HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   THE WINNERS (Team 13) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/201697-winners-team-13-a.html)

130woodman 08-14-2007 05:52 PM

RE: 13-Official Team 13 Thread

My odds are about 70% of nailing a 3 1/2 old buck. I have 5 of them on film plus 2-4 1/2olds and 1 thats 5+.[&:]

For captain does gobbler get the job? If so let him make the decision on the name, just a thought. let me know.

quiksilver 08-14-2007 06:45 PM

My odds are pretty high - close to 1/1(barring injury or disaster)- I think I'm on a 13-year or sostreak, and I've got a new bow to break in, so I'll be pulling the trigger on something... I'm on a 2-year drought of good bucks, so I'll probably be a little more selective at first. Starting to forget what it feels like to lay out a big boy.

2 years ago, I jumped the gun and shot a smallish 4x4 on opening day, so that quashed any chance at a brute. Not a bad buck, but nothing to write home about either. Last year, I just couldn't get the rubber on the road when I had my chances with the big boys. Made a bad shot on a good buck in early November, and he got away from me in the cornfield. Didn't find him until the corn was cut. Had a couple more close enounters but either the deer wouldn't cooperate or I blew them... Wound up burning my tag on a scrub 4x4 on the last weekend of the season. I shot him just to avoid a skunking, really. Last year was my worst in a long time, despite logging well over 150 hours in the trees. I'm gonna hunt my ass off this year to erase 2006 from the memory bank.

Here are some pictures of some of the bow bucks from the past... Mostly all decent deer for my area. It gets hunted to death around here.

130woodman 08-14-2007 07:48 PM

quiksilver
Those are some nice deer.Just don't put to much pressure on yourself it's supposed to be fun. In 2005 I logged in a lot of hours in a tree to always being in the wrong tree. Then in December after a fresh snow I decided to follow some trails back into the bedding area. The next thing I know I see antlers at 30 yards.After getting the whole deer into focus he was facing straight away from me so I crawled to get him in a quatering away position. I came to full draw and gave him a grunt, he stood up and I made the shot. Turns out it is my best buck. 144" I earned that one. The moral of the story sometimes when you least expect it, your dreams come true.

SouthDakotaHunter 08-14-2007 08:15 PM

I should have a pretty good chance this year. I would guess around a 60 – 70 percent chance on a 130+. I’m also pretty selective – especially early in the season. This year I decided to cut down on other hunting to focus on bowhunting during prime pre-rut and the main rut.

Last year was extremely humbling! I’ve never been so close to mature deer and been unable to close the deal. A lot of it was just plain bad luck. For example I had crawled through a picked cornfield 30 yards from a bedded 150” class buck that was bedded with a doe. As I was trying to determine the best shot angle etc. I heard a noise behind me. It was the farmer driving through the cornfield in his pickup not 50 yards behind me looking for a part that fell off a piece of his equipment. When I turned around, the deer was looking straight at me – I was busted…. Then there was a solid 125” that passed by at 20 yards and I couldn’t get my bow of the hook (that has NEVER happened before). In desperation I tried to use the hand with my release on it in an attempt to ‘push’ it off the hook – the metal on my release hit my bow and ‘clank’ – BUSTED…. I could go on all night…..

I’m going to try and put last year behind me and score big this year!!

BlueRanger1 08-14-2007 08:46 PM

Vote for 1. Group of Sleepers.
Vote Gobblegetter for Captain.

My name is David im 28 i mainly hang Vinyl Siding and Build Sun Rooms.
Just starting to build a few house's.Im my own boss so finding time to hunt/fish is not a problem.
I have been lucky as far as bowhunting goes over the
past 10 years or so i have killed a decent buck.
Last year was my first year in the contest and i killed a
decent buck but i had camera PROBLEMS![:@]

I hunt alot on a military base that's about 27,000acres BowHuntingonly
all but 4 days a year.The rest of the time i hunt the buck in my avator he's on aWMA thats right by my house.And i have several farms in IL that i can hunt any time but usually only make it up there about 2 weeks a year.

16 point 08-14-2007 08:54 PM

Wow,It looks like we have some good and dedicated hunters on this team. I've been fortunate enough to be able to hunt a great piece of property in Kansas for the past 6 years. The potential to harvest a real monster is there so I try and hold out for a 150" class or better. So, I would say my chances are about 50/50 to kill a 150 or better. And I usually have numerous chances at P&Y class deer but being selective sometimes means eating my tag too. Here are some pics of the ones I've taken on this farm so far.

mount

NY/Al 08-14-2007 08:58 PM

Well i would have to say my chances are pretty good with scoring on a nice buck this year. Ive put in a load of scouting hours and lots of trail cam pictures later ive found some nice deer. I hunt big woods bucks so a monster can come out of no wheres at anytime. Last year a guy shot a 165" buck a half mile away from one of my tree stands and i never even got a look at him. These deer just run me in circles most time!

Anyways, im a college student who works construction part time and hunts at any available opportunity which should be a lot this year, since i sceduled my classes for hunting favorable hours:D.

Furthermore.... Im torn on the team name, anything is good with me whatever you guys decide on will be fine to me.

Oh yeah, except fuzzy wuzzy bunnies, sorry quick, maybe next year;)

SouthDakotaHunter 08-14-2007 09:00 PM

Those are some absolute beasts 16 point!!!

BlueRanger1 08-14-2007 09:04 PM

16 point

WOW! Very Nice Deer!

Im Pumped I think we can WIN this thing!!!!!

NY/Al 08-14-2007 09:15 PM

Theres no doubt in my mind men, ive gotta a darn good feeling that we just might be the SLEEPERS:D