Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37) >

Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Community

Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!! READY FOR THE BIG ONE TO WALK BY!!!

THE ONE BIG BUCK WAS TAKEN BY MY NEIGHBOR 13 POINT A WEEK AGO
Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt .... great read!!! Sounds like a great time to me!!!!

Chris, send it to any of the mods and they will help you upload pic ... I'm leaving for the day

Heading out boys!! I pray all will stay safe!!!!!

1!.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Chris, send me the photo and I'll put it up for you
[email protected]

Tony, waiting for opening day report.........
Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok the bucks survived the weekend.........but this old girl didn't.
Kill #2 for the new Bowtech Admiral.
Broadhead was a Rocket 95gr "Slammerhead" 3 blade w a 1 3/4" cut just like the last doe.

The blood trail was a little bit tricky..........see if you can spot the light splatter on the corn stalks. It was like this the whole way too. Very challenging.
Look hard you'll see it.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 PM

I hate sparse blood trails.....

Matt I thought you were strictly a rage guy? COmparing the slammerheads to the rage heads, which do you like better? Have you ever hit the shoulder blade with an expandable, not the leg bones but the thin blade and how did they hold up?

Never used an expandable but these holes and blood trails sure have me second guessing myself...
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

I hate sparse blood trails.....

Matt I thought you were strictly a rage guy? COmparing the slammerheads to the rage heads, which do you like better? Have you ever hit the shoulder blade with an expandable, not the leg bones but the thin blade and how did they hold up?

Never used an expandable but these holes and blood trails sure have me second guessing myself...
I wouldn't call myself a 'Rage Guy" I've only ever shot 1 deer with one........I'm what you would call an "Overkill guy"

I like large cutting diameter heads and won't shoot anything under 1.5" in diameter unless it has 4 blades.
I bet I have killed over 30 deer now with Rocket mechanical heads alone.

Honestly in I think over 50 deer shot with a bow now I have NEVER hit a single one in the shoulder blade. I don't care about the shoulder blade, it's not blocking much of the vitals and only on a quartering to shot anyway. BOne busting means NOTHING to me in a broadhead.
I want the largest cutting diameters I can consistently drive through any size deer, and I drive these into the ground EVERY time.

If you make a bad shot on a broadside or quartering away deer or even shade off teh shoulder on a quartering to deer..........9 times out of 10 (or more) you are hitting a little too far back. Deer move forwards, not backwards.
To be brutally honest if someone is consistently hitting the shoulder blade they need to re-evaluate their shot selections and shooting ability.

I think you can tell by my own personal theory on broadheads that it works for me and the pictures do speak for themselves. Not saying it will never happen but I have yet to lose a deer in 23 years of bowhunting.

If you have the extra energy to spare, guys are cheating themselves by not shooting the biggest cut they can consistently pass through an animal with.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well..... were to start

8:50 - see my first deer .... it is on top of ridge by the edge of the field and it is startled .... from what, I don't know
9:00 - receive text from brother, "Adam hit a 6 pointer" Adam is my nephew who has gun hunted before, but decided totry bowhunting ...the kid is a sniper with a gun ..... the phrase that worried me was, "hit"
9:15 - text stating heis watching the buck who stopped 75 yards away after the shot .... my response was, "Uhoh"
9:30 - text staing they just lost sight of buck ...gonna wait till 10 to check the arra
10:00 - They got the arrow ... has an odor ... very little blood on it .... kid of slimy... I instruct all to wait to track until late afternoon
12:00 noon - Feeling guilty that I wanted to hunt my area (across the street, mile back) the whole day and not help them with the buck, I hiked back to the truck and waited with them.
1:00pm - we take off to track the buck ..... upon further inspection of the arra, the "gut" odor isn't gut odor ... they watched the buck for a half an hour after the shot....the only blood we found was in the area they saw the buck go, except for when he crawled under a fence .... very little blood in all ,,,nephew is returning tomorrow to keep searchin, but I think the buck is gonna make it ....IMO, it was a flesh wound ...all white hair ... no gut in the blood..... arrow doesnt have but a little blood on it...

3:30 - back in different stand
3:40 - Dang!! look at all these squirrels!!
5:30 - phone call from other nephew ..., "I just nailed a doe!!" I get out of my new spot (behind the house) during prime time
He hfound the arrow with the broadhead and 2" of arrow gone...I asked him what it sounded like when it hit her, he said, "CRACK"!
I told him he hit the "knuckle" in the shoulder .... we searched for her .....ZERO blood ....going back tomorrow at light to see if there is anything

So that pretty much sums up my crappy 1st ............lday

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Geez, Tony....I know your trying to be a nice guy and all but turn the dang phone off!!!!

When I hunt with partners, its just known that we will check in at set times to see if the other needs help. I've got the phone on vibrate in case of emergency but I never look at it. You owe yourself some "me" time.

Good luck to you tomorrow, and good luck looking for the deer...

Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

HEY PURPLE,

Sent you the Email, thanks I sent three photos, use what you want one, two or all three whatever works. Thanks again!!!

MATT,

Great Pics and And Great Story

Tony,

What a First Day!! Was it worth the wait!!?????? Hopefully your nephew was able to locate both or at least the Doe if you think he just nicked the buck!!!!!!!

Your Buck is still down here waiting for your arrivial!!!!!!!!! hehehehe

got to go for now
Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER

Tony,

What a First Day!! Was it worth the wait!!?????? Hopefully your nephew was able to locate both or at least the Doe if you think he just nicked the buck!!!!!!!

Your Buck is still down here waiting for your arrivial!!!!!!!!! hehehehe

got to go for now
Chris
After hours upon hours of searching, ....no deer ..... I knew the doe would be ok unless infection sets in .... upon further review on the buck, I think he will be ok, or he was pushed too early (4 hours) and he died over night. I'm going with he's gonna be ok ...we shall see ...

Quick Reply: Official Team IN GOD WE TRUST Thread (37)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.