Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2) >

Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2)

Community

Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2)

Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Official Team Tree Sharks (2) Thread

Well I got to sling my first arrow of the year yesterday. I took my wife out for an evening hunt to try and get her first deer with a bow.

About 5pm a tiny little deer came in (no spots) and I told her to take the shot if she wanted. She drew her bow when the deer went behind a tree and when it came out she let it rip at about 15 yards. Well she hit high and a bit back. The deer ran off about 20 yards and stopped to see what happened. I wasn't sure how leathal her shot was so I took a quick shot as it got ready to head into some thick brush. My shot was on the money and he ran about 30 yards and piled up.

It was a fun hunt and i'm glad she got a shot at one. Hopefully next time she will calm down a bit and get a little better shot placement.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Congrats to both you and your wife Lefty! I'm sure you know this but getting her shooting lots of 3d's and just being around deer as much as possible will help. Most of all, keep it positive!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM

She statrted last year and had some close calls but didn't get a chance to loose an arrow. She gets out and shoots with me a lot but it's hard to simulate the moment of truth when your heart is beating out of your chest.

She did a lot of things right the other nightshe got drawn and the deer never knew she was there. Last year she got picked off afew timesmoving when she shouldn't have. We had a good dicussion about the hunt and what went well and how to relax and make the shot. She is making good progress and I am really glad to have the new hunting partner. We have a lot of fun andit's a good activity we can share. She got bit by the archery bug, she can't wait to get back out in the stand later this week.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It took me a while to flip the switch from "very excited person" to "Cool hand Luke" when a deer is standing in front of you. Still hard at times.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome, wish your wife a congrats and way to go on the assist! Glad to see everyone doing well!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to both you and your wife Lefty!
Same here buddy. Nice job to both of you.

On a sadder note gentleman I have a bit of bad news to relate. I was unfortunate enough to break a bone in my right foot this past weekend. I head in for surgery tomorrow. It was either that or 2-6 months in a cast.

I still plan on hobbling out Saturday morning for our early doe season opener but my "heading out" will only be about 60 yards from the vehicle. I always pride myself on finding the hardest to reach spots to put my stands/blinds in. It looks like I won't be hunting any of them until early the November if I am lucky. Sorry to let you guys down a bit but wish me luck when I do get out.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Frank, sorry to hear that. I know from 2 back surgeries that it's always better to take care of a problem ASAP instead of waiting. November is rut time so if you are back by then all is good. Take care of yourself and good luck with the surgery.

how did you break the bone?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hiking on the Applachian trail two weekends ago I must have caused a stress fracture in my foot. It didn't feel that painful so I didn't pay it much attention. This past weekend the dog got out of the back fence and I was forced to chase it down. I was barefoot at the time as I was trying to give him a bath. Running barefoot on a sidewalk with a stress fracture isn't a good idea.

....and down I went.

Still, I will remain hopeful.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Man, seems like it's always something simple that gets you. You survive days on deck running 50# blocks of frozen bait through a chopper and cut your finger in the galley making a sandwich. At least you didn't fall out of a tree! Take it easy now and be ready for November. And stay vigilant in the backyard... you never know when lady luck may pay you a visit.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best wishes to a speedy recovery!!!

Quick Reply: Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.