HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-deer-bowhunting-contest-97/)
-   -   Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-deer-bowhunting-contest/258923-official-team-dark-horses-thread-returning-champs-13-a.html)

NY/Al 11-17-2008 07:53 PM

RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Nope, no pet beetles.....yet...

Im a boiler right now, like yourself.

16 point 11-17-2008 10:44 PM

Fran-Awesome buck and great story...Congrats you deserve it.

Icame up witha score of144 5/8 for my buck with a busted G4 on the left side.

I thought I'd share a few pics from when I was in KS. The first isone of my stands that I have. I've killed 3 bucks out of this tree, including this years buck. It's in a perfect funnel but trees are at a premium around there so it may not look like much. It was extremely windy this year and this is 1 tree you don't want to be in when it's really windy, so I couldn't hunt it the first 5 days.

I also took a couple of trail cams with me and gotten alot of pictures. This one is one of my favorites. The rut seemed like it was going really strong starting about Nov. 5, which seemed a little early. We were seeing alot of buckssingled out with does but no real monsters. The buck I shot (Nov. 8) was with a doe and he was fighting off a couple of smaller bucks when she led him past me. But you can tell they were breeding by Nov. 9.

130woodman 11-18-2008 06:56 AM

Saturday is Gun opener. I have 1 buck tag and 2 doe.

Tim great pics that buck mounting is a rare trail cam photo.

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Hey Danno, when is your gun season? U have any tags left for that?

NY/Al 11-18-2008 12:02 PM

Any word on mcouey, AD, or Dan 2?? Hope they are getting close to some bruisers!

130woodman 11-18-2008 01:01 PM

Dan 2 is in gun season. Marty better be in the woods:DAD Haven't heard so hard to tell.

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Any word on mcouey, AD, or Dan 2?? Hope they are getting close to some bruisers!

mcouey 11-18-2008 01:06 PM

Hey, I reported in on a Veterans Day doe I killed. I've been in the stand one time since then, got skunked. My neighbor told me someone was shooting full-auto weapons last week between 9-10PM, sounded to him like they were in the woods where I hunt. I looked around there but didn't see anything that would prove that, but I didn't see a single deer, where I've been seeing 8-9 does and a spike roaming through consistently.

I'm taking Friday off and plan to hunt the morning on some public land near me. Therifle opener is saturday, but this area is archery only, so if it looks promising I'll seek refuge there when the pumpkins are out. It should be pretty good if it's the only place in the county firearms aren't going off. Dontcha think?

I'm hunting in West TN Thurs-Sunday Thanksgiving weekend, and should see some action there, the rut is imminent here in TN. I plan to be in the stand as much as possible.

SouthDakotaHunter 11-18-2008 01:29 PM

Good luck Marty! Yeah, archery only area's can be a pretty sweet gig, if you can be lucky enough to be close to one....

We're doing VERY well so far, but there are still some pretty active teams out there. I think we would be in pretty good shape if we could even just get one more buck down.....

SouthDakotaHunter 11-18-2008 02:04 PM

I did post a short write up on my buck..... Enjoy....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3179138

130woodman 11-18-2008 07:48 PM

Not bow hunting but I was going through some of my pics and came up with a couple from Glacier. My daughter and I with a big horn.

The next 1 is me standing on an edge of a cliff looking out on a lake.

mcouey 11-19-2008 05:04 AM

I noticed that the scorecard has been updated, and Team DH is putting the SMACKDOWN on it. There's still lots of time for others to catch up, but I have to say that our little group of killers (you know who you are ;) ) has absolutely demoralized much of the pack and set Team DH up to be the Alpha dogs!

Great job guys! I'm trying my best. How humiliating would it be for the rest of the field if we come in over 1000 inches?

130woodman 11-19-2008 06:55 AM

Marty you brought in the victory last year. I expect the same thing might happen this year. Push us over the 900" mark.

DanII I know you said it was gun season but How much time do you get in the late season?

I'll be bringing out the smoke pole this weekend. Not my favorite time to hunt but it's still hunting and I get my dad out in the woods. It's going to be cold so he said he might hunt the back porch over the oat field.What a wuss. I have5 guy's my wife and myself hunting so we'll see what happens but this is the last year I'm hosting It's to much BS and I don't enjoy it anymore.I have 1 more day of bow season (Thursday) so I'm going to try 1 more time at that buck I saw on Sunday.

