Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16) >

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Community

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 16 Thread

Well, fellas, I finally got out yesterday and took a look at this new 200 +/- acre lease I just got into. I was blown away. I simply can't believe that we have that kind of a deer population that close to where I live. I'm not exaggerating when I say that everywhere there was bare dirt, there were deer tracks. We found some awesome trails. We came across one that made me ask the owner (my neighbor) if he had any livestock back there, andafter I'd asked, I remembered that it's not completely fenced (three strand barbed wire). This trail was absolutely chewed up! I found another trail that I'm going to hunt. I can walk from my house to the tree I picked out in about 10-15 minutes. This trail looks like a foot path. Also, this acreage has about 8 small soybean fields scattered through it, as well as some food plots. I am so pumped, and it's killing me that I still have a little over two and a half weeks to go.[:@]
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Sounds like a honey hole Johnny. Any plans for a trail cam??
Soy beans = big deer.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep your right on the dia. I was thinking there were a total of 6, thanks for the scoring refresher. Its not that great of a pic. but I thought more would have gave a guess

howler, that is beautiful land you were in!! congrats on your hunt. I think I would have been greatfull that I did not have to pack out the bull either. Hunting by yourself sure does change your outlook on different things.....I dont shoot does, 99 % of the time I hunt alone and its just a lot of work. I like horns to hold on to while I drag deer...LOL

ORIGINAL: LLBUX

Looks like a nice buck, but I cannot see enough to accurately guess the score.

AR34-your circumference measures are a bit off. You get 8 circumference measures. Each will be probably be 2.5-4.5. That would total about 24-30 inches on this buck. That would bring him up to about 120 based upon your other estimates.

Good luck all!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archer58

Sounds like a honey hole Johnny. Any plans for a trail cam??
Soy beans = big deer.
No, no plans to put out a camera. I have one that I put up last year, and the deer eventually stopped traveling through that area. I don't know if they frighten the deer or not, and that could probably be debated until judgement day, but I prefer to not take the chance. I can't help thinking that a big, mature, intelligent buck simply HAS to think "there's something not quite right about that tree that keeps flashing over there".
Old 09-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Howler.... if I can come up with $1500.00 and transportation, I can go with you???? God, that's some beautiful country.
I can't make any promises, BUT I would think at the very least I'd be able to point you in the right direction. At this point in time, I "think" that I have another Huntingnet member planning on coming out next year to muzzleloader hunt, in a different area, and I don't know that I am going to hunt with him, or just go along with him to help him succeed at getting his first elk. Kind of planning on taking him to the area that I used to rifle hunt, and my family still rifle hunts, as it's pretty good area too. The main reason that I don't archery hunt there is because this other spot is so much closer. SO long of it is, you get the money and I'll find the time!

And this goes for the rest of you guys, if you're serious about hunting elk in CO., I will do what I can to point you in the right direction, and if it works out, I would hunt with you guys and show you the ropes to the best of my ability.

Man LittleChief, sounds like you found yourself a little piece of heaven. We'll be expecting a score from you for sure now.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Down to less than a week here, got the bow straightened out today after a few issues and have the Muzzy zoned in. The only problem is the weather is still in the mid 80's and we just got a bunch of rain over the weekend and it has been a relatively dry summer so I expect the mosquitos to be out in full force.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

So Howler.... if I can come up with $1500.00 and transportation, I can go with you???? God, that's some beautiful country.
I can't make any promises, BUT I would think at the very least I'd be able to point you in the right direction. At this point in time, I "think" that I have another Huntingnet member planning on coming out next year to muzzleloader hunt, in a different area, and I don't know that I am going to hunt with him, or just go along with him to help him succeed at getting his first elk. Kind of planning on taking him to the area that I used to rifle hunt, and my family still rifle hunts, as it's pretty good area too. The main reason that I don't archery hunt there is because this other spot is so much closer. SO long of it is, you get the money and I'll find the time!

And this goes for the rest of you guys, if you're serious about hunting elk in CO., I will do what I can to point you in the right direction, and if it works out, I would hunt with you guys and show you the ropes to the best of my ability.

Man LittleChief, sounds like you found yourself a little piece of heaven. We'll be expecting a score from you for sure now.
There's no way I could actually make that trip, Tim. I just startedmy new job four months ago, and by the end of this deer season, I'll only have 12 days of vacation accumulated, and they're all being used for deer hunting on my spots here. That is some truly beautiful country, though. My wife and I have already decided that once the kids are grown, we're moving somewhere that looks like that. Four more years.[8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: whacker

Down to less than a week here, got the bow straightened out today after a few issues and have the Muzzy zoned in. The only problem is the weather is still in the mid 80's and we just got a bunch of rain over the weekend and it has been a relatively dry summer so I expect the mosquitos to be out in full force.
I wish I had only a week to go. 3 1/2 weeks for me.
Early season weather ALWAYS sucks. It's nice to get up a tree and relax though. I can't wait.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whacker

ENJOY! I don't mind mosquitos that much, but I truly hate chiggers. I'm still having itching problems with the last batch I got scouting three and a half weeks ago.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Well here my update:

1. Still no bow
2. got access to3 mile x 2 milepieceof land to hunt. A 159" deer was taken on this land last year. its mostly brush but there is some monsteres here.

Quick Reply: Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.