Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!
View Poll Results: A poll
Comaraderie with my teammates
31.76%
Scoring for my team (getting "A" buck on the ground)
12.94%
Scoring if I get the RIGHT deer (will only archery hunt)
12.94%
Just for fun (but will only archery hunt)
12.94%
Just for fun....I will hunt with other weapons
12.94%
Serious about scoring....but I'll hunt with other weapons
16.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

What's it all about?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's it all about?

Ina recent discussion withscott...(buckeye)....It got me thinking.....this IS a bowhunting contest...and the objective is for everyone to put inches of antler on the ground for their team.

I just think that fact shouldn't be diminished.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whats the contest about...whats the rules...and I need everything about it!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

One point that is in that poll is like last year. When it was closing down and even one buck could have made a difference, many laid down their bows and picked up the guns when bows would have been a legal means to take a deer in said gun season.

Is that because it's more important to actually take a deer rather than possibly assisting in team spirit and scoring? It's my thought than when one enters a contest even as simple as this one, even tho the fun spirit is there, I would still want to put my all into it, like everything I do in life, I do it 100% or I don't do it.

Course I'm 3 for 3 in these things. [8D]
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Rob:

You're saying (more directly) what I was end-arounding to. I think for the guys signing up for the first time.....it's important to have a sense of commitment to the cause.

Yes....it's for fun.....but we're also keeping score.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put #3 just because that is wht fit the "best". I also like joking back and forth between teamates and between teams. That is the fun side of it. The serious side is putting as many inches on the scoreboard as you can. I will not shoot just any buck tho. Holding out for a nice one this year.

And I will only be using ARCHERY GEAR!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I put #3 just because that is wht fit the "best". I also like joking back and forth between teamates and between teams. That is the fun side of it. The serious side is putting as many inches on the scoreboard as you can. I will not shoot just any buck tho. Holding out for a nice one this year.

And I will only be using ARCHERY GEAR!
At this point I am exact same. I love chatting with my teammates, but I am after mature buck with ARCHERY GEAR!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Ina recent discussion withscott...(buckeye)....It got me thinking.....this IS a bowhunting contest...and the objective is for everyone to put inches of antler on the ground for their team.

I just think that fact shouldn't be diminished.
Agreed, I won't argue that in the least. Putting a buck on the ground w/ archery tackle is the objective, but not the point. Is it realistic to think all 400 guys are gonna put one on the ground? No, of course not. Does that mean they didn't give it their all? Again, of course not. So what are we gonna do then, limit it to the guys that are only 100% sure they ARE gonna put one on the ground? Absolutely not......So the POINT is the fun, friendships and comeraderie.

Please understand, I'm not upset at all, though as I read that post it kind of sounds like I am. But I'm not, not even close. I just feel strongly about it, and in fact if killing a buck truely is the point of this whole contest.....Rob, please remove my name from the signup....I don't want to have part in something that is soley about shooting a buck and nothing else. Though I'm sure this isn't....

Again, I'm not upset, that's just how I see it. I just didn't realize that it was taken THIS seriously.......Anyway..............
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,
While I am all for assisting my team in repeating, I am not going to change my goals and long term management plans for my farms in order to win the contest. I will do everything I can, as I do whether or not I am in a contest, to shoot a nice buck, but I am not going to shoot a 1.5 year old buck just for a 100" score.Sorry guys but that is just me.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

mobo....I don't read your replies as you being upset.

Last year was my first year in the contest. We had some teams that had guys that never participated. They didn't post on the team thread......didn't check in....didn't do anything.

I'm not trying to EXclude anyone.....just kindly asking (for the sake of the contest) that if you're going to sign up.....think about the other 9 guys on your team. I'm betting most of them are serious about their archery hunting.

Here's an example....

If I knew I was only going to hunt 4-5 times during archery season.....and then pick up the ML.......then pick up the rifle..... I wouldn't enter the contest. But that's just me.

If I knew I was only going to get to hunt <10 times....but I was going to do all my hunting via archery tackle....I probably would still enter.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

huntingson:

Jeff,
While I am all for assisting my team in repeating, I am not going to change my goals and long term management plans for my farms in order to win the contest. I will do everything I can, as I do whether or not I am in a contest, to shoot a nice buck, but I am not going to shoot a 1.5 year old buck just for a 100" score.Sorry guys but that is just me.
Which is why you and I voted No. 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.