Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 15 Thread

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

Matt--did you get the PM I sent you?
Yeah just receieved it today. I'll try to get something worked up for you tonight. Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. You're the Bonetech commanders, right?

Matt- Thanks for doing the avatar. It looks great. And speaking of corn, how are the crops up your way in PA? Here in MO, the flooding
preventeda lot of our crops from going in. On three ofthe farms we werent able to get any corn in at all. We finally got milo in on one of them
and just planted winter wheat on the other. One is still under water
No problem! The corn here is doing excellent. We had a great summer for growing corn. Very hot days, with plenty of rainfall. Not good weather for making hay, but the corn did well. It's just now starting to get pretty dry here and it's beginning to curl, but they're all so far along now, it's too late for them to be badly affected. Last year the corn was horrible, so it's good to have a good follow up year.

Sorry to hear about your situation out there. Floods will certainly do you in, and it makes the already tough farming job even tougher. Hopefully next year, you will have a rebound like we did. Good luck to you, bud.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

like the new avatar so guys went up to the feilds i hunt drove around last night seen a few does no bucks well my buddie that dotn hunt calls me and says holy **** get up here i go and man this deer was a solid 14pnt probley 160''or so a complete cow i think he is a big ten i saw last year at abotu 130'' is it possiable for them to jump that much in antler size? im gunna try and get pics tonight ill go up and see if i see anything
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season starts Sept 22nd, but my wife gets to hunt 1st. If she doesn't have any luck in September, then I'll be hunting once October rolls around.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

drhntr....the corn in PA was looking pretty awesome....till we hit this "drought" its still decint...but my farmer buddy says we needed rain the last couple weeks to produce more....

Captains log...8/26/08 L O N G

today i bought my books and parking permit etc on campus and headed north to my state game lands i hunt from school.

little history....i been hunting that SGL since i was 12...mainly rifle and turkey and small game seasons...used to see numerous BIG bucks and bucks in general yearly....rifle season dad and i were always hungry and dropped the first does we saw...only ever killed 1 1.5yo 6pt from there...used to see 20-30 deer a day easily though....then herd reduction came....

i turned 16 and dad and i lost time to hunt together so i started hunting with my buddies and hunting alone...early flintlock season i hunted up there and through the week of rifle season some...started bowhunting 3 seasons ago....the habitat changed. i couldnt find a deer to save my life. id see them when i wasnt hunting them but that wasnt doing me no good.

last bow season i tagged my buck early and went up there to "doe hunt" with no intentions of taking a doe unless i saw 30 of them...just wanted to enjoy the day...hunted an oak ridge...last place for me to bother trying up there....burned alot of shoe leather scouting and couldnt find much of nothing...but that day i saw a 1.5yo 6pt on the oak ridge and another deer...looked like a big bodied deer, and body language said BUCK! but i couldnt tell...never got a look at the head...

Todays update
today i went back there to scout...beautiful oak ridge with thicker woods prettty much surrounding it...OLD logging road running right down the middle of it...ridge runs East/West. i wanted to find trails, old rubs etc...anything that would help me figure out where to hunt...deer gotta be coming FROM the thicket TO the oaks to eat...almost to the end of the old logging road and i turned around to take a gander...there i spotted it...a FRESH start of a rubline!! 3 rubs in a row...good sized trees and tore up pretty good...bark still laying at the base of the tree and hanging there...YES!!!!

the next solid hour i spent trying to piece those rubs to the thicket or SOMEWHERE. they ran West to East...could still see where he stood! couldnt locate anymore or any REAL deer trails....so i started "thinking" like a buck and walked the edge of the thicker woods trying to find the THICKETS part....sure enough there was a REAL old logging trail going down to a bench...sun was shining on a patch of ferns...deer trail leading down to it...and sure enough a bunch of grassy circles in that patch of ferns....sure enough...deer crap in the grassy patches!!!!

i just might have pieced the puzzle together....now lets hope that i didnt spook everything by walking around aimlessly!! heres some pics for the TEAM!!

can anyone ID the green nuts?? what kinda acorns are we lookin at?? i stink at tree ID and didnt bring my tree book up with me...pretty sure theres a good bit of red oaks on the ridge...the green nuts seem to only be in the area i found the rubs...maybe a hot source right now? ideas?

first 3 pics are of the rubs...4th pic is of the bedding area(a little too close but i kinda "stumbled" into it") 5th pic is looking from the rubs down to the end of the old logging road...bed would be somewhat left and down the hill...you can kinda see how the ridge is open and the rest is thicker all around...last pic is of the nuts...

love hunting the "big woods" past years tells me there was slammers when hunting pressure was rediculous....aughta be MORE slammers now that the pressure has dropped ALOT. over 10k acres and im excited over 3 rubs and an old bed...lol

any advice?? anyone need more info to give advice?? i have no idea if thats HIS bed...alot of old rubs scattered the whole ridge...i have no idea how to go about hunting it...im going to most likely just hunt in the oaks a little close to the thicker edges and just try to locate their trails come season....start off with observation stands before i move right in close to the thicker edge..i dont know...should be a good spot ALL season....any advice would be great....i know this post is rediculously long...but id like to get it RIGHT. do my own leg work and make it all happen...a big PA public land buck with a bow! thats got a ring to it eh??

should also work out good because a West wind will be perfect and thats usually the wind we have come season

Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

forgot to mention....i got permission from a private farm to groundhog hunt! thats a foot in the door...saw about 10 groundhogs and a deer in the field....introduced myself and asked if he owned the land up on the hill and he said he did...i asked if hed let me hunt...he asked what i wanted to hunt? i said i seen a ton of groundhogs id like to hunt and maybe bowhunt in the fall...he said sure you can come hunt the groundhogs...said a couple guys stopped and asked but never came back.....seems to be about the biggest set of woods on the "block" so i'll be there next week with the groundhog rifle...after a couple visits maybe he will let me bowhunt! going to stop at other farms throughout the week...would be nice to find something close to my appartment to hunt if i am tight on time....my SGLs is a good 20 minutes away...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser, sounds like you're putting the footwork in to set yourself up with a nice one this year. For all the hard effort, I hope it pays off for you big!

Went out and shot this evening. I put my barrel back on my ST-3, and it changed my anchor a little. After some minor windage tweaking, I was driving them in at 30 and 40yds. I realized how much better I shoot with the barrel on. I'm able to really relax my release hand and use those back muscles. I shot 4 30yd groups all 2.5" and better, and I shot three 40yd groups. One at 2", one at 2.25", and one at about4" (had a flier on that one...two shafts were about an inch apart and the third...well). So all in all, I'm very happy.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Acorns are dropping big time in my neck of the woods. Corn is starting to turn brown, the cooler mornings are really getting me stirred up. Oct 4th can't get here fast enough but it looks like I'll be hunting in NC first, Sept 20th..... I'm there for nanny's but one never knows.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

its cooling down alot here gunna go chekc the feilds for deer ill let ya know!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good news. My dad was just out for a walk, and he decided to glass our food plot. He said there was a real wide 8 with his nose buried in the clover (this is about 60yds from my ladder stand). Said he was wide, but not real tall. Can't wait to get a look at him this fall (hopefully).
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are the acorns falling a little early this year?

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.