NY/Al 11-19-2008 08:33 PM

Alright boys, your battin clean-up! All I want is 2 more buck on the ground, one 150, and one around 100![8D] Keep at it, cant take our foots off the gas!

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER 11-20-2008 07:13 AM

your kicking Ass and taking no prisoners, you guys need to slow down.

Keep up the good work on the Bucks dropping!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

fingerz42 11-20-2008 07:34 AM

I see you guys are the "returning champs"...Did you get to keep the same team from last year? Shouldnt the team be different since its a random draw?

130woodman 11-20-2008 08:44 AM

They keep the champs together until we loose the title. Just the way they set it up. Other teams need something to shoot for and it gives everybody a chance to smack talk.:D

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

I see you guys are the "returning champs"...Did you get to keep the same team from last year? Shouldnt the team be different since its a random draw?

fingerz42 11-20-2008 02:16 PM

ohhhhh OK, I get ya. Seems cool. But its obvious this team has true hunters. (Not all of us have teams who actually care) :D

quiksilver 11-20-2008 07:25 PM

Marty - I think you're about to lay the hammer down on a buck. I really believe that. I'm calling your shot. You're next.

Danno - will you be making it out to Ohio for gun season? Let me know if you are. I'll give you some areas to scope out.

Duke - any more deer tags for you?

As for me, I have a doe tag that I saved for gun season. So that will give me something to do. I'll lug the Weatherby around and see if I can see one close to the camp. If not, maybe I can lay out a coyote or two again. More likely, I'll eat that doe tag and try to get one with the recurve in the late archery season. Al - if you wanna come down for deer camp, just let me know. PA nonres tags are $101.00. I just checked on their site. In 2 days of hunting, I'd give you a 40% chance of filling it with a legal buck. We'll be in Warren County, so that's not a bad drive for you at all. All you'll need to bring with you is a case of beer and $10 in change for playing cards.

Daniel - u been out lately? Any word on that big buck that you ran into earlier this season?

dbleyepatches 11-23-2008 03:50 AM

Sorry I haven't been checking in lately guys. My wife got into a pretty bad accident and totalled our car with both of our girls in it. Everyone is doing well and were just really sore for a few days. She lost control on some terrible washboard and went off of a 10' embankment. I've been busy trying to find something else for her to drive without paying out the nose for it.

Bow season is still closed with rifle season being open until monday. I am planning on hitting it hard once rifle closes. Some dumb ass trespassed onto our land in the middle of the night and shot the only nice buck that I know about on tuesday. I found him when I was checking traps this morning all bloated and nasty. I took the antlers for rattling but this is not exactly how I planned on getting him. Nota huge deer, just a really niceand symetrical. Probably would have scored 110-120. He was seen the last 3 days of his life in the exact same spot at sun rise walking down the exact same trail. I think I would have had a decent chance at him on monday but I guess that is how it goes

Jason- I have until December 31 to arrow a buck so don't give up on me quite yet! I am going to try hard up until the last day if necessary. My standards are getting lower and lower by the minute.

Fran- The buck I shot has not been seen since. The land owner, his wife, and his son hunt the land and they didn't see him. Man I hope he made it.

SouthDakotaHunter 11-23-2008 11:31 AM

Daniel, Sorry to hear about the car accident. Thank goodness everyone is doing OK!!

Sounds like your busy and have a plan down in NE for late season, but if you need a break from NEB and have the extra cash for a SD non-res tag, let me know and we can meet up for a weekend hunt.... I've got a few locations (that are a ways away from me) that are pretty good late season stands. Probably a 50%+ chance at getting a shot at a buck over the course of a weekend....

NY/Al 11-23-2008 07:44 PM

Hey guys, just getting in from an exausting weekend, had a hell of a time though. All of my buds were home from college for break so we went out and put on a few small drives with the old pumpkin' chuckers. And as usuall, im the only one who can kill anything![8D]

Wasnt really looking to fill out my buck tag on this guy, but since all the fellas were around, its always nice to get a kill down to help moral.

How about some pics.....

Started it off with a big ole coyote. 80 yards, commin at me.

Another shot of him

Did a little photo session on my way back one morning, heres the best bass pond east of the mississippi

Cool lookin road after the fresh snow

Another cool lookin photo-op

And last my buck, busted off g2 on his left, pretty cool lookin rack though

SouthDakotaHunter 11-24-2008 10:50 AM

Cool pics Al! That yote looks like he has a pretty 'full' coat already!

