Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread >

21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Default RE: 21 - Team "The DEERmenators" Official Thread

Nice doe ahunter! Our archery season ends tomorrow so unless something changes I will go home empty handed. Gonna get out tomorrow morning for one last hurrah but the deer have changed their patterns for the most part. Not seeing much through our area at all.A little snow on the ground and no food or motivation for them to come through as often as they were this fall.

Anyway, my season ends (depending on what happens tomorrow) with one missed shot on a nice fat doe and no other "ethical" shots that presented themselves other than on fawns. I'm not against taking them, just that I haven't seen many around this year and want to let them grow another year.

Strictly an archery hunter, I am shaking things up next year. Bought a traditional percussion style ML from Cabela's on Thursday of this week and going to work on readying myself for next year. Not as much of a challenge as bowhunting, but enough of a challenge nonetheless. Plus it will let me take part in some management hunts in the huge state park that adjoins our property. They don't allow archery but have one ML weekend every December.

And guys, np about the post on participation. Some guys like to share every detail. Some don't. If there is a lot of worry about people checking in more regularly, I think the mods/web site should try to do something to drive that instead of asking to name names. I'm just speaking my mind mods if you're reading. But again, I'm more than happy with this contest, web siteand especially our team. So good luck to everyone that has some hunting left and have a wonderful year to everyone!

Here is a pic of my new ML (.54 caliber Hawken). "She's a beaut Clark!"

Old 12-30-2006, 11:26 PM

Nice ML chucker. I wouldn't say that traditional muzzleloading is that much easier than archery. Your shots should be well under 100 yards and that still requires skill to get close. Plus there are a ton of other things that can go wrong when hunting with one. [&:] The muzzleloading forum on this site is great for information and there are a lot of poeple that are very helpful.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Hey thanks G2 Shooter. No, I know it probably won't be that much easier. That's why I wanted to go traditional, without going flintlock. I wanted some more challenge to it though I did consider some of the newer, easier to load, shoot, and clean MLs. I hope this will give me a better shot at a few does as well. If I would have had a ML instead of a bow during gun season, I would have had several shots at some nice does (35-50 yard range) that I wouldn't take with my bow. Also, there are some special hunts around that would be cool to participate in.

Hope everyone had a good holiday season!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, I have not taken a Buck BUT "I could have".Since Christmas I have passed (within 20 yds or less) 1 forky, 1 Big 6, 1 small 6, 1 VERY LARGE fork horn (bases as big as my wrist) & a small 3x2. This AM I had a fork horn about 20 yds & 3 does out of range (60 yds). I still have a couple days left & I did see a very respectable 10 (maybe 130-140) at about 60 yds. when I saw the Big Fork Horn next to my stand. I also saw a HUGE massive 6 point but he passed b/4 I could get ready for a shot (behind me). Anyway, it's not dull for me but the finish line is getting real close.
I went from seeing next to nothing to something each time.
Anyway, I set my sights for a biggie this year & gonna stick to it-I have been Buck Less for 3 years if I blank this year BUT not because I have not had the chance. I guess after 50 years of Bowhunting I look at it as time well spent in the woods. I am a blessed man with family & friends & great Bowhunting.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas-it's over for me. I had a great season-passed on several Bucks as I said & did give a needy family a big fat Doe.
My season isn't over though-I will be hog hunting in Ok. in June & maybe another hog trip b/4 then & maybe a Exotic trip to Texas-keeps me hunting & great fun, especially when I meet up with a few of my old Bowhunting friends on these trips.
Hope your 2007 IS GREAT. Good Bowhunting fellas.
God, Family & Bowhunting makes for a good life.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 AM

Just a quick update on my hunting. Season is over, has been over. Took a nice doe with the flintlock longrifle and that is it. Did not even see a legal buck this year hunting and that is really unusual for me. It was a thrill to hunt with the flinter though. Have more fun with that than archery.

Have a good off season.