Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

well, the rain cleared out for me as well...but boy it was pouring when i woke up...drug my feet a bit waitin to see what it was gunna do...watched radar etc...was still at the top of my tree settled in before 0600....took me alot longer to gear up than i thought! just been a while since i geared up, packed it all and carried it lol...

not a deer seen...sat till 1130 or so...did hear some turkeys chatting just out of sight...tons of tree rats, which make me look like im baiting lol...corn field is 100yds away or so...them danged squirrels brought tons of ears of corn into my setup and scattered them about lol....

HECK of a trail leading right though my setup into the corn....first year that field has EVER been corn...maybe its going to make my spot more of an evening spot....i dont know...

im heading to a coon hunting competition tonite..probably wont bother taking stand anywhere since i gotta leave by 7:00...got all day mon and tues to bowhunt...very few competitions locally i can take the dog to..a handful a year...so i try to make it to them when i can...

farmer started mowing hay a hair before 11 and will be mowing and raking my other field later on so im kinda outta options even if i wanted to hunt this evening
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well my season picked up right where it left off last year....in the dumper! [:@]

Sat an evening sit in Ohio on friday. No deer.

Woke to a decently hard rain saturday morning off a forecast for none. Go figure. Didn't see a deer on stand saturday. Saw 4 while leaving my morning stand. I don't think I've ever gone an opener without seeing a deer from stand. It's even worse when you think about how many deer are in my general area and I can't even manage a doe sighted.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

rybo....hang in there....saturday was slow for EVERYONE ive talked to...i really think that rain screwed us...atleast morning hunts....

back at it tomorrow for me...think im gunna hunt a corn field edge in the morning, then the honey hole in the evening...then do it backward tuesday....(really want to hunt my honey hole in the evening and really wanna hunt the corn field the next evening...but need to pick a good tree out RIGHT over the corn...so tomorrow morning im gunna head into an area real close to the corn and hunt where i know i can...then on the way out i can glass the treeline and get a good tree picked for the next evening...)

ive never hunted a corn field edge....im not sure how to got about it for a morning hunt...i do know where i can get into the woods...but id kinda like to sit right over it...but its hard to get between the bedding and field...i dont know what i'll do in the morning...probably just head to a tree i know i can hunt just off into the woods...though i know the bedding is in the other direction...still a good funnel that may produce..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Shot a nice mature doe my 3rd time out on Saturday morning. I've seen deer each time with shot opportunities each time but was waiting on a mature doe and one obliged. Not going to hunt for a few days now, have some things to do around home.

I know rising thermal currents in the early morning will take your scent away but along with my X-Scent baselayers, I've become a believer in the new Primos Silver XP scent eliminating spray so far. I had does on both sides(n and s) of me Saturday with a slight north breeze in my face with no alarms yet and the mature doe I shot was south of me.

Good luck to everyone hunting this week!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

When we see deer in the rain, it had them up and moving. When we see no deer in the rain, it kept activity down. Personally I don’t buy into either one. Rain or no rain, I expected to see deer at least some point during the day Saturday, and I didn’t.

Not sure what the week holds as far as me getting out. Going to try after work today & Wednesday, but neither time I will be on a property I have much confidence in, but it beats sitting at home playing Nintendo Wii.

CM,
Congrats on the doe, that's all I really look for this time of year.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw a total of 15 (possibly 19, but I think 4 were seen twice) and a flock of turkeys on Saturday. Was out to get one of the doe, but none of them presented a solid shot. I will be back out again tonight probably on my clover plot since we're supposed to get a good frost tonight, and I may not get to hunt it much more after that.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats coug!!

Rybo, you do have a point lol....but i'll blame anything and everything when i dont think i did anything wrong just gotta be in the right place at the right time...

matt, that sounds like a GREAT day out...thats more deer in a day than i seen my whole first season! lol...

i just got back from my morning hunt....i dont know what i was thinkin when i made my last post...made no sense to do things like that....so i hunted the honey hole this morning, will hunt the corn field for the first time this evening...honey hole tomorrow evening...not sure about tomorrow morning..maybe leave my stand over the corn field...

seen the world record button buck this morning...i started glassing him just to look at him real good...but he kept looking behind him, so i did as well hoping his grand daddy was following him...but nothing else showed...very weird how he kept looking back...too often and too long for there NOT to have been something behind him...wasnt alert at all or spooked...but kept looking back. looked like he had decint bases(not huge..but i think maybe bigger than a typical BB)...and looked like about an inch long..and i thought they were still in velvet..if i seen him in the spring i would said he was growing a rack...not sure what the deal was...young deer...coulda just been a button buck that grew a little extra....

also seen 7 turkeys...i love watching, hearing and seeing turkeys...except when im in a deer stand and its not turkey season lol...its a love hate thing...i hate it because 99% of the time they bust me...even though i freeze and hardly blink...dont know if i stand out to their superior eye sight or they see my bright fletchings or what in the world...the 7 today were the first time i DIDNT get busted!!! had one at like 6 or 7 yards with the rest well within 20....

it was great to see a deer...and loved watching the turkeys...

good luck guys!! feels great to finally be that time of year!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out for my second sit last evening, and it didn't disappoint. I sat on the northwest edge of my clover/rye plot, and by 5:30, I had 8 turkeys work their way in on the east side. There were two or three good sized toms, and a few jakes. As they fed closer to me, I hear a lot of running and crunching of leaves behind me. Then the purring and putting commenced, and I knew I was quickly being surrounded by more turkeys. 32 MORE turkeys came in all around me to feed in the plot. A few birds were as close as 5yds from the base of my ladder, and I was in the wide open, yet not a single one EVER spotted me (ASAT is ridiculous, it has proven more than effective over the past two seasons). I watched as the flock fed in front of me for about 15-25minutes. Some of the hens pecked and fought a bit. A few laid down to feed (which is interesting as I never saw this before).

Not long after they flew to roost, three nice doe appeared from the East end of the plot. They never got close enough, and as lighted faded, I made my exit, and I don't think they ever got a glimpse of me. As I was walking out, I bumped three more deer down near the pasture in above my Uncle's house.

Not shots fired yet, but I'm seeing a ton of deer.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I sat with Ben last evening and filmed him. We saw a dozen deer, and more important, a piebald. That was a great sight. He'll be filming me and we'll be sitting in my honey hole. It can happen anytime when I'm there and nothing surprises me. Good luck all.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I sat with Ben last evening and filmed him. We saw a dozen deer, and more important, a piebald. That was a great sight. He'll be filming me and we'll be sitting in my honey hole. It can happen anytime when I'm there and nothing surprises me. Good luck all.
Are you going there tonight, Rob? That brings up a question I posed on the forum today. How often do you hunt that stand? Assuming the wind is cooperating, have you hunted more than once or twice in a week? I have a stand I was planning to hunt tonight, but I hunted it Saturday evening, and I was worried it is too soon. I may have to take the climber out. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.