Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 5-Official Team Rut Hounds Thread >

5-Official Team Rut Hounds Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

5-Official Team Rut Hounds Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5-Official Team Rut Hounds Thread

That is how my afternoon hunt went!!!! I couldn't get down in the spot I wanted to huntwith the wind. Watched a 135 - 140 class 4pt be king on the hill with 5 does/fawns in that spot. Tried rattling, grunting and the " can "to no avail. Got the does attention but the weeny wouldn't budge !!!

Had a doe and fawn sneak behind and offer no shot.

Then if fate wasn't stabbing me in the back enough... I ran into the Big 5pt on the walk out. He was chasing a doe and and the chase took them 20 some yards from my parkedtruck and then 25 yards from me. It was too dark to shot.The kicker was I talked myself out of bailing outof my hunting spot earlyeven though it was pretty dead. Boy do I regret that!! He sure looked awesome when he skylined himself 40 yards from me and stood broadsideso pretty for 20 seconds until the chase was on again with the doe. If I had gotten back10 minutes earlier !! [:@] [&:] He is a150 class buck and the one I passed onlast year. The 4pt actually had a bigger body but both bucks were good sized.

Hopefully tomorrow goes better!!

Tim

Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow.....atleast the deer are out and about there!

better luck next time tim!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

TJF sounds like you got a couple of nice bucks to go after. i hope you have some luck with either one of them. i am from the willmar area, it is about two hours west ofminneapolis. but i shot my buck 15 miles north of breckenridge or wahpeton, but on the minnesota side.i was hunting on my father in laws land at the time.

good luck everyone
joel
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

That is how my afternoon hunt went!!!! I couldn't get down in the spot I wanted to huntwith the wind. Watched a 135 - 140 class 4pt be king on the hill with 5 does/fawns in that spot. Tried rattling, grunting and the " can "to no avail. Got the does attention but the weeny wouldn't budge !!!

Had a doe and fawn sneak behind and offer no shot.

Then if fate wasn't stabbing me in the back enough... I ran into the Big 5pt on the walk out. He was chasing a doe and and the chase took them 20 some yards from my parkedtruck and then 25 yards from me. It was too dark to shot.The kicker was I talked myself out of bailing outof my hunting spot earlyeven though it was pretty dead. Boy do I regret that!! He sure looked awesome when he skylined himself 40 yards from me and stood broadsideso pretty for 20 seconds until the chase was on again with the doe. If I had gotten back10 minutes earlier !! [:@] [&:] He is a150 class buck and the one I passed onlast year. The 4pt actually had a bigger body but both bucks were good sized.

Hopefully tomorrow goes better!!

Tim

Good luck Tim on tomorrows hunt! Sounds like your right in the middle of the action. Cold out that way? Kinda warm here. I snuck into a ground blind tonight and rattled. The only thing I saw was a cow and calf elk. No whitetails..

Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Troy

Was a perfect day as far as temps. 20 this morning and a high of low 30's. Tomorrow it warms up a bit. Mid 20's for lows and mid 40's for highs.

We are going to gang up on the two bucks in the afternoon. I will be able to get in to my spot early afternoon. Probablyhead in about 1 PM. Got a lot of crawling to do to get into the spot. After school, Tyler is going to hunt right off the road ( 50 yards ) in a cattail slough they skirt and tryto catch the big 5 after hecrosses the road. Bunch of does hanging on the north side of the road ( probably the buck's core area )that crossinto the boss's disked cornfield. I want a better look at the big 4pt and to see what else is roaming that area.

Wind is wrong for the big bodied brute in the morning. Going to hunt another area where the narrow, massive,high side 5pt calls home. Haven't been in that area at all yet. May be in for a surprise and will be interesting to see what else is running around there. Was hoping the neighbor's got there corn off as it would be a real hot spot. As of yesterday they hadn't... hopefully they made some progress today. This spot is the only major bedding area in the big chunk of acres once that corn is gone.

2.5 days tell the lead starts flying... got to get it done!!! The pressure is on!!

Tim
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

any of those bucks your speaking of....did you show me on film???
Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

The high, massive, narrow 5pt you saw. Not sure if Tyler showed youhis sheds or not from 2 years ago. They went 60 and 58. I dig a picture or two up if I can real fast. The other ones no... we didn't scout those areas this summer and don't have any sheds to them that I know of.

Tim
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

This is the 5pt from the summer before last summer

Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

another

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

his sheds from the previous year before we filmed him.

Quick Reply: 5-Official Team Rut Hounds Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.