Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread >

16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Default RE: 16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread

Great news Jerry! Glad to hear it! I have had another 'twist' (literally) to my season. I hurt my back last week. I have a landscape business and was trying to help my guys do a lot of work in a short time due to the holiday. I lifted a large tree and twisted my back,and now am the proud owner of a bulging disc! Like a dummy, I tried to climb this weekend anyway--and that was a big mistake! Got rid of the poachers and now this! A few more weeks left, so I'm not giving up! I will definitely have to go slow though!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Hi team! Sorry I havn't checked in for awhile. Our general season closed on Sunday, and I once again didn't harvest a buck with my bow. The last few days before it closed I called in 7 different bucks (all little forky's or 3's) I would have been happy to shoot any of them, but where I was calling from was thick cover and I had to bring them in way too close to get a shot, and all of them either spooked as I was about to realse or didn't offer me a good shot. Well I hope the rest of you have better luck than I did. Keep up the hard work. Sorry I couldn't help the team out. I have a late weapons restricted season that goes until Jan 15th, but all I can shoot is does. Take care, it's been fun.

Hyde
Old 12-02-2006, 03:37 AM

come on guys we can still win this thing
Old 12-02-2006, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hyde, don't feel to bad sometimes it goes that way. I don't remember hearing anything about your elk hunting. Of course I was gone a long time during that period so I may have missed it. How was elk hunting for you this year?

Yes it is still a contest and it won't be over until darkness begins to fall on the last day we can hunt. Press on team underdogs!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Hey gang! I finally got home from my mining job late yesterday (a diamond drilling project on a copper property) and have been running ever since. Now I've had a bit of time to start catching up on the news.

Actually, I just saw HYDE'S story and picture of his caribou hunt on the Regional 'West' forum (2006 Archery Caribou) - have a look; it's awesome. Good for you, HYDE.Don't fret aboutthe deer hunting and this competition thing - good fun being on this team but no life changing events are going to happen if we don't win. Heckuva hunt - nice! So 2 of our group got to go on great 'bou hunts this year and I'm jealous.

I'll be back in before long to check out the recent adventures of the rest of you. Cheers, C2
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a couple links to pictures and a blurb regarding above-mentioned job:

www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/AP06-1.html
www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/AP06-2.html

Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hi guys, I'm back from PA gun season. I got a little 7 pt at 7:12 opening morn. I'm proud of the deer after getting skunked with the gun for the last 2 years as I held out for a trophy. This year with slim pickens or should I say, slim scouting, to actuallyknow what was in the area. I didn't get to camp this year for any in depth scouting. My cousin got a nice 10 point the second day scored 116..deductions took it down to 105. Broken G2.

My Buck.. I didn't score but was probably 80's but the shot was incredible. I was in a tree stand where I could watch the top of a mountain from the 1st bench down. The deer have changed habits over the last couple years and I had to give up the valley to see the top. Anyway the first deer of the morning was a doe she came around the bench and right up the hill and paused at the top to see what was up there. Now when she is at the top she is level with me. She looks behind her..here comes deer #2 another doe..she is looking back. 80 or so yards behind her, I see movement..another deer..a buck..I have the rifle up looking at it. Now in my area in PA it has to be a six point to be legal (or at least 3 on one side) He is coming straight on I can only see the beam tip and 1st point. It's big enough he should be legal but you can't assume anything. The doe which is now level with me blows probably from my movement and takes off..as does the second doe..The buck is nervous he is gonna bolt. His head is moving looking for a direction to go..he turns his head left..I count 1,2,3,4 tines center just right (his left) on the brisket and BOOM! deer takes off and at 100-120 yards through thick trees no chance for a follow-up shot. Lower everything down..climb down. Load gun, head to area..nothing damn where was he standing? I lost my place markers..look around.. nothing! Crap am I gonna have to climb the tree again to see where he was standing?? Let me look around a little more..What's that smell?? that's deer! I look over and there he is laying dead. A perfect heart shot! No blood except where I initially shot (which I found later)..all blood was internal. He's not a wall hanger but a good PA buck! 4 hours of dragging later I had him out! I'm still friggin sore..anyway back to Ohio for the late bow season!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

GR8, congrats on getting the buck, i didn't hear much shooting opening day... I was hunting near home in 5b trying to fill my doe tag. As usual, only having a doe tag left at 7:10 the first morning i had a buck 10 yards from me but oh well no tag. I was finally able to get out again on Saturday and dropped this big ole doe as she was doubling back around on our deer drivers. Good luck to those all still hunting.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Guys
- Jerry, that's great news on the medical front, glad to hear it. Congrats on the doe too.
- Good work on the buck GR8.
- Hyde, welcome to the caribou club! very nice!
- Canuck, thanks for the photos, whata neat "adventure" job!

-fsh
Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Add another one to the tally for the Underdogs fellas.

He isn't the biggest buck in the woods but Iwas tickled pink to get him after all the effort put inthis fall.

The tale of the tape shows 135 5/8. His picture is in the official score card thread and the story is in the bowhunting thread so I won't bore anyone with any more overkill here .

I will say he was one tough buck.....

If a few more guys on our teamcould get lucky during the late seasons the underdogs could turn into the top dogs.[8D]

Quick Reply: 16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.