NY/Al 11-24-2008 12:44 PM

Yup he was all filled out for sure, been pretty darn chilly here lately, I cant blame him![8D]

dukemichaels 11-24-2008 02:27 PM

Congrats on the monster yote Al.

Gonna mount the ole boy? By mount I don't mean sex.

NY/Al 11-24-2008 06:21 PM

Yup hes a mounter for sure, will make a nice addition to my collection!

Now all I need to do is shoot mea rabbit so I can have him stalking it![8D]

dukemichaels 11-24-2008 06:24 PM

Be sure to post the mount Al. I'd like to get a mounted yote done oneday too.

Just don't know what pose yet.

Rob/PA has a great one that he posts on here occasionally if you are interested in seeing.

Congrats again.

130woodman 11-25-2008 11:26 AM

Hello boy's back from Deer hunting Gun Season here in WI as for the most part the numbers are down across the state. I saw 2 bucks and 3 does in 20+ hours of hunting and put a bullet in the head of 1 of the does. Some clown shot her leg off so I finished her. The wolves and the coyotes are pushing everything out of my area I might hunt somewhere else next weekend.

DanII Sorry to hear about the accident hope it all works out for you.

Al great pics looks like you had fun. Can't wait to see the mount.

Fran I most likely not be able to make it down there for the 2nd gun season. It's getting busy here.Holiday's suck in my world. If it wasn't for my daughter I would stay up north for the hole thing.

Every one have a great Thanksgiving and I will be around until thursday night after that back up.

quiksilver 11-25-2008 06:48 PM

Al - great pics man. Nice buck too. Whalin' em with the slugger sure isn't easy. You really have turned the corner as a big buck hunter. That's some tough country you're hunting, and you're getting it done consistently. Kudos man.

Nice yote too! Good shooting! Those mutts aren't easy to hit. They seem to never stand still, especially when the pressure is on.

Danno - Bummer on the lack of deer sightings. Things are cyclical, ya know? Hopefully next year will be better. Good thing you tagged out when you did.

Dukie - any more deer tags for you? Or any planned videotaping?

I'm putting in 60 hours at the office this week, then I'm off for 4 days - heading to deer camp. I can't wait to get up in the snowpack and put some mileage on the shoeleather express. Nothing but me and the Weatherby... I'm pretty much going to be aimlessly hiking through the mountains, b/c all I have is a doe tag - and I have no interest in shooting a doe. I'm hoping to luck into a coyote or run a big buck out to one of the guys from camp. I can move some deer when I put my mind to it. LOL I'd love to see my dad smash a nice buck. He's not a serious hunter by any stretch of the imagination, but he truly does love it when he gets one.

dukemichaels 11-25-2008 07:32 PM

Quick.. I've been video taping JZ lately. Been out only twice myself looking for a doe.

Once these gunners are done in WI.. I'll be hitting it hard for a doe there to earn a tag and seek out another buck. But with less than 4 weeks from when there gun season ends til the bow season is over.. who knows how that will pan out. And of course on public no less.

But I'll give it all during that time.

One more gents.. and we'll be the dynasty I knew we could be. Kudos to all of you.

You guys really are some fantastic deer hunters. Unbelievable.

130woodman 11-26-2008 06:16 AM

Fran you are right about it being cyclical but with the corn out I might have a chance of tagging 1 this weekend. Your dad sounds like mine he loves being out there and doesn't shoot much but when he does lock up the women and children.:D

Mike I'll see about putting you on a doe at the new land I get to hunt. My cousin took a 10 out of there last night, he thought it was bigger and 1 side was busted up but there hasn't been a doe shot out there this year. After gun season we can take a look at it.

Good luck Marty,DanII,AD

SouthDakotaHunter 11-26-2008 07:18 AM

Mike - so if you shoot a doe this year, could you in theory wait until next year to get your buck tag? Or how do they do that?

dbleyepatches 11-26-2008 10:31 AM

Next week I am going back onto the land that I shot the big buck on earlier this year. My hunting partner got permission for us to hunt for two days. This should give me the best chance of filling the buck tag so I am excited to get back onto that land. Just maybe 1000 is not out of the question!

dukemichaels 11-27-2008 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

Mike - so if you shoot a doe this year, could you in theory wait until next year to get your buck tag? Or how do they do that?
Yup.. if I take a doe this season.. I will earn my buck tag and it will carry over til next season.

