Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 45-Official Team Heart Stoppers Thread >

45-Official Team Heart Stoppers Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

45-Official Team Heart Stoppers Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45-Official Team 45 Thread

All I can say guys is the QAD Ultra with 2" Blazers
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM

I just shot on my lunch break outside the office and the wind is insane. My first group was all 10 ring but the rest were eratic. I guaged the wind right on the first group aimed slighty left and a little high. But it didnt do to much good the rest of the time. Does anybody actually like to hunt in the wind? I have hunted in all conditions but I hate when its this windy. Too much tree shakin for me. Plus I had my hardhat, safety glasses and my safety vest on. I wish I had a picture of that. HA
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: extreme1

All I can say guys is the QAD Ultra with 2" Blazers
I want to try that QAD Ultra. Been thinking about trying it on my Guardian. Right now I'm using my trusty old GFK Infinty rest and it's been good. My favorite is my Muzzy Zero Effect but it won't work on the Guardian.

SteveO, I have hunted in some conditions like that. One year in particular (I think it was 2003) I was up in my treestand when the remains of a hurricaine were moving through. I remember being up in this huge tree swaying back and forth thinking to myself what I'm going to do if a big buck steps out and this thing is rocking like an amusement park ride. I ended up not seeing any deer that day but I sure felt funny after 6 hours on stand. Driving on the way home I still had the feeling of swaying side to side.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Reminds me of sittin on the lake all day and drinking a beer. Or maybe sitting down in a centrifuge. Man Im just so excited about bowseason I cant wait though. I shoot everytime I get a chance and have to hold myself back from going and checking on my salt licks. Im going crazy[&:]. Im going to try and kill a doe opening morning for the meat. I think it will help me calm down and get back into the swing of things so Im ready when a buck shows up. Plus my freezer is dry except for some of the racks from last year. I havent taken them to the taxidermist yet. Heres the link to the deer I killed last year and I am going to have mounted. I killed all these with my 270. The 5 point weighed 198 lbs. its the largest deer I have ever killed and by judging his features I think he was old 4 1/2 maybe 5 1/2. He was posturing really aggresive when he came into the field. The six point is a deer that I shouldnt have shot and wound up being diseased. It was the nastiest thing I have ever seen. A growth on his neck underneath the skin was filled with yellow fluid and he had bubbles all over his body and in the meat. And the seven point is the biggest I have killed. I thought he was an eight but it was low light and I missed a point. I had a good season and I am pleased but I wish I would have let the six and the 7 go.[&o]I guess its part of maturing as a hunter. Learn from past mistakes. This year my hunting buddy and I have set an 8 point limit. Except does. I killed 2 does last year and overall on the hunting land we took. One 8 point, Two 7 points, 3 six points, one 5 point, 5 does. That doesnt show very good management, but we are turning it around.

5 point cull buck
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/steveokanevo/?action=view&current=Buck2.jpg

6 point
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/steveokanevo/?action=view&current=6pt2.jpg

7point
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/steveokanevo/?action=view&current=IMG_0379.jpg
Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice lookin' deer SteveO.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks. The seven would have been a little bit better deer this year he might have put on 15 more inches. He only scored out 74. The five was just so huge man.....Pot belly and old features. I think it was just bad genetics. His horns kind of palmatted towards the ends. I havent had him aged but I will when I get him mounted. I seriously bet he goes 5 1/2 years. No doubt. Man I thought more people would be posting when I got home. I went and shot my bow again this time with a 75 grain rocket 3 blade bacon skinner, a 90 grain muzzy practice point, and a 75 grain field tip....and they all shot the same. I dont get it. The muzzy should have shot lower but I was drilling the 10 at 25 yds.... That kind of surprised me.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveO KanevO

I went and shot my bow again this time with a 75 grain rocket 3 blade bacon skinner, a 90 grain muzzy practice point, and a 75 grain field tip....and they all shot the same. I dont get it. The muzzy should have shot lower but I was drilling the 10 at 25 yds.... That kind of surprised me.
Do you weight your broadheads and arrows? I picked up one of those $35 scales from Cabelas and it's been great! You would be surprised at how much weight difference there is in a pack of broadheads or a dozen arrows. I have some 100gr Muzzy broadheads that weigh only 95 gr. And If you combine that with a light arrow you may not have the +15gr difference you are expecting when shooting that 90gr Muzzy broadhead. What I like to do is take a dozen arrows and a dozen tips or broadheads. Measure each one individually and write down the numbers. Then mix and match the arrows and broadheads to get all 12 close to the same total weight. Otherwise you might end up with 1 or 2 odd flyers out of the bunch if the weight difference is significant enough.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I am sick of this weather. Almost 90 degrees today with ridiculous humidity. I don't think my central air has stopped running all day. My wife and oldest son went shopping and the baby is sleeping. Goodtime to lounge on the couch and watch my recorded hunting shows! LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are a quiet bunch! I hope you're busy with hunting related stuff. [8D]

I made a change to myavatar idea. How's this?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Well I shot my BowTech a lot yesterday with my dad and uncle and it was acting up a little. Then I realized, I had been shooting my whisker biscuit with the cock-vein down so I flipped it and it was way out of wack. I took it to my local bow shop where I bought my bow and they paper-tuned and put a new peep-sight in that didn't use the rubber tubing.

I just shot the bow and it is like shooting a new bow. I changed from the WildThing stabilizer to a LimbSaver S-Coil and the new peep-sight. The bow is almost dead silent now and feels much better in my hand without that huge WildThing stabilizer. My groups are in the size of a baseball with 6 arrows at 25 yds with my Rage 2 practice tips. I'm ready!

Quick Reply: 45-Official Team Heart Stoppers Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.