Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread. >

38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 38 Team Offical Thread.

Pay no attention to my future brother-in-law. He likes to talk a little trash every now and then. He also enjoys taking "Texas Heart" shots and hopesto hit the femoral artery ;-)

Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happy Thanksgiving team 38 brothers!!! Hope you all had a blessed time with family. I know we did.

Earlier this afternoon while packing things up in the kitchen getting ready to head out to the relatives, I was staring at the woods as I always do (wishing I was there). Suddenly 7 deer came running out of the woods to the east, ran across the pastures and into the woods I hunt. I grabbed the binocs to take a peak and noticed they were acting like they were getting chased by a buck. I finally picked out the chaser - a small 4pt. The 4pt. and all does were running scattered and kept looking back. I thought, this 4 is not causing this much comotion with 6 mature does, where's the big buck? Couldn't find him. An hour later just as we were ready to walk out the door I took one last peak at the woods and saw the 4pt and a couple does still in the area where they had entered the woods earlier, this time a larger deer was chasing the 4 pt.The larger deerfinally stopped with his head behind some brush, of course, then moved into view to expose a fairly nice rack. Not huge, maybe 130, but at this time of year, I'd take him given the chance. Hopefully I'll see him tomorrow night.

Goes to show you, this time of year you never know. These deer were chasing around in the same general area for over an hour, in the middle of the afternoon, at temps in the 50's. Gotta love the rut.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I figure it like this fellas: If the remaining eight of us shoot a 90" buck, or four of us shoot 180" bucks, we'll pull ahead of the current leaders. Not a problem, right?

How's everyone doing, haven't heard from several of you in some time. As for me, it's slooooooow in MI do to unseasonally warm temps. Today we are on track to set a record nearing 70, then it's going to get back to normal - temps in the 30's with rain and snow for the weekend. Hopefully it won't rain Saturday and be cool enough to get em moving.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

it has been pretty slow here in MN also. i was out twice over the weekend and all i saw were two fawns. i has been record setting temps here but things have changed to day. this should increase deer activity and make it a decent weekend for hunting.

good luck
Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am just itching to get out and do some more hunting but my schedule is killing me. I haven't been able to get out since I spotted that magnificent 8 pointer about 3 weeks ago. Missouri was in the 60's and 70's up until Tuesday and now in the 20's. We are preparing to get dumped with about a foot of snow this afternoon and tonight. I told my wife I want to get out tomorrow afternoon (Friday), temps in the 20's with snow. Also hope to hunt Sunday. There will be plenty of snow for a while. I don't really like the cold, but I can't stand staying away for so long - knowing that buck might still be out there. I hope my climber will stick with ice on the trees. It's a Summit.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, I've taken a break from hunting and now getting ready to head back in the woods. We've got 18" of snow and cold temps - more snow on the way for N wiscosin. I sure like the times I've hunted the late season - its a winter wonderland. But, it's tough to sit in a stand more than a couple of hours if that. My hunting partner and I have also switched over to bait - which I'm ify about but in deeper snow and cold if sure increases your positive attitude about seeing deer. I'm looking forward to the pics of you guys and racks! Bring them on.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got back out over the weekend - only doe, no bucks.

Good news though - my son shot his second deer of the year (his first season), a nice doe. What a great way to start off hunting eh? Two deer the first year hunting. I'm proud of him and am thankful for the additional venison in my freezer.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys, had to take this one with the 12 ga. Two and a half months into the season and panic mode was officially setting in. This marks my fifth deer of the season, 3 does, one button buck and this nice 8 point. He's very symetrical and sports 5.5" and 6" brow tines. A buddy of mine who is a scorer for B&C and P&Y without putting a tapeto him, estimated him to be somewhere between 120"-126". For being so late in the season, I'll take that score anytime.

After sitting in my stand for 2.5 hours I decided to make a move to a different stand. A minute into my walk, I had a buck and a doe go running through the woods about 30 yards ahead me. I managed to get off two shots and had no clue if I hadhit him or not. Once I started tracking him, I was shocked to find a decent amount of blood along the trail. Moments later I heard what sounded like a deer that was jumped up. It was exactly that. I was able to see a big red spot on his right hind quarter and he was walking very gingerly. To make a long story short, I continued to spot and stalk him for 533 yards or .3 miles. Distances compliments of google earth (path feature). This whole hunt transpiredover a1 hour and 40 minutes time frame. My first shotwas at 9:10 andthe finishing shot was at 10:50. What a hunt! Again, sorry I didn't score anypoints for the team with the bow, but there's always next year. Good luck to everyone, and have a safe and happy holidays!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/Ohiobuck25/2006%20buck/Closeupofmonster.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/Ohiobuck25/2006%20buck/Jimbob12-16-06.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/Ohiobuck25/2006%20buck/Jimbobpetting.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j233/Ohiobuck25/2006%20buck/QuarteringMonster.jpg

Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Okay guys. I have 3 more weekends in Missouri until the season ends. Hope everyone else on the team still has some weeks to get that big buck they have been holding out for!!! This weekend is calling for 100% chance of rain. [:@] I guess I'll study the radar closely and try to get out right before the rain lets up.
I got my son his first set of broadheads for Christmas so he is really gung-ho to get out there. I'll take him out with the pop-up blind if the weather is decent - and just pray that something will come within 15 or so yards. He's shooting in my archery league this fall and his score is going up weekly. He's having no problem shooting 70 arrows on league night so I think it's time to crank up the poundage on that Darton bow he has. I think it's around 31 pounds right now.
Good luck to everyone out there. Please have a fun and safe New Year!

-still dreaming of that huge 8 pointer I saw back in November....
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Ohiobuck, I saw your shotgun buck you posted. Still a nice one for the books.
I have two weekends left and my 11 year old is dying to go out with me now that he has some broadheads to put to use. I reminded him during our archery league last night that I wasn't going to take him out until he could show me he could shoot consistantly in the 4 and 5 rings at 20 yards. His shooting improved quite a bit after that reminder!
I hope everyone else is still looking for that big buck of their dreams.

Quick Reply: 38 Team "Broadhead Brothers" Offical Thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.