Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Stay on the hot spot Matt. Good luck.

I braved the rain this morning. all day sit, saw 4 bucks, 9 does. one of the bucks was a small racked, big bodied 2.5 yr old 8 pt. I ALMOST drilled a doe. By the time I finally made up my mind, she never gave me another shot.

Back at it in the morning, I'm excited for a first time sit in this stand. Should be good.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i got a shocker......another deerless sit up in the game lands i been hunting......cant figure it out...if i never seen tracks in the snow that day, i would gave up on it....probably the same danged deer walked in cirlces trying to find other deer to hang out with that night in the snow...it probably didnt have any luck either lol..but by the time the sun came up, it was worn out and laid down all day...i dont know what it is...today could very well be the last time i EVER deer hunt there again...seeing as how i graduate in the spring, and until they re-log the area, i dont see it being worth the drive for a deer hunt....turkey maybe...

last day saturday...no hunting tomorrow....100% chance of rain.....gusts upto 26mph...GREAT......[:'(] [:@] 6 weeks flew by huh??

DEFINENTLY working on new land late winter/early spring....i say this every year just always run outta time...i dont have a choice...either play the hit or miss game ive been, or get new land and as much of it as possible and hope for something better...just so dang hard to get permission around home..the only way ive found IN is to know people or know people that know people. mom works for some DRs...im starting there...one complains of dead deer on his fence all the time...next time he brings it up im gunna have her try to get me IN. pretty sure he got a nice hunk of land in a place most would die to hunt...i been telling her for years to try to get me in with them...i guess im gunna have to start begging lol...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted it again, tonight. 9 total (possibly 10). 1 confirmed buck, possibly two fighting right at dark. They are hitting this spot hard, but mostly shortly before dark. I'm going to be at it again tomorrow night.

Mauser, I hear you on the weather. Couldn't come at a worse time.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I drilled my 1st turkey with the bow this morning. A nice jake. A group came almost running in andat 22-25 ydsI smoked one of them. Pretty neat.Drhntr aint the only one on this team to have fun with turkeys.

I'm not sure I feel like heading out this evening. Tomorrow, pending weather, I may just take out the longbow and still hunt all day. If its too rainy, I'll take the compound.

Here's the turkey

Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats Ryan!!! i had a feeling youd score today.... was just figuring a buck! surprised you left the stand today....nothin happening in terms of deer today?? (just curious)

im pretty bummed at the forecast...i wont lie, i may not even make it out tomorrow...im watching the forecast and radar hard...besides the rain, winds are supposed to be stiff...i hope it changes...and looking at the radar, the rain might not be too bad...we'll see...

good luck guys!! tomorrow is the last day for us PA guys...i know if i dont score tomorrow, my bow probably wont see the woods again till fall...unless i get a super secret spot between now and rifle or late season...just no chance of bowhunting my regular spots in rifle or late season...ive done it for years with the rifle and flintlock...if i seen deer it was because i jumped them attempting to still hunt, or someone else jumped them and sent them past me....
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was pretty dead. I saw a nice buck as it was just getting light, then nothing buta couple fawns meandering around. Once i got down to getthe turkey, I lost any and all desire to sit for the rest of the day. But asI look out the window, I'm regretting that a little bit now. I will be out in the rain tomorrow. Not that I am expecting much. I may not even get up a tree.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

it was a beautiful evening...a littttttle warm, but beautiful out. i didnt get to hunt...

picked up the buck from last year...the mount looks AWESOME...i'll have pics tomorrow most likely...

then ran the coonhounds...couldnt pay to see a deer and we were hunting our flintlock only spots that are absolutely FULL of deer...VERY odd...wish we could bowhunt there though...woods was tore up with sign...they dont mind us flintlock hunting because they dont, and they know we usually take does anyway and they dont doe hunt...pretty much trophy hunters that "get their buck" and they are done...odd we didnt see a single deer...

about lost an eye to a thorn, drew lots of my own blood all over my body fighting the multiflora...and about rolled my ankle(about broke it 2-3yrs ago and it rolls pretttty easy)..dog pulled me and i came down wrong and i had to sit down for a couple minutes..it was close...but we had a good night..3 trees, 3 good sized coon.

dont know if i'll head out or not tomorrow...i will not risk bowhunting in a down pour or heavy rain...i just wont do it. im not a very good or expirienced tracker as it is...im not Indian...i know i cant track em with a washed out trail...

if it lets up, or is light, i have a spot i may still hunt and do some sitting on a stump i can hunt, but its a long walk through thick woods to get to the spot id wanna hunt and cant leave a stand there or access any other way so no way to stand hunt it...no matter what, id blow all the deer out just walking in...but ive seen a couple REAL nice buck in there squirrel and fall turkey hunting..and could get lucky...dad snuck in on a doe a couple weeks ago squirrel hunting...wet ground and windy, i can probably sneak back there to the crab apple and oaks and hang out and maybe get lucky...dad watched mature bucks fight there a couple times in his life...he used to bowhunt there till the field he accessed the land on was sold so now we gotta travel the woods the whole way....so maybe i'll catch a break...never know. out of anywhere i have permission to hunt, that place has the highest potential to produce BIG. just no way in and that field owner wont let up...they dont own the woods and dont bother me while im back there..killed my spring longbeard back there twice...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I changed things up and stayed on the ground still hunting and calling my way thru the woods all day long saturday. Not a LICK of any rutting chasing activity. I walked up on bucks just feeding[&:]
I saw 17 deer, only had one small doe in range for a shot and opted not to kill her. Saw 3 bucks, all small. Found more big rubs than I have ever seen on the property, I am kind of disheartened with myself for failing AGAIN to kill a maturePA buck. This was my best chance ever as we knew of 3 that were living (or spending a lot of time) on the property we hunt and I couldn't get close to any of them. In my eyes, that's pathetic.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, sorry that I couldn't come through for the team. Big surprise there I hunted hard yesterday, and saw 11, two bucks, and almost drew back on that 6 I've been seeing, but decided against it once I saw him up close, plus he wasn't turning for me. I'm a bit down about my lack of production over the years. You can get a more detailed breakdown of my issue in this thread on the main site:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3174652
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

sideways rain didnt interest me...if it wasnt pouring, it was too danged windy for me to be bowhunting...

somewhat disappointed....theres no question about it, i just need on better property...if that happens or not, we'll see. im gunna try like heck to get on some. the people i know with good private land where the ones seeing deer and seeing anything other than 1.5yo bucks. i might not be a great hunter...but im confident in my setups and tatics...i feel i did about all i could have done...just dont have the deer im looking for..(sad because it wouldnt take much for me to reach for the bow..) just some years we got them and others we dont...this year, we just didnt..i knew my honey hole was going to be sad...i know of like 10 bucks that were killed in the area last rifle season alone...plus what i dont know about.....even kids taking 1.5yo bucks that werent legal for the rest of us...

had fun this season though..seen some deer, got a shot at a turkey...cant complain...

got my buck mount back Friday...
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3172049

im very pleased with the mount...i swear he grew!

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.