Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11) >

Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Community

Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Default RE: Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

???
How old is everybody and how many years have you all been hunting?????

I'm 49 years old and I been hunting for about 39 years with gun and Bow.

Hatchet Jack
I'm 38. Grew up rifle hunting deer and elk with my dad and then went off to college. Never had time to hunt while trying to keep up with my schoolwork in college and then was always too busy working and raising up a family after college. A few years ago I moved from the Portland metro area to central oregon for a lifestyle change.Slower pace over here, and more familyoriented area. It's also a vacation and outdoor sports mecca, there is just tons of things to do here. I started hunting again with some friends when I moved over here and have been loving it. My buddies over here have been bowhunting for years and have really taken me under their wing and taught me a lot. I really can't imagine trying to pick up bowhunting on your own with no experience with it at all, there isjust so much to learn. This experience has brought back many great memories I had of spending time with my dad as a youngster, and I just love spending time in the woods. Whether it is scouting out a new area or setting up a new treestand, I just enjoy the hell out of it.

Last year was my first year bowhunting, andwe got into a lot of elk (4 of my buddies killed bulls!). I never got a shot opportunity last season, but the adrenaline rush from having a big ol' bull screaming at us from 50 yards away was just unbelievable. I've been counting down the days till opening weekend since last year...it's almost here!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

My name is Jared and I'll be 20 years old this October(I always hunt my birthday!) I attend Davenport University for Network Security, and am going into my second year this September. This is my 4th year hunting and in my first 3 years I have had great success. I have two does and a decent 6 point under my belt. After shooting the six point and reading alot about deer management I started to pass on the young boys in pursuit of a true mature Whitetail. I grew up in West Michigan on 30 acres of property that my Grandfather owned (he was my neighbor at the time) The property butted right up to another 80 that was owned by best friends Dad. Nobody in my family hunts not even my cousins uncles ect... It was just something I took up because I loved the outdoors and growing up I was big into dirtbikes, 3 wheelers and snowmobiling . I would always see alot of deer cruising on the trails that ran from my house to my friends. I have seen monster bucks on this property while on my dirtbike, and just last year I saw a buck that scored between 130-140 while on stand but the shot wasent right and I know there will be other days so I passed on him. I have two game cameras set up this year so Im hoping to see what kinda bucks I can get on film. My goal is to harvest a 130"+ deer and hopefully I will do it this year for the BackStrap Brigade!!

Ps: I got to eat some fresh jerky and tenderloins this year in May when I was traveling on my Honda CBR 600rr on the interstate around 10:00 PM (It was dark) and a deer jumped out in front of me. I hit the deer doing 70mph but luckily swerved at the last second only hitting above the young bucks shoulder. I broke the deers neck instantly and it didn't even make it off the highway. I didnt dump the bike and I didn't have a scratch on me, the deer barely knicked my left hand which was protected by nice racing gloves. The police officers who arrived on scene couldn't believe it after seeing the damage to my bike.

My grandpa passed away at age 77 just a few months prior to this incident and I believe he was watching over me that night because thats just crazy, it almost feels like a dream to me.

I dont drive my bike at dark much anymore ....only city driving.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm 38 aswell been hunting for 26 years never missed a year, I've only been out once so far we had sever weather warnings for here last night I'll get back out tonight suposed to be cooler.

Have any of you PA guys been to the early bird expo in bloomsburg i had a booth set up there for a few years booking whitetail hunts
Old 08-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

oakcreek do you guide the hunts?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Yes i own a outfitting buisness
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey oakcreek I been thinking of doing a elk hunt sometime. I was suspose to hunt South Dakota this year BUT!! my conection called me last week and said it might not happen[:@][][&o]So I started to think about the $ I have saved for the Dakota hunt and another year of saving $$$ I could go on a Elk hunt instead!! Whats the name of your outfitter and do you have a web site ect, Maybe shoot me a PM in my email box! You all sound like a great bunch of people and Hunters. Looks like a great team with good people. Thats whats great about this contest. The people you meet and get to talk to from other parts of the Country and Canada ect. Be Safe ALL!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH, Sparrowhawk I'M sorry about your Grandpa! I'm sure he was with you that night! Be Safe!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey OAK do you do the Harrisburg show???

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

Hey BEN/PA I have a 12'x60' trailer on 4 acres in Pike County next to the Delaware State Forest Pecks Pond. I hunt SGL 180,209,116 and the DSF. I also have permission to hunt abou 400 acres in Suskie county near Montrose PA. Both spots are Killer Turkey spots and so, so deer spots. If you do your homework you can find some nice Bucks in Pike county. The last day of archery last year I had a 130 plus 10 pt that I grunted in. He ran right under my stand and never gave me a shot[:@]That one still hurts!! Soild PA BUCK!! 130's are hard to come by in PA as you know! I was hunting Pike near Digmans Ferry near the Delaware River. I have some nice spots on state land near the river that are hard to get to but have some solid Bucks. Man the season can't get hear fast enough!!!! Be Safe!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Jack, I hunt the surround mountains of Williamsport, PA. We have 186 acres on the Huntersville side of Little Bear mountain. I have two other places that I have exculsive permission to hunt they ar 57 acres and 63 acres. They are more crop land type parcels. I also have access to a 100 acre plot that gets heavily trespassed on, but hold huge deer.[:@] I have one buck that I have seen at the cabin that might go 135-140. Other than that the best up there is a 120 or so. On the other areas there are a few 120s.

Sparrow, when's the B-Day? Mine is the 30th....and ya I always hunt it too.

Have any of you PA guys been to the early bird expo in bloomsburg i had a booth set up there for a few years booking whitetail hunts
No, when is it?

My name is........Ben I am 27 I have hunted all of my life. I spent approx 102 hours in the woods last year in archery season. That said, I ate tag soup. Not planning on doing that again. There is a fair chance that when I do kill something this year,you guys will be able to see it. I will be doing a bit of videotaping.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Ben my birthday is the 19th! Hopefully we get some big bucks for birthday presents this year( and I'm not talking about money even though I could use it!!)

Hatchet jack I appreciate your concern!! Grandpa was a good man.

oakcreek I am also interested in your guided hunts as it is something I have always wanted to do, If you could possibly give me some more information, website? post here, or if you feel like you need to pm me, please do so.

Quick Reply: Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.