling the other night and seen one more nice buck, 9pt about 110". I was surprised becuase ive never seen him before, but hes was in an area that im always hunting. Hopefully he makes it to next year because he will be a bruiser for sure.

Treated myself to some new boots as well. Danner hunt gtx or something like that. I'll be field testing them tomorrow in the rain, ive never used anything but rubber boots, so we'll see what this goretex is made of...

130woodman 12-28-2008 05:20 PM

Nice looking pup Al.

Well my season came to an end today. 1 deer sighting a doe and a lesson reminder. The doe crossed the creek about 80 yards in front of me and hit my boot tracks she snorted turned and ran towards me. She then jumped the creek again and stood there for 10 minutes at 20 yards. The only thing I can figure is my boots stunk. she wouldn't cross my tracks. They were sitting in my truck and I forgot to spray them down. At least it wasn't a huge buck.

There is nothing left to do but start shed hunting in a couple of weeks.

dbleyepatches 12-31-2008 07:44 AM

Well my season ends tonight and I won't be hunting since I have to work(I guess I'll be drunk hunting with New Years).It is going to be tag soup for me this year and I am sorry I couldn't contribute to the team. Late season hunting was tough with the weather being so crazy. After hunting the first 60 hours and only seeing a spike and a doe, I think that is a clear sign to find some better ground to hunt. I have some good leads out and I am going to make that my focus for the 2009 season.

Congrats to all of you who made this a smoking hot team again in 2008! It has been a fun ride!

SouthDakotaHunter 12-31-2008 03:28 PM

Great looking addition Al!!! Cute pup!

I feel the same way Daniel. If I've learned one lesson from this year, is that I need a few more spots in my home area....