2007 HNI 5-Spot League Questions, comments, concerns, and trash-talk about the 2007 5-Spot league go here!

why are people obsessed with the speed of target bows?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Default why are people obsessed with the speed of target bows?

is there something i'm not getting? i just sold one on ebay (another LONG winded rant right there) and i got a question a day from someone asking how fast this bow is. why? it's a target bow. who cares how long it takes to get there as long as it goes where you aim it?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: why are people obsessed with the speed of target bows?

If the user is going to use the bow for unknown distantances in 3d a fast bow will make up some wrong yardage estimates.

But for marked distances and indoor speed is mute.

I personally prefer to shoot ASA 3d due to the fact they have a 280fps + 3% max speed which is a good leveller for those of us you have shorter draw lenghts cause those gorilla armed guys cant shoot over about 288fps without being DQ'd
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM

3D archery is a game of half inches, speed matters greatly as it pertains to arrow ballistics. The faster the arrow is the flatter the trajectory, thus making 2 or 3 yard errors in yardage judjement not as critical. Again, that half inch could mean winning and losing.

Now, for 5 spot like this and paper puching from known yardages, precisely the opposite is true. Speed matters not in the least, in fact, alot of guys shoot low poundage, heavy fat arrows to cut lines. You could shoot speed of 200 fps and it wouldn't matter in 5 spot...In fact, it would help as low speeds are more forgiving.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 AM

yeah, thats what i'm saying. this bow was set up to shoot indoor, 18m. i sold some big fat arrows with it with a back tension release and i'm getting an email a day from people asking how fast it is.