Which would be awesome! Then I'd have 3 buck tags burning a hole in my pocket (next season) and I could put forth the effort to take a solid buck in September on some public ground before coming back to my home state.

Cause to be honest.. I don't put much effort into my doe hunting ever.

Dan the man.. I might try to take you up on that. We'll have to talk and see how the remainder of this season plays out. But I'd love too possibly come hunt with you. Thanks for the offer.

130woodman 11-27-2008 10:52 AM

I went through the memory card last Thursday night. I found an interesting picture and I thought my neighbor was holding out on me. After I told him what was on the card he called his buddy who checked the card when we were in Ohio. He forgot to tell us. He's a small buck and I hope he makes it through to next season because he is going to be good.

quiksilver 11-28-2008 08:37 PM

Dan, if that buck makes it through - he's gonna be really impressive next fall. Keep your cameras rollin', buddy.

Well Gents . .. I'm packed and ready for deer camp. I'm taking all my yote calling gear and hell bent on hammering another one of those filthy mongrels. I'll consider shooting a doe - especially if I cut into a bloodtrail. I'll dog 'em down and finish what somebody else started.

My bud sent me a better pic of my Ohio buck today. Not a huge deer by any stretch of the imagination, but he really made my season. I measured him at 115. He's all main beam. Inside spread didn't even hit 13". With the exception of one big 4x4, he was the nicest buck I'd seen from the stand all season. Nice deer, just not genetically programmed to score very well.

I got both of my european mounts finished and painted - and they came out GREAT! I'll snap a few pics and post them for you guys to check out. I'm always really proud of my euromounts. LOL Nobody else ever seems to give a damn, but I think they're great.

I'll also snap a few pics at deer camp for your enjoyment. Supposedly there's over 12" of snowpack. I can't wait to get out in it and start racking up some mileage.

NY/Al 11-29-2008 01:55 PM

Good luck down there Fran! Have fun trudging through that snow, theres about 2 feet now here at my place and its not showing signs of stopping, its really starting to kick my butt.

Gun season comes to an end next sunday then we have a 9 day bow/muzl, season. Ive still got 2 doe tags burning a hole in my pocket so if the opportunity arises i'd like to try to whack a doe or two with they recurve, that would really cap off an awesome season. Plus then id get to make some more jerky!:D

Keep up the good work boys, its been a hell of a season, lets put down a few more!

130woodman 11-30-2008 12:35 PM

What a differance a week makes, the corn came out last Friday and between Monday night Friday morning there was 5 differant shooter bucks on film. 4 of them I have pics of from August andone new one. I hunt Friday and Saturday and saw 4 bucks and 2 does. I had that 9 point come in that busted me in October but I thought I would let him go another year. My neighbor likes him so I'll let him get a crack at him. I just didn't want to mount him. That's him below

Fran I hope you have a good time at camp.

DanII good luck to you I hope you get on a good 1.

Marty any luck?

mcouey 12-01-2008 07:56 AM

Hunted hard in West Tennessee this weekend. Saw some real good sign, but the only buck that came by was a 4in spike. I let him walk.

I still have a late Archery Only season coming in Mid-December, plus I have yet to hunt the local WMA archery only area. I'm aiming for that this weekend. I just hope I get some free time, before dark, this week to scout it out better. I'm certain there's some good deer hiding out in that WMA, and there's very little pressure in it this time of year, but the pumpkins have it absolutely surrounded. It's only 400 or so acres.

SouthDakotaHunter 12-01-2008 09:21 PM

Good luck Marty! I would think that any bow only area could be good with gun season underway...:D

Anyone ever hunt any feral hogs? Looks like it would be a blast.....

solocamcan 12-02-2008 01:40 AM

This is like clinching a playoff spot with 6 weeks left in the season....CONGRATS on the repeat, we tried, but came up well short. But there is no shame in coming in 2nd place behind back to back champs, so I hope we can at least hold on to that spot.

NY/Al 12-02-2008 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

This is like clinching a playoff spot with 6 weeks left in the season....CONGRATS on the repeat, we tried, but came up well short. But there is no shame in coming in 2nd place behind back to back champs, so I hope we can at least hold on to that spot.
Its still far from over, but thanks for our recognition!:)

Jason, feral hogs looks like it would be a blast. I would figure them to be like shooting overgrown woodchucks, but edible Lol. I wish I had some around here for